'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Nice win last night, but...  (Read 15156 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Nice win last night, but...
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
This season is a 31-game learning experience. With that in mind, last night was fantastic. Sure, Georgia Tech has glaring flaws, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

I love this, brew. It's exactly how I look at the season.

It's a time for the players and coaches to learn about each other and themselves, to define roles, and mostly to improve. Every single win will be a bonus. Beating an ACC team, one that should have destroyed us inside, because we outworked and outcoached them (and, OK, because one of our guys couldn't miss from 3-land) was extra lovely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »

It's a time for the players and coaches to learn about each other and themselves, to define roles, and mostly to improve. Every single win will be a bonus. Beating an ACC team, one that should have destroyed us inside, because we outworked and outcoached them (and, OK, because one of our guys couldn't miss from 3-land) was extra lovely.

Totally agree with these two posts. Other than Derrick, have any of these guys had to finish out a game in crunch time at Marquette? Maybe Juan a few times, but not in a leading role. I think it's a very big win early in the season for our confidence. Especially after losing to UNO.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »
anyone notice (i forget exactly where it was in the game) when we went on a mini-run and took a 7 point or something lead and the georgia tech calls a timeout, our players were hootin and jumping and wojo looked at them and actually yelled at them to chill, we've got A LOT of game to play here. start acting like we're gonna be here some more.  the key to this game was wojo's coaching in the last 2 minutes.  if gt can hit any shots or the dude tries a 3 (as he should have) at the buzzer, i really didn't like our chances in overtime.

this was a big win from the standpoint of players confidence in the coach and system and for recriuts to see he can and will coach.  now we need to see what wojo will do with what he has.  bring in the horses next year and it should help us forget about the duke and wisconsin games this year, unless we can pull something out of our a$$
don't...don't don't don't don't

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
Marquette should be winning with 6 top 100 players.  Georgia Tech is awful.

Wow! What a simple formula.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
anyone notice (i forget exactly where it was in the game) when we went on a mini-run and took a 7 point or something lead and the georgia tech calls a timeout, our players were hootin and jumping and wojo looked at them and actually yelled at them to chill, we've got A LOT of game to play here. start acting like we're gonna be here some more.  the key to this game was wojo's coaching in the last 2 minutes.  if gt can hit any shots or the dude tries a 3 (as he should have) at the buzzer, i really didn't like our chances in overtime.

this was a big win from the standpoint of players confidence in the coach and system and for recriuts to see he can and will coach.  now we need to see what wojo will do with what he has.  bring in the horses next year and it should help us forget about the duke and wisconsin games this year, unless we can pull something out of our a$$

Next year may be frustrating for some as they think a high recruiting class will translate into many wins.  It's still going to be a rebuilding year and much of the success next year will be predicated on how much Duane Wilson, Deonte Burton, Steve Taylor, Fischer improve this year.  Ellenson will be decent, but most 4 star freshmen don't contribute overwhelmingly in their first years.  Sandy Cohen is heralded among team scouts as being ahead in his development and even he has struggled so far with minimal impact on this squad.  Year 3 is when I expect this team to take off and make a solid tourney run.  The roster will have balance and Wojo will be able to fully implement his system having capable personnel that can execute it.

In the meantime, watch the struggle as it only makes winning and being competitive so much more enjoyable.  Sometimes it's good to take the spoiling away for a bit to put things in perspective and adopt a renewed appreciation.  

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
Next year may be frustrating for some as they think a high recruiting class will translate into many wins.  It's still going to be a rebuilding year and much of the success next year will be predicated on how much Duane Wilson, Deonte Burton, Steve Taylor, Fischer improve this year.  Ellenson will be decent, but most 4 star freshmen don't contribute overwhelmingly in their first years.  Sandy Cohen is heralded among team scouts as being ahead in his development and even he has struggled so far with minimal impact on this squad.  Year 3 is when I expect this team to take off and make a solid tourney run.  The roster will have balance and Wojo will be able to fully implement his system having capable personnel that can execute it.

In the meantime, watch the struggle as it only makes winning and being competitive so much more enjoyable.  Sometimes it's good to take the spoiling away for a bit to put things in perspective and adopt a renewed appreciation.  

It's a good thing for us that Ellenson is a 5 star  ;)

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »

You worry about the Badgers and we'll worry about Marquette. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
The Vegas line was MU by 3 so Vegas projected us to win.  The teams are probably closer than you thought.  Always amazed at how often Vegas pretty much nails the point spread.

The line was Tech by 3 unless a huge amount of money went towards MU just before tip

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »
It's a good thing for us that Ellenson is a 5 star  ;)

Yes and that he's around 6-10 with an elite shot.  He'll help open things on offense.  I've heard talk he might be a one and done, but I think he'd at least play the 2.5 (which rounds up to 3 years) years his brother will be here. 

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »

According to KenPom, GT is the third best team....in the state of Georgia (behind UGA and Georgia State).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:22:14 PM by Atticus »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
Yes and that he's around 6-10 with an elite shot.  He'll help open things on offense.  I've heard talk he might be a one and done, but I think he'd at least play the 2.5 (which rounds up to 3 years) years his brother will be here. 

i really hope so, but 2.5-3 years?  not if his brother starts taking accounting classes ;D

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
wow-butler is going to be one tough hombre and that's with their back-up coach?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
I am sure this has been explained several times before on Scoop, but Vegas odds are not a data-driven analysis of how the teams will actually perform.  The point spread is merely there to even up the betting.  Teams that have a lot of hard core fans (who will wager on their team no matter what) skew the spread.

That is why the odds on the Cubs winning the World Series are hilariously good, especially before the season begins. Tons of those hard core Northside fans will go to a sports book on their annual trip to Las Vegas and wager that this is finally the Cubbies' year.  My guess is that there are way more hardcore Marquette fans than Georgia Tech basketball fans, and that is why the early spread made Georgia Tech 3-point dogs.

I've seen this on the board multiple times recently, but its just not true. Books dont make real money by getting even bets. They make real money by taking a side. A $1,000 bet by a sharp would be more likely to move the spread more than $5,000 in public money. If the books always wanted even money on both sides you would never see reverse line movement.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »
wow-butler is going to be one tough hombre and that's with their back-up coach?

Personally, I thought they'd be dead in the water after Stephens left, but after watching them destroy UNC  on the boards, they look like they're in good hands.  They look like one of the most physical teams in all of basketball.  Solid win vs. Georgetown.  I think they have a decent chance at being ranked next week.  

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

Agree, looking to the tournament next year and making big noise the year after that....unless we make a tournament run this year. :)
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

Yup regardless of position, experience, experience of coach, etc they should just win! Jeeze man we saw Kentucky lose in the NIT with a team of McDonald's all Americans.

But since Marquette should be winning with all these players doesn't that mean the inverse of Wisconsin only having two top 100 players (espn ratings) means they shouldn't be winning?
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »

Wally has two year of eligibilty
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
Year 3 is when I expect this team to take off and make a solid tourney run.  The roster will have balance and Wojo will be able to fully implement his system having capable personnel that can execute it.

I agree with this. I think we'll see improvement this year, see an actual improved team next year, and as long as Henry sticks around for 2 years, really take off in Wojo's third year.

That said, I don't think next year's lineup is necessarily going to look like what everyone might expect right now. Wojo has an open scholarship (thanks to Levin) and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with 1-2 more by the time April rolls around. While Henry, Burton, Duane, Jajuan, and Cohen may seem to be penciled in for big impacts, I'm confident there will be more competition for minutes from guys not yet slated to be on the roster.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
I agree with this. I think we'll see improvement this year, see an actual improved team next year, and as long as Henry sticks around for 2 years, really take off in Wojo's third year.

That said, I don't think next year's lineup is necessarily going to look like what everyone might expect right now. Wojo has an open scholarship (thanks to Levin) and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with 1-2 more by the time April rolls around. While Henry, Burton, Duane, Jajuan, and Cohen may seem to be penciled in for big impacts, I'm confident there will be more competition for minutes from guys not yet slated to be on the roster.

Will be interesting to see if he goes the juco route to get immediate talent, like Buzz did.  That could jumpstart things a bit. 

Slim

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »

I'm glad you're back Brew!