[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson  (Read 19067 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »

He had limitations though, especially on the defensive end.

Duane IMO has shown the most of the young players and IMO is going to be the best PG since Travis.  

Better than Dom?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
That's exactly how I feel. I look at Duane and think two things. First, he can be a contributor but is still too raw to be the man this year. Second, he could be the best Marquette point guard in decades and might have a chance to be the first Marquette player to score 2,000 points.

Yes, way premature, but it's been a long time since a freshman looked this impressive this quickly.

I'd love it if Duane is the best MU point guard in decades because James, Diener and Miller were pretty effen good.

It was only a month ago that some here were comparing Deonte to Charles Barkley and were hoping he would not leave early for the NBA. (Went back and fixed this to add "not," a word one never wants to inadvertently omit!)

I'm not a big hype guy. I'm not even expecting The Great Henry Ellenson to be the next Dirk. I merely hope each of our guys plays to his true potential.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:34:01 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
I'd love it if Duane is the best MU point guard in decades because James, Diener and Miller were pretty effen good.

It was only a month ago that some here were comparing Deonte to Charles Barkley and were hoping he would leave early for the NBA.

I'm not a big hype guy. I'm not even expecting The Great Henry Ellenson to be the next Dirk. I merely hope each of our guys plays to his true potential.
I think Duane takes it one game at a time. He seems very focused on doing the right thing when he has the ball.  That is one of his strengths and one of the reasons I am enthusiastic about his potential to keep improving.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
Better than Dom?

I don't see a comparison at this point in both of their careers.  Wilson can surely get better and surpass Dom. James on the offensive side, but defensively it's not even close right now.  

Unfortunately, what hasn't been discussed and is the most important job of a PG is the ability to control game tempo.  MU's tempo has been disrupted many times with an inability to blow through a full court press and control the game through transition.  The majority of the time, we have been playing at the opponent's speed.  When Dom. James had the ball, the defense couldn't press often.  He was just too quick and too great of a ball handler to be stifled.  The offense had a much better tempo and wasn't nearly as choppy as it is now.  DJ could get to the hoop quicker as well, which would open up passing lanes to distribute the ball - probably better than any pg in MU history.  

Personally, I see Wilson as more of a hybrid guard at this point until he improves his ball handling and ability to control tempo.    

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 07:24:43 PM »

It was only a month ago that some here were comparing Deonte to Charles Barkley and were hoping he would leave early for the NBA.

Agreed, and I hate even thinking that far in advance. Wilson could just as easily end up being an average player going through a hot streak. Maybe he ends up a career 70% FT shooter, barely maintains double-digits in scoring, is turnover prone, and never gets up to speed on the defensive end. But there are moments where you look at him now and think "wow...he could be really damn good."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
Better than Dom?

Ooops.  Probably not.  But I feel very positive about him obviously.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »

Exactly. Really never understood this comparison. On his best day, Deonte simply doesn't rebound at a level that is anywhere near Sir Charles on his worst. In fact, taking into account his natural athleticism, leaping ability and build, Deonte probably doesn't rebound at an adequate level period. I am a big fan of the Beast of Burton and he clearly has significant potential and hope that soon he starts showcasing the unique talent that he is. I realize that he had a devastating loss this fall that likely set him back, but rebounding is an area that the team will need him to improve upon. 6 Rebounds in 81 minutes thus far.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
Duane had some lapses today, but he looks damn good.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
He did.   He is young and made a couple of careless turnovers.   But I have no problem handing the keys to him next year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
Duane is everything I hoped he would be. We want him on the floor for maximum minutes for the next 4 years .  Good things happen when he has the ball.

Duane won't be here for four more years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:22 PM »
Duane won't be here for four more years.

Why? Do you expect him to graduate early and then go to Oxford?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »
Better than Dom?
I know there's a lot of dom james lovers on this board but I'm going to say right now that Duane is better and has higher upside.  

Dom was a little guy who could dunk and occasionally did some exciting stuff, but ultimately his lack of defense combined with poor shot selection and low shooting percentage hurt more than it helped.  Plus, he got worse each year after his freshman year.

Duane is about the same defensively (now) but he's longer and seems to have better instincts.  Offensively, he's MUCH better at playing within the offense, making the open 3, and selecting good shots overall.  

