[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today  (Read 46991 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lErnSFIV-2s?color2=FBE9EC&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lErnSFIV-2s?color2=FBE9EC&amp;amp;version=3</a>

🏀

• All American
Re: New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Yeah, kicks Jurassic World's ass.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
Yeah, kicks Jurassic World's ass.

I hadn't watched Jurassic World's trailer until just now.  It doesn't look too bad, but seems pretty formulaic.  The shot of the scientist with the flare is a copy of a scene in Aliens with Ripley.  Started laughing when I saw the raptors come out of the doors.  It looked like they were being raced like horses at first glance.  Come to Jurassic World to bet on the Raptor Races !    Hmmm.... Razorclaw is 5 to 1, but Thunderclap has a quicker first step @ 7 to 1.  I'll take thunderclap. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Glad they've reduced George Lucas to just a bit more than a figurehead - it has a chance to be good based on that alone.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
Glad they've reduced George Lucas to just a bit more than a figurehead - it has a chance to be good based on that alone.

Lucas was too old and had lost his creative spark when he rebooted Star Wars.  Those movies focused on special effects rather than interesting character development and plot.

The new Star Wars has a long way to go.  I was skeptical of JJ Abrams being hired to direct it.  Most of his praise came from the Star Trek reboots, but I didn't think either of those movies was that spectacular.  The storylines were quite basic giving those movies a feel that they were more like a glorified TV episode rather than a feature length movie.  Based on that, I'm still reluctant about the next Star Wars.  I just hope they don't sacrifice a great script for purpose of mass appeal and dollars. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »

I just hope they don't sacrifice a great script for purpose of mass appeal and dollars. 

So...you want Disney....to do the exact opposite of the money making formula of the other 6 movies. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
See, the jurassic world trailer made me way more excited than the star wars one. In either case, no person can make me more excited to see a movie then john williams

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
See, the jurassic world trailer made me way more excited than the star wars one. In either case, no person can make me more excited to see a movie then john williams

JW was an actual trailer, this was tease.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
Am I the only one who felt massively underwhelmed with this? I realize it's just a teaser, but for someone who grew up worshiping at the altar of Star Wars, they lost a TON of cachet with Episodes I-III. This doesn't give me any sense of who the heroes are, who the villains are, or why I should care. Once upon a time, some 30 years ago, Star Wars was the standard for space opera, but with the advent of both Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy in the past decade, Star Wars has to show me something serious to reach the bar set by those two.

All I really get out of this is "Stormtroopers, droids, land speeders, okay, it's a Star Wars movie, oh look, a lightsaber with a hilt, I guess that's cool but Darth Maul's double-bladed was cooler, and there's the Millennium Falcon, thank you, good night." Yes, it's Star Wars, yes, it's Abrams, but no, I don't feel all that excited because of this teaser. Much more excited for Guardians 2.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
Am I the only one who felt massively underwhelmed with this? I realize it's just a teaser, but for someone who grew up worshiping at the altar of Star Wars, they lost a TON of cachet with Episodes I-III. This doesn't give me any sense of who the heroes are, who the villains are, or why I should care. Once upon a time, some 30 years ago, Star Wars was the standard for space opera, but with the advent of both Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy in the past decade, Star Wars has to show me something serious to reach the bar set by those two.

All I really get out of this is "Stormtroopers, droids, land speeders, okay, it's a Star Wars movie, oh look, a lightsaber with a hilt, I guess that's cool but Darth Maul's double-bladed was cooler, and there's the Millennium Falcon, thank you, good night." Yes, it's Star Wars, yes, it's Abrams, but no, I don't feel all that excited because of this teaser. Much more excited for Guardians 2.

They just got done shooting the film, so this trailer isn't going to give much.  Abrams, I think, is overrated and won't be able to give it a magic touch.  My guess is that it is better than episodes 1-3, but falls a star short of the original trilogy.  It's going to be tough to repeat original success.  In order to do that, you'd have to risk almost reinventing things a bit with the franchise but I bet the studio exec pukes are too conservative to do that.  Instead, they'll play it safe and gross the 1 billion worldwide.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »
So...you want Disney....to do the exact opposite of the money making formula of the other 6 movies. 

You think Empire Strikes Back was written with only a money-making formula
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »

It felt more like Star Wars than anything I ever saw from the prequels. The X-Wings looked perfect. It has the grittiness factors of the original. The stormtroopers are back.

You were looking for too much. It's a teaser's teaser, it doesn't want to lay out the plot for you. For this, they still have over a year to build and keep the hype. Why give anything away so soon? All they needed was to introduce some of the scenes, characters, and feel.

Also, really Firefly and Guardians have now set the bar? You really want to stand by that? I mean, they're cute and all but nothing on the scale and scope of Star Wars...nor will ever have the influence (to me, Guardians is just another, albeit solid and cute, Marvel superhero film). Don't let the prequels tear down what Star Wars is...ignore them. This is the  Star Wars we've wanted since 1983.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:45:16 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
They just got done shooting the film, so this trailer isn't going to give much.  Abrams, I think, is overrated and won't be able to give it a magic touch.  My guess is that it is better than episodes 1-3, but falls a star short of the original trilogy.  It's going to be tough to repeat original success.  In order to do that, you'd have to risk almost reinventing things a bit with the franchise but I bet the studio exec pukes are too conservative to do that.  Instead, they'll play it safe and gross the 1 billion worldwide.

Two words: Lawrence Kasdan.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
Two words: Lawrence Kasdan.

You made my day there.  I haven't been following this much as to avoid all of the spoilers and leaked information.  This, however, is a game changer.  It reminded me of a tidbit, I read a few weeks ago.  Anthony Daniels said this film would be better than Empire Strikes Back.  Now that I have connected the dots with the trailer, it does seem quite dark - like sh*t really hits the fan.  If that is the case then I just may have to bring an extra pair of underwear along in December 2015. 

All I can say Aughnanure is that today is YOUR DAY.  Do whatever you want, and if anyone challenges you just say that MDDG is 100% behind you. 

May the Force Be With You

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Also, really Firefly and Guardians have no set the bar? I mean, they're cute and all but nothing on the scale and scope of Star Wars...nor will ever have the influence (to me, Guardians is just another, albeit solid and cute, Marvel superhero film). Don't let the prequels tear down what Star Wars is. This is the  Star Wars we've wanted since 1983.

Firefly was televised perfection. I could wax about Guardians all day, but the real problem is that I've seen better Star Wars video game promos. This had no substance and no hook. Why should I have faith in this? Because it has stormtroopers? There is nothing here to convince me this is the Star Wars we've waited 30+ years for.

And Abrams isn't beyond reproach. Lost completely lost the plot for 2 seasons before somewhat redeeming itself. His latest show, Revolution, had horrible pacing and couldn't hold interest. His film track record is spotty, some good and some not so much.

I want this to be good, but I'm keeping my expectations low. And if it flops, Peter Quill will still be the coolest guy in space and Thanos will still be the baddest bad in the universe.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »
Firefly was televised perfection. I could wax about Guardians all day, but the real problem is that I've seen better Star Wars video game promos. This had no substance and no hook. Why should I have faith in this? Because it has stormtroopers? There is nothing here to convince me this is the Star Wars we've waited 30+ years for.

And Abrams isn't beyond reproach. Lost completely lost the plot for 2 seasons before somewhat redeeming itself. His latest show, Revolution, had horrible pacing and couldn't hold interest. His film track record is spotty, some good and some not so much.

I want this to be good, but I'm keeping my expectations low. And if it flops, Peter Quill will still be the coolest guy in space and Thanos will still be the baddest bad in the universe.

Hmm, whatevs I guess I just disagree strongly. I liked Guardians, but I didn't think it was anything special. Fun, but looked cartoonish (Thanos) and fakey and that, to me, is not what Star Wars is (the prequels, yes). Love Chris Pratt though. I wanted the feel, and a tiny, hint, and that's what I got. Remember, this is an insanely far-out teaser for a movie, so I think understanding that would help.

No Abrams isn't beyond reproach. Super 8 disappointed me and his tendency to use twists and work backwards from there semi-concern me. I do think that him directing the first one (and not all 3), is a good sign. But the writers are there (Toy Story 3, Empire, Little Miss Sunshine), the cinematography will look great, and the director is not George Lucas.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:30:51 PM by Aughnanure »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
It felt more like Star Wars than anything I ever saw from the prequels. The X-Wings looked perfect. It has the grittiness factors of the original. The stormtroopers are back.

You were looking for too much. It's a teaser's teaser, it doesn't want to lay out the plot for you. For this, they still have over a year to build and keep the hype. Why give anything away so soon? All they needed was to introduce some of the scenes, characters, and feel.

Also, really Firefly and Guardians have now set the bar? You really want to stand by that? I mean, they're cute and all but nothing on the scale and scope of Star Wars...nor will ever have the influence (to me, Guardians is just another, albeit solid and cute, Marvel superhero film). Don't let the prequels tear down what Star Wars is...ignore them. This is the  Star Wars we've wanted since 1983.

Which of course brings up the question ...... What is the franchise or film these days that immerses you into a different universe with great characters, soundtrack, and storyline?  They are few and far between.  Many critics have Empire Strikes Back as the #2 or #1 movie of all time, with Citizen Kane interchanging spots.  It's difficult to come close to that high achievement.  After taking these high standards into account and tempering the scale a bit - I'd say the last movie that got me close to being immersed in a different universe was Inception.  The soundtrack, plot, special effects, and environment were revolutionary.  Prior to that I'd go with Matrix.  Both of these movies, though are in lower tiers of course.  Any others you can think of to add?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
The first two Lord of the Rings movies were great for that. I'm still bitter about the unforgivable sin of leaving The Razing of the Shire out of Return of the King, so the third movie gets a big thumbs down.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
The first two Lord of the Rings movies were great for that. I'm still bitter about the unforgivable sin of leaving The Razing of the Shire out of Return of the King, so the third movie gets a big thumbs down.

Yup. 3rd LOTR was a step down from the previous 2.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »

Razing of the Shire would have been a great way to end the Two Towers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
It was funny that RotK won all the awards. The first two LotR movies actually deserved best picture, but the third won it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
It was funny that RotK won all the awards. The first two LotR movies actually deserved best picture, but the third won it.

I thin most voting members of the committee would tell you they didn't give the awards for the 3rd, so much as a reward for the trilogy as a whole. Jackson advanced film-making a lot with what he did throughout those movies

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
Haven't seen the teaser yet, but about to watch.

Brew - it's a teaser, not a trailer. There is a subtle difference.

I'm really worried about these next 3. The biggest thing about the original trilogy was the writing and somewhat, the directing. When Lucas wasn't hands on with everything and there weren't the studio execs there are today, the movies were fantastic (the originals - specifically, Empire). But you can see Lucas wanted to control everything with LOTS of studio control for the prequels (pod racing? wtf?) and it became more of an action/fun flick than the "opera" that the originals were.

Where the rubber meets the road with this next trilogy is how much the studio lets the writers determine the course of the movie. I'm not a huge Abrams fan, but I am happy about his decision to use puppets, large-scale sets, large-scale models and other little decisions that follow much more with the originals than the prequels.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
I thin most voting members of the committee would tell you they didn't give the awards for the 3rd, so much as a reward for the trilogy as a whole. Jackson advanced film-making a lot with what he did throughout those movies

Oh, I fully realize that. As we left the theater I told my girlfriend "that festering turd is going to sweep the Oscars."

As far as the teaser I just wanted a little more. After the second trilogy, anything with Star Wars on the title needs to do more to convince me it will be worth the time. Though admittedly, I will go see it in theaters no matter how good or bad it is. Whether they redeem the franchise or make things worse, I'll still go see it. Because after all, it's Star Wars.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
Oh, I fully realize that. As we left the theater I told my girlfriend "that festering turd is going to sweep the Oscars."

As far as the teaser I just wanted a little more. After the second trilogy, anything with Star Wars on the title needs to do more to convince me it will be worth the time. Though admittedly, I will go see it in theaters no matter how good or bad it is. Whether they redeem the franchise or make things worse, I'll still go see it. Because after all, it's Star Wars.

I think you may need to think about it some more because the teaser set up a lot of questions.  Theoretically this movie has to take place at least 25 years after Jedi.  Why are here still Stormstoopers and ones with updated armor?  Why is the rebel alliance still flying X-wings?  If the remade version of VI is canon than Corusant fell with the destruction of DS2, what has become of the Empire?  It all implies, especially with TIEs attacking the Falcon that the rebels are still rebels and the Empire is a major thing.

Biggest issue I have is they killed the EU, if not for that, episodes 1 and 2 might have killed my interest.  The fact that there won't be any Zahn characters in the new movie sucks
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."