[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino = Butler's Rotnei Clark  (Read 3443 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Matt Carlino = Butler's Rotnei Clark
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:06:08 AM »
Watching Carlino's huge game last night in an early season tourney, had me drawing parallels to Butler's Rotnei Clark (sorry if that just reminded you of that shot in Maui).

Both played/are playing one year as a senior transfer.  Both are 6'1" guards.  Both are gunners with short term memories.  Both came into their respective new programs as accomplished scorers.  Both have the ability to catch fire in a heartbeat...and go ice cold.

After Carlino's performance last night, I'm wondering if people's view of his role has changed?  Does Matt's need to have the ball in his hand potentially limit the development of our other younger guards?  Can Matt be a more consistent high scorer for MU?  Who names their kid Rotnei?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino = Butler's Rotnei Clark
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:40:59 AM »
Watching Carlino's huge game last night in an early season tourney, had me drawing parallels to Butler's Rotnei Clark (sorry if that just reminded you of that shot in Maui).

Both played/are playing one year as a senior transfer.  Both are 6'1" guards.  Both are gunners with short term memories.  Both came into their respective new programs as accomplished scorers.  Both have the ability to catch fire in a heartbeat...and go ice cold.

After Carlino's performance last night, I'm wondering if people's view of his role has changed?  Does Matt's need to have the ball in his hand potentially limit the development of our other younger guards?  Can Matt be a more consistent high scorer for MU?  Who names their kid Rotnei?

In my opinion, he should be a 2 looking to score rather than create for others at the 1. If the 2-3 zone is the future for this season, I think a lineup of Duane, Matt, Jajuannaman, Anderson, Taylor has the highest ceiling (until Luke returns).

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:05:45 AM »
Good comparison - both players have quick triggers, can get a shot off in a small window/opening.  And both definitely take some head scratching shots.  Many of those 3's Carlino took last night were not "good" shots - but, if a kid shows he can make 35-40% of those in games - you have to let him gun. 

It's a slippery slope for a coach, and a player like Carlino is always going to cause potential chemistry problems.  A coach is trying to coach in his team/players what a good shot is - and then you have a gunner like Clark or Carlino - who take, and can make a decent percentage of "bad" shots - and you don't want to suppress that "talent" yet you don't want it giving other players the feeling that they can bomb at will.  (Assuming the other guys can't bomb like that and hit at a respectable percentage.)  So, you can get into a double standard type of scenario with a guy like Clark/Carlino on a team...

It also can be very frustrating to the other guys trying to take "good" shots, and shots the coaches want and coach to be good shots, while you look at a guy like Carlino just launching from everywhere.  It's all good and well if he's making a lot of them as he did last night/team is winning - but if not - pretty quick way to be disliked as a teammate...and suddenly some of the ball sharing stops.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
After Carlino's performance last night, I'm wondering if people's view of his role has changed?

I don't think so. The "incorrigible chucker" comments about Matt are still true, it's just going to be a lot more palatable when he's hitting his shots. I think the key for him is to be willing to defer when they aren't going in.

Does Matt's need to have the ball in his hand potentially limit the development of our other younger guards?

I actually think it will help our younger guards, as long as Matt plays like he has so far. My worry about last night was the lack of assists. He was looking to shoot constantly, even when he was 3 feet past the NBA line. But overall, he's doing a good job of picking when to shoot and when to pass. He's averaging 4.0 apg and even with last night less than 10 shots per game. As long as he keeps setting up guys like Duane and Jajuan, they will see the benefit not just to shooting when you are hot but also passing when you are not. The NJIT game was woeful for Matt, but otherwise he's been a reliable contributor.

Can Matt be a more consistent high scorer for MU?

Carlino's career has been typified by having a run of great games, often followed by a run of mediocre games. I think on this team he will probably average around 13 ppg, with some spectacular highs (like last night) but also some miserable lows (like NJIT). Rather than a consistent scorer, I hope for him to be a consistent contributor. I loved his game against Tennessee-Martin. After his first basket, he had a long stretch before he scored again from the field. But in that stretch, he dished out 4 assists (from about 5 minutes into the first half until about 13:00 left in the game). The Omaha game was similar in that his shot wasn't falling, especially early, but he found ways to get others involved.

To expand on your last question, I think playing with a guy like that will really help our young guards long-term.

Who names their kid Rotnei?

Insufferable douchebags.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
I don't think so. The "incorrigible chucker" comments about Matt are still true, it's just going to be a lot more palatable when he's hitting his shots. I think the key for him is to be willing to defer when they aren't going in.

I actually think it will help our younger guards, as long as Matt plays like he has so far. My worry about last night was the lack of assists. He was looking to shoot constantly, even when he was 3 feet past the NBA line. But overall, he's doing a good job of picking when to shoot and when to pass. He's averaging 4.0 apg and even with last night less than 10 shots per game. As long as he keeps setting up guys like Duane and Jajuan, they will see the benefit not just to shooting when you are hot but also passing when you are not. The NJIT game was woeful for Matt, but otherwise he's been a reliable contributor.

Carlino's career has been typified by having a run of great games, often followed by a run of mediocre games. I think on this team he will probably average around 13 ppg, with some spectacular highs (like last night) but also some miserable lows (like NJIT). Rather than a consistent scorer, I hope for him to be a consistent contributor. I loved his game against Tennessee-Martin. After his first basket, he had a long stretch before he scored again from the field. But in that stretch, he dished out 4 assists (from about 5 minutes into the first half until about 13:00 left in the game). The Omaha game was similar in that his shot wasn't falling, especially early, but he found ways to get others involved.

To expand on your last question, I think playing with a guy like that will really help our young guards long-term.

Insufferable douchebags.
I agree with your analysis . He will continue to be a kid that Wojo will need to manage carefully . The people from the BYU boards said there would be games like last night followed with stinkers , so my expectations hasn't changed . Obviously we need him this year and as a one year rental he works.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »
This performance was an outlier........ most likely will be his best game of the season.  You can expect a few more games where he will hit 5+ 3 pointers, but overall he's going to put up more less than 40% shooting performances.  

Hopefully the win gives them some confidence, because they're going to need it against MSU.  No clue how they're going to stay in this one, unless they shoot 50% from behind the 3 point arc.  

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »
Yes, my observations do show that Carlino never met a shot he did not like. Only hope he/Wojo pull back on the reins when those shots do not score.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
This performance was an outlier........ most likely will be his best game of the season.  You can expect a few more games where he will hit 5+ 3 pointers, but overall he's going to put up more less than 40% shooting performances.  

Hopefully the win gives them some confidence, because they're going to need it against MSU.  No clue how they're going to stay in this one, unless they shoot 50% from behind the 3 point arc.  

Great insight.  Glad you are back.  I mean what a bold statement.  The kid drops 38 points and you just go right out on that limb and say it will most likely be his best game.  That is just gutsy, insightful, really shows that you have your finger on the pulse of College BB. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Id be happy if he is Clarke.  I still remember almost losing my mind when we gave him a second chance to beat us....