[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 89255 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »

But, to your point, neither were Wojo's guys/recruits - and it isn't uncommon for transfers to result as a result of a coaching change.  However, that usually takes place at the time of departure of former coach - not after choosing to stay and play for the new coach.
I suspect there are plenty of examples Of guys who choose to leave after choosing to stay.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
Incorrect. Assuming both transfer to new schools after the semester, they'll have to sit out a year.  They've both participated in two seasons at MU - down goes two years of eligibility.  Fast forward a year from now, they'll be about a week away from being eligible.  Then they'll play, burn their third year, and have 1 year remaining. 

Despite all the bad speculation in this thread, you are the most correct.  The is an additional caveat that if either (or both) of theme were to elect to sit out ALL of next year, they could still play two more years.  i.e.

Either
13-14 - 1 year
14-15 - 1/2 year (counts as 1 year eligibility wise)
15-16 - 1/2 year (counts as 1 year eligibility wise)
16-17 - 1 year

OR...
13-14 - 1 year
14-15 - 1/2 year (counts as 1 year eligibility wise)
15-16 - Sit out (zero years...)
16-17 - 1 year
17-18 - 1 year

You have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility..

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
While we may not want to admit it, it's more likely Wojo has less success his first five seasons than Buzz had.  A 16-16-8 run over three seasons is tough accomplishment.

Let's just write off the next five seasons already....

I'm not, rather just pointing out that despite our opinions about the man and his departure, Buzz Williams accomplished what is an extremely difficult act to follow.  Despite our optimism for Wojo and his program it's still an improbability he sees that level of success.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:49:37 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
I'm not, rather just pointing out that despite our opinions about the man and his departure, Buzz Williams accomplished what is an extremely difficult act to follow.  Despite our optimism for Wojo and his program it's still an improbability he sees that level of success.

I agree, but that's a statement that holds true no matter who MU would have hired.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
I agree, but that's a statement that holds true no matter who MU would have hired.

That's fair, but the quote lifted from my original statement had to do with recruiting and keeping the talent pool locally being important to the future success of the program.

In some ways the Wojo hiring is like a crossroads for our basketball program in my opinion.  We've had a very good 10-12 year run which saw a final four, changing to the premier basketball conference which was the old Big East, a regular season Big East title and a trip to three consecutive sweet 16's capped by an elite 8 appearance.

A new league (even if it retained it's old name), a new coach and a complete overhaul of the roster is what we have now.  What happens in the next 2-4 years is crucial to either continuing our recent tradition or taking a step back out of the upper echelon of college basketball programs.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
Can't buy your pessimism.  With the talent and height Wojo has recruited, Marquette's winning tradition will continue for many years.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
Can't buy your pessimism.  With the talent and height Wojo has recruited, Marquette's winning tradition will continue for many years.

Your assuming these kids play to their potential.  Just look at how quickly Buzz's consensus top 15 classes both this year and last year have been written off by this message board now that they're not here as being no good.

If I recall, after the news of Buzz leaving for VT, most on here were thinking Cohen was the most expendable of the incoming recruiting class and praying that Hill would stay if no one else did since he was the crown jewel of the incoming freshman.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:13:25 PM by mattyv1908 »

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
Your assuming these kids play to their potential.  Just look at how quickly Buzz's consensus top 15 classes both this year and last year have been written off by this message board now that they're not here as being no good.

If I recall, after the news of Buzz leaving for VT, most on here were thinking Cohen was the most expendable of the incoming recruiting class and praying that Hill would stay if no one else did since he was the crown jewel of the incoming freshman.

Before my transfer thread got locked the other day, I said I expect Dawson, Burton, and JJJ all to transfer. 2 out of 3 so far. Hoping Jajuan sticks around, because once he puts it together, he is going to be phenomenal!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:22:25 PM by Wojo'sMojo »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
Keep playing a scrub like Juan Anderson instead of a better player with more upside like Burton and this is what you get.  

Let anyone post to a basketball board and this is what you get.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
I wish Mr. Burton and Mr. Dawson success at their future destinations.  They seem to be quality individuals.  I hope - like for any 19-20 year old - they find out what they want in life and get it.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »
Good chance one of these could be filled by a JUCO transfer.

