* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings  (Read 43556 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »
Red Sox trying to corner the market on number 3/4 starters

.....& to buy more time for Rodriguez, Owens, Johnson, Ranaudo, Barnes, Escobar, Stankiewicz & Ball.

I'll take it under the circumstances - grab a host of ground ball pitchers (two in contract years) with competitive FIP projections who eat innings, and see if the offense can keep the team competitive to the trade deadline.  More to come I'm sure, but a reasonable approach to the starting rotation. As an added bonus the OF logjam was cleared somewhat.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
Dombrowski was busy today.   Overall, traded an established major league starter, a minor league utility infielder and a class A pitcher for a major league corner outfielder, two minor league pitchers and a 4-5 starter.   Dombrowski isn't timid.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
White Sox pick up left reliever Dan Jennings from the Marlins for almost nothing.
Another solid move by Rick Hahn. After being suck a train wreck last year, the Sox bullpen is looking promising for 2015.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141211/sports/141219641/

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »
Crazy day for the Dodgers, they spin Heaney to the Angels for Howie Kendrick. 

Basically trade Dee Gordon for Howie Kendrick. 

I likes. 

Love the Dodger moves thus far.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »
Basically trade Dee Gordon for Howie Kendrick. 

I likes. 

Love the Dodger moves thus far.

So does FanGraphs http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-matt-kemp-trade-feels-like-the-vernon-wells-trade/

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
White Sox pick up left reliever Dan Jennings from the Marlins for almost nothing.
Another solid move by Rick Hahn. After being suck a train wreck last year, the Sox bullpen is looking promising for 2015.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141211/sports/141219641/

Yeah, really like the over haul to the pen.  Now it seems like everyone can be a better role.  Also this seems to say that Rodon will have a legit chance at the rotation. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
What has the Brew Crew done?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

With $110M in payroll next year, nothing.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:02 AM »
Cespedes to the Tigers for Porcello

Risky move by the Tigers, they obviously have a stacked lineup but if Scherzer ends up leaving (who knows at this point) they're gonna have a real shaky rotation; Verlander definitely isn't getting any younger

Being a White Sox fan I certainly don't mind seeing that rotation get gutted though
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:40:22 AM by JuniorCardigan »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2014, 07:49:16 AM »
Verlander, Price, Sanchez, Greene, Simon.   Greene had a solid if unspectacular year with the Yankees.   Simon was prone to the home run ball in Cinci, it will be interesting to see if that holds at Comerica Park.   Dombrowski, and the entire Tiger organization, are desperate to get a WS trophy for Mr. Ilitch.   Every move DD makes is with a 2 year window in mind.   And if it doesn't happen this year, I think the team enters rebuild mode. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
Verlander, Price, Sanchez, Greene, Simon.   Greene had a solid if unspectacular year with the Yankees.   Simon was prone to the home run ball in Cinci, it will be interesting to see if that holds at Comerica Park.   Dombrowski, and the entire Tiger organization, are desperate to get a WS trophy for Mr. Ilitch.   Every move DD makes is with a 2 year window in mind.   And if it doesn't happen this year, I think the team enters rebuild mode.  

I'd have a hard time putting too much faith in Simon.  He will be 34 and has had 1 good year as a starter, he has clearly figured some things out judging by his last couple years, but still.  And to make matters even worse, his baseball reference page doesn't even show his numbers from last year!!!! IT CAN"T BE!  Say it aint so Baseballreference.com!  

Edit: Upon further review, with that lineup and in that park, well I think I could probably be an effective 5th starter for the Tigers.  Simon will probably be just fine. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/simonal01.shtml
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:41:12 AM by buckchuckler »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
I don't have a ton of faith in Simon.   But, at worst, he is a back of the rotation guy.    If the Tigers were to sign a different 4-5 starter and move Simon back to the bullpen, it would not surprise me.    Porcello clearly has more upside, but the Tigers wanted another bat.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
I don't have a ton of faith in Simon.   But, at worst, he is a back of the rotation guy.    If the Tigers were to sign a different 4-5 starter and move Simon back to the bullpen, it would not surprise me.    Porcello clearly has more upside, but the Tigers wanted another bat.

Haha, yeah, because you know, Cabrera, Martinez, Kinsler etc just aren't potent enough

tower912

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
They weren't last year.   The best thing about Cespedes is that it is a contract year.   Detroit desperately needs dirtbags, hustle players, grinders.   Cespedes isn't one.   But, in a contract year, he may fake it for a year. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
White sox sign melky cabrera

Apparently about 3/45.  Too much for him in my estimation.  By quite a bit. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:40:06 PM by buckchuckler »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »
White sox sign melky cabrera

Apparently about 3/45.  Too much for him in my estimation.  By quite a bit. 

Maybe so. But I'd rather have a 150 game player at $15m/yr than a 32 game player at $30m/yr

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »

When you've committed a huge percentage of your payroll to a cheating, lying sack of $hit, you don't have much financial freedom to buy free agents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »
Maybe so. But I'd rather have a 150 game player at $15m/yr than a 32 game player at $30m/yr

True, and I guess if they now trade viciedo the net is even less.  Deal is being reported as 3/42, and Viciedo was expected to make about 4.5.  This also puts the mariners in more of a position where they need viciedo even more as they were the ones expected to sign cabrera
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:03:05 AM by buckchuckler »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
When you've committed a huge percentage of your payroll to a cheating, lying sack of $hit, you don't have much financial freedom to buy free agents.

Ain't it the truth. Braun bf'd The Crew for years to come knowin' full well he's got the bread when he eventually gets caught. Absolutely brilliant move on Ryan's part.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
I don't know if you guys have seen the new Pete Rose commercial but it's pretty hilarious.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »
With $110M in payroll next year, nothing.

Brewers only have $77M committed right now with Ramirez and Gallardo exercised, and only two players eligible for arbitration (Kintzler & Maldonado). Otherwise, everyone else is at/near the league minimum... without any FA signings, Brewers' opening day payroll will be right around $87-88M.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
Padres get Wil Myers.  

With adding Kemp and Myers and hanging on to Ross, Cashner and Kennedy, the Padres may be able to make some noise. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:54:08 PM by buckchuckler »

brandx

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
Brewers only have $77M committed right now with Ramirez and Gallardo exercised, and only two players eligible for arbitration (Kintzler & Maldonado). Otherwise, everyone else is at/near the league minimum... without any FA signings, Brewers' opening day payroll will be right around $87-88M.

Actually, they are close to $100 mil right now.

5 starters     37.5
4 infielders   22.5
4 OFs           27
Closer            9

That's 96 mil for 14 players - even if all 11 others were at 500k - which they aren't - they will be over $100 mil

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
Actually, they are close to $100 mil right now.

5 starters     37.5
4 infielders   22.5
4 OFs           27
Closer            9

That's 96 mil for 14 players - even if all 11 others were at 500k - which they aren't - they will be over $100 mil

Mean culpa... you're right; apparently the guy who updates the spreadsheets on Cot's site did so this afternoon.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
And now the Padres have acquired Derek Norris and Justin Upton.  Quite the remodel for their team. 

feedback