[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Duane Wilson  (Read 18914 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Duane Wilson
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
I am almost blown away how good this kid is already after sitting out a year.  He didn't have his best game last night, but still impacted the outcome, his tip in off Derrick's miss was a big play. 

Man, I really love this kids game, think how good he'll be by conference! 

tower912

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
He showed really good explosiveness getting to the basket, even though he got called for charging.   Having watched him these first few games, I am convinced he is the PG of the future.   It still niggles around the back of my head that if he had been healthy all year last season, HE would have been the one to run the point, not Dawson, but we shall never know. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
I think the year off really did him well. From everything I heard, he was behind the curve before the injury. Clearly spending time in the weight room, working on conditioning and his game has him playing where we hoped he'd be from day one. Who knows if he ever would have been healthy had he tried to come back last year? We all remember Junior's freshman year comeback, which did pretty much no good and cost him a year of eligibility.

I had my reservations about Duane, but he is definitely exceeding expectations. If he's here for four years, he could go down as an all-time great.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
 Having watched him these first few games, I am convinced he is the PG of the future.   

Agree completely on that statement, and he's going to be a huge upgrade over our last two PG's - Cadougan and Derrick Wilson, both extremely flawed players.. 

Shark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
Agree completely on that statement, and he's going to be a huge upgrade over our last two PG's - Cadougan and Derrick Wilson, both extremely flawed players.. 

Cadougan and Wilson both leave a bit to be desired. But I must say both definitely have/had tremendous poise and leadership abilities. I was 3rd row for that UCONN game where Cadougan hit that three. What an awesome game. I miss Junior.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
For all of his flaws, Junior was clutch when we needed him and was GREAT in transition.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
Cadougan and Wilson both leave a bit to be desired. But I must say both definitely have/had tremendous poise and leadership abilities. I was 3rd row for that UCONN game where Cadougan hit that three. What an awesome game. I miss Junior.

He had limitations though, especially on the defensive end.

Duane IMO has shown the most of the young players and IMO is going to be the best PG since Travis.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »

He had limitations though, especially on the defensive end.

Duane IMO has shown the most of the young players and IMO is going to be the best PG since Travis.  

I can see that.   Eventually.   This year, I still believe he is going to spend more time off of the ball, simply due to the make-up of the roster.   Next year, he gets the keys. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
I liked what I saw yesterday out of Duane.  Derrick has his strengths but is incredibly limited (he's made 3 three pointers in four years..nuff said) on the offensive side.

In regards to Junior, the guy doesn't get the props he deserves.  Great player.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »
He showed really good explosiveness getting to the basket, even though he got called for charging.   Having watched him these first few games, I am convinced he is the PG of the future.   It still niggles around the back of my head that if he had been healthy all year last season, HE would have been the one to run the point, not Dawson, but we shall never know.  

He also had a nice drive and finish to the left that got called for a travel when it definitely was not.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »
Duane is legit.  Only limitation is he needs to continue to get better defensively.  At times he loses his man. Having said that, he can score in bunches like DJO used to when he first joined MU
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
He also had a nice drive and finish to the left that got called for a travel when it definitely was not.

They never showed that replay, but I think you are 100% correct here.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 11:59:27 AM »
They never showed that replay, but I think you are 100% correct here.

Had it on DVR and rewound it a few times. Two steps and up, definitely not a travel. He took some big strides so I can see where the ref got confused, but it was the wrong call.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:04:34 PM »
I am very excited about Duane's long-range prospects. He has "it." That tip-in showed amazing instincts. I thought all three of his 3-point attempts were in when they left his hand. He has wonderful form and is going to be a deadly 3-point shooter. For a kid, he is so calm at the FT line in clutch situations. He might never be a great defender, but neither was Diener. If his defense is adequate and his offensive skills continue to blossom, we could be looking at a multi-year all-conference player who will perfectly complement all the bigs and wings we have coming in. Those who have read me in the past know I don't toss around praise easily, either.

As for the current and previous PGs ... please don't compare Derrick to Junior. Junior could hit a free throw. He could hit a 15-foot jumper. He became a pretty darn good penetrator who had to be defended. He was a well-above-average finisher. Derrick is none of those things. Junior was a major contributor on an Elite Eight team. Derrick is best as a 10-15 mpg role player.

Having said that, I continue to maintain that Junior's PG ability is the absolute floor of what should be acceptable for a legitimate contender. Duane isn't better than Junior yet, but he certainly might be, and not too far down the road.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »
I am very excited about Duane's long-range prospects. He has "it." That tip-in showed amazing instincts. I thought all three of his 3-point attempts were in when they left his hand. He has wonderful form and is going to be a deadly 3-point shooter. For a kid, he is so calm at the FT line in clutch situations. He might never be a great defender, but neither was Diener. If his defense is adequate and his offensive skills continue to blossom, we could be looking at a multi-year all-conference player who will perfectly complement all the bigs and wings we have coming in. Those who have read me in the past know I don't toss around praise easily, either.

As for the current and previous PGs ... please don't compare Derrick to Junior. Junior could hit a free throw. He could hit a 15-foot jumper. He became a pretty darn good penetrator who had to be defended. He was a well-above-average finisher. Derrick is none of those things. Junior was a major contributor on an Elite Eight team. Derrick is best as a 10-15 mpg role player.

Having said that, I continue to maintain that Junior's PG ability is the absolute floor of what should be acceptable for a legitimate contender. Duane isn't better than Junior yet, but he certainly might be, and not too far down the road.

Doesn't it make you wonder what was Buzz's obsession with stocky PG's that were limited offensively?  You'd think a defensively minded, guard oriented coach would recruit a PG who's a quick slasher, quick hands, and slash to the hoop. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
Doesn't it make you wonder what was Buzz's obsession with stocky PG's that were limited offensively?  You'd think a defensively minded, guard oriented coach would recruit a PG who's a quick slasher, quick hands, and slash to the hoop. 

Buzz recruited Duane.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:41:25 PM »

Buzz recruited Duane.

I know that. 

The purpose of statement is that his former recruits didn't fit his system to a tee.  In addition, to say that Duane Wilson is the answer, is quite premature.  There isn't a true, effective PG on this team yet.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
As already touched up on a little I really like the look of his 3pt shot. It isn't falling consistently yet but it comes out of the hand good and he takes them at good times when hes open.

I know he shot it well in high school but there is no way to know if that translates and if he had great form. Here you can see he does. That miss in the second half that would have put us up 10 was a great look.

And I don't think his free throw shooting needs much mention. He should be the one with the ball late in games. He's real good at the line.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Duane is everything I hoped he would be. We want him on the floor for maximum minutes for the next 4 years .  Good things happen when he has the ball.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »
I know that. 

The purpose of statement is that his former recruits didn't fit his system to a tee.  In addition, to say that Duane Wilson is the answer, is quite premature.  There isn't a true, effective PG on this team yet.
Of course it's premature.  He is 5 games into his Marquette career.  He will be a great player.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »
Of course it's premature.  He is 5 games into his Marquette career.  He will be a great player.

That's exactly how I feel. I look at Duane and think two things. First, he can be a contributor but is still too raw to be the man this year. Second, he could be the best Marquette point guard in decades and might have a chance to be the first Marquette player to score 2,000 points.

Yes, way premature, but it's been a long time since a freshman looked this impressive this quickly.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
That's exactly how I feel. I look at Duane and think two things. First, he can be a contributor but is still too raw to be the man this year. Second, he could be the best Marquette point guard in decades and might have a chance to be the first Marquette player to score 2,000 points.

Yes, way premature, but it's been a long time since a freshman looked this impressive this quickly.

Brew, Dominic James was terrific from day one at MU. People tend to forget his freshman year, but it was excellent. Frankly, his freshman campaign was his best offensive season during his MU career.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
Brew, Dominic James was terrific from day one at MU. People tend to forget his freshman year, but it was excellent. Frankly, his freshman campaign was his best offensive season during his MU career.

Agree.  Additionally, Duane for all intents and purposes is a sophomore at this point.  Looks to have nice potential for sure.  Excited to see what he can do in his MU career.  Only question will be if he'll gain enough strength in his time at MU to hold his own defensively.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Shark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
Agree.  Additionally, Duane for all intents and purposes is a sophomore at this point.  Looks to have nice potential for sure.  Excited to see what he can do in his MU career.  Only question will be if he'll gain enough strength in his time at MU to hold his own defensively.

Defensively it seems like most of Duane's issues stem from not knowing when to jump the pass or not. He seems to jump some balls that are impossible to steal right now and it puts him at a huge disadvantage after the catch.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »

Also, Duane is primarily playing off the ball, so he doesn't have the additional responsibilities that playing the point would add. He did run the point last night, when Derrick was getting a rest.