There are JUCO's left for 2015?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »
There is no positive way to spin this one.  This year has just gone from hopeful to dispair.

Here's a positive spin, maybe you'll post less as a result.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »
I guess we just traded Bane for Luke in terms of minutes.

Luke will get more than just bane's minutes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »
Before my transfer thread got locked the other day, I said I expect Dawson, Burton, and JJJ all to transfer. 2 out of 3 so far. Hoping Jajuan sticks around, because once he puts it together, he is going to be phenomenal!

Congrats!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
Agree with what you are saying and believe he should work very hard to become a 2 with solid defense. Makes that adjustment the sky is the limit. Question is,can he change or better yet is he willing to change. Wish him all the best and hope he makes it.

He has no skills of a '2'. He can't put the ball on the floor, he has no concept of running off of screens, no chance defensively, and he has never been a perimeter player in his life. There is absolutely no way he can master the skills required for a '2' before his draft class is due.

He is an undersized '4'. That is where his game is suited for. But with only 1.5 years of eligibility, he will need to go mid-major to flourish.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
Dawson, we all had an inkling.  Burton, blindsided.  Where were our so-called posters with sources when we needed them?  LOL.

I see what you did there.  Bringing old thread into a new one.  Who's playbook is that move from?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »
Juan announced his transfer but then changed his mind. I guess Deonte still has some time to reconsider; unless he and Wojo know it is not going to work.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
Not that Burton was the answer, but we have a big hole in the 3 spot next year:

Guards: Rotation of Wilson, Cohen, Noskowiak

Wings: Johnson, Cheatham

Bigs: Ellenson X2, Fischer, Heldt, STJ

Move Ellenson from Bigs to Wings.  Problem solved.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
Move Ellenson from Bigs to Wings.  Problem solved.

Thats where Ellenson said he wanted to play anyways.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
I think Henry's going to be more of a stretch four, in the Kyle Singler mold (tempted to throw out the names Durant, Love and Nowitzki, but keeping expectations in check).

Bob Love? ;)

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2014, 06:36:46 PM »
One problem with "mirroring" the Duke system. We're not Duke. Duke can always get the cream at any position, we can't. So do you recruit to a system or fit the system to the best players you can recruit? Unless you're Duke, maybe you have to "build a new house" every year to be really successful. I guess we'll see.

It's thinking like that that keeps MU from ever getting a top 10 recruiting class.

Oh wait,......

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »
One problem with "mirroring" the Duke system. We're not Duke. Duke can always get the cream at any position, we can't. So do you recruit to a system or fit the system to the best players you can recruit? Unless you're Duke, maybe you have to "build a new house" every year to be really successful. I guess we'll see.

Bo Ryan has done quite well recruiting to his system.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Jim Chones, Tony Smith, Bob Wolf, Ron Glaser, Damon Key, Jim McIlvaine  etc. we're from Wisconsin
Vander Blue, Wes Matthews.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
We lost a couple of good players today.  Obviously most of us expected Dawson to transfer - but Burton?  Comes as a pretty big bombshell - and loss for the MU program.  Clearly it didn't click between Deonte and Wojo.  You never want to see a Top 50 local kid transfer, that showed a lot of promise as a freshman.

Can't blame either one of them for their decision - Dawson's was a no-brainer, yet Deonte had to be quite frustrated as well given his limited playing time considering he blossomed at end of last season and earned All Big East Freshman honors (in 12 minutes per game.)

Both will have nice careers elsewhere, and let's hope Wojo's replacements/plan work.  Losing Burton, in my opinion, is a red flag.  As for Dawson, clearly Wojo wanted John to transfer (no other reason you nail a guy like that, who showed some promise as a freshman to the bench.)  Let's hope Wojo's talent evaluation skills are precise.

I'm seeing it as more of a blue flag.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #249 on: December 09, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
Dont know if this has been mentioned but does anyone think that there is the potential that Deonte takes the year off completely because his mom passed away? That way I believe that he can come back to MU without having lost any eligibility or perhaps even transfer to another school without any penalty.