It's gonna be a lot of fun to watch Duane grow and develop.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
Dom was a little guy who could dunk and occasionally did some exciting stuff, but ultimately his lack of defense combined with poor shot selection and low shooting percentage hurt more than it helped.  Plus, he got worse each year after his freshman year.

I know the thread is about Duane, but your memory regarding Dom's defense, especially his senior year is clearly broken.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 10:45:35 PM »
He did.   He is young and made a couple of careless turnovers.   But I have no problem handing the keys to him next year. 

Wilson has a long way to go before he's handed the keys.  He still hasn't demonstrated he can move and handle the ball well and plays more of a 2/3 guard in this offense.  He's a guy who can slash and shoot.  As far as distributing and handling the ball ..... he's got many more miles to go.  

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »

Dom couldn't hit free throws, was a sub par long range shooter, and certainly never lived up to the expectations we had when he was BEROY. But his defense was fantastic. Absolutely elite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
I know there's a lot of dom james lovers on this board but I'm going to say right now that Duane is better and has higher upside.  

Duane is about the same defensively (now) but he's longer and seems to have better instincts.  Offensively, he's MUCH better at playing within the offense, making the open 3, and selecting good shots overall.  

It's gonna be a lot of fun to watch Duane grow and develop.

Clearly, one of the worst scouting reports ever written on this board.   I wouldn't be surprised if you were the scout that discovered Brett Roseboro. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
Not sure he is destined for the point.  There have always been those who followed his career who think he is a better 2. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
Go watch some tape on Dom.  He was an elite on ball defender.  He went for stats (steals) which meant he didn't play help defense and he didn't deny the ball well.  In other words, a good individual defender, not a good team defender.  I always thought he was over-rated, especially in his senior year, because of the 2 steals per game when his defensive game was actually incomplete.

I think the rest of my point is that with Wojo's defensive expertise, Duane should end up better, because team defense is just as important as individual.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »
Go watch some tape on Dom.  He was an elite on ball defender.  He went for stats (steals) which meant he didn't play help defense and he didn't deny the ball well.  In other words, a good individual defender, not a good team defender.  I always thought he was over-rated, especially in his senior year, because of the 2 steals per game when his defensive game was actually incomplete.

I think the rest of my point is that with Wojo's defensive expertise, Duane should end up better, because team defense is just as important as individual.
Maybe you should re-watch the tape.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
Why? Do you expect him to graduate early and then go to Oxford?

Call it a hunch. Bring this thread up at the start of the 2017-2018 basketball season and I'll happily admit I was wrong if duane is still here.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »

Guess what?  When people try to make places and force the action - they put themselves in a much greater position to make turnovers.  But, everyone probably liked that sweet drive and dish to Steve late in the game that Steve converted for an And 1 - but if Duane doesn't go into the trees and increase the chances of potentially turning it over, that look for Steve doesn't get created.

Classic risk reward scenario.  Low risk (Derrick) = Low Reward.

Who do you feel should have the keys this season??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »

Who do you feel should have the keys this season??

That depends on where Noskowiak is in his development.  I could very well see Wojo recruiting a transfer or juco PG that can bring up and handle the ball for next year.  We will have to see how Wilson develops, but you don't just become a ball handler overnight.  He's better off at the #2 position at this point. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
Call it a hunch. Bring this thread up at the start of the 2017-2018 basketball season and I'll happily admit I was wrong if duane is still here.

Heard that he won't be here for all 4 as well. People that know him have said to me they don't expect him to finish out 4 years. Kid has a lot of swagger and confidence a out him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
After watching a few games of Wojo's offense, it is obvious that no one player "has the keys."  This is different than Buzz's offense where the PG runs the show.  Oftentimes Derrick starts the offense up top, but it is hard for me to call him a point guard, because Carlino and Duane are handling the ball just as much.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »
After watching a few games of Wojo's offense, it is obvious that no one player "has the keys."  This is different than Buzz's offense where the PG runs the show.  Oftentimes Derrick starts the offense up top, but it is hard for me to call him a point guard, because Carlino and Duane are handling the ball just as much.

Metaphors, and next year Carlino and Derrick will be vapor trails.   As next year's roster is currently constructed, I have little doubt that Duane will be the starting PG and more of a primary ballhandler than any of the 3 this year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback