[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by jfp61
[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NY Post: Forget Kentucky, Big East is the story of college basketball  (Read 3793 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
By Zach Braziller

One by one, each Big East coach spoke optimistically of the new league on its media day, championing its depth and quality, its present and future.

It came off as coach-speak, overly optimistic hyperbole that was met with quizzical looks and slight smirks.

Those 10 coaches are the ones smiling now, for the time being at least. They knew what everyone else is just finding out: The Big East, with all its question marks and unknown commodities, is better than advertised.

Forget top-ranked Kentucky and its platoon system. The Big East has been the story of the early season, carrying a stunning 41-5 record into Black Friday. The basketball-centric league, with just one preseason nationally ranked team — Villanova — already has defeated five ranked opponents, three more than any other league.

“It doesn’t surprise me what these guys are doing,” Villanova coach Jay Wright told reporters Tuesday night. “I think that this league is going to be much harder than last year.

“I never want to be in New York and say that I don’t miss the old Big East because I do, but in the same breath I’m really excited about this new league.”

Wednesday was a banner day for the conference, arguably the biggest one since the new league was created.

Butler, picked to finish seventh, stunned No. 5 North Carolina in the Battle 4 Atlantis opener, thoroughly outplaying the loaded Tar Heels. Georgetown edged No. 18 Florida on D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera’s clutch jumper with 3.4 seconds remaining, also at the Bahamas tournament, and nearly upset No. 2 Wisconsin on Thursday.

And St. John’s — which the league desperately wants and needs to emerge as a tournament team this season because it’s a major-market team — rode a dominant second half performance to knock off Big Ten foe Minnesota in the NIT Season Tip-Off, earning a major opportunity Friday night against No. 10 Gonzaga at the Garden.

Seton Hall and its heavily hyped freshmen class won the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands, and 12th-ranked Villanova knocked off two top-20 teams, No. 14 VCU and No. 19 Michigan, to claim the Legends Classic in Brooklyn this week, which likely pushes the Wildcats into the top 10 when the next AP rankings are released.

Providence has shown it may be top 25-caliber, carrying a 5-0 record and impressive victories over ACC teams Notre Dame and Florida In the Hall-of-Fame Tip-Off into a Sunday showdown at No. 1 Kentucky.

Creighton, expected to take a major step back after losing Doug McDermott and picked ninth in the league, has gotten off to a 5-0 start that includes a win over Oklahoma, ranked 18th at the time, that enabled the Bluejays to break into the AP rankings at No. 23 last week.

This is still a small body of work, a handful of games that doesn’t tell us anything about what will happen next week, next month or next year, but it is significant nevertheless.

This is the time of year when conferences separate from one another, when résumés for March get built.

The selection committee takes notice.

March, of course, is when the league really will be judged. The Big East needs a better showing this year, after receiving just four bids and failing to advance a single team past the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

But this is a start. The new Big East had to begin somewhere.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/27/forget-kentucky-the-big-east-is-the-story-of-college-basketball/
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: NY Post: Forget Kentucky, Big East is the story of college basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
A long way to go this year, but couldn't ask for a better start conference wide.  And it's especially sweet with all of the people (Badger fans) who have been beating the drum of the Big East fall to mid major status after one year.   Let's see now if the conference can keep this up.  I root for every Big East team in non-con games.  

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
I have always felt we are in a very strong league. The double round robin will be very exciting in conference play. Every game will be a war.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
Not that we warranted it, but not a single mention of MU. Win tonight and turn that around.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
Not that we warranted it, but not a single mention of MU. Win tonight and turn that around.

Considering what he would have had to say, we were lucky to avoid a mention.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:59 AM »
This article seems to have been a bit of a jinx:

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »

Well, I don't think anyone expected the BE to run the table for the rest of the season.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »
Also note that the big east leads all conferences in victories against ranked teams (5). So they are not just beating up on less competition.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
Agreed, I ran a piece on Breitbart sports on the big east surge at about the same time, so maybe I assisted on the jinx. Really the only disappointing g loss the last 2/days was xavier - I don't think Creighton should have been ranked despite how excited I was over their upset of Oklahoma.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »

I just hope they don't write about some pitcher's no-hitter next.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback