[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zone  (Read 6112 times)

tower912

• All American
Zone
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »
It worked last night.   Consistently decent help when the perimeter defenders got beat off of the dribble.  Cut down on easy entry passes into the paint.   Didn't solve the rebounding issue, but MU is small and GT isn't.   Kudos to Wojo for taking himself out of his comfort zone (ha!).    When Duane/JJJ/Deonte would get beat off of the dribble, the help was predetermined.   Also, it gave Deonte a chance to use his quick hands without having his slow feet exposed.   At heart, I know Wojo would prefer to coach man defense.   Sometimes, pragmatism is the answer.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Zone
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
i know "zone" is a dirty word in some circles, but ya gotta do whatchya gotta do, just win baby!

p.s.great to see what carlino can do, but i doubt we can expect him to carry us up every game, so...a little help.  juan had a pretty good game, but don't let him bring the ball up against pressure-dish please!

don't...don't don't don't don't

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
Can the zone help us against UW?  I don't think we have the advantage at any individual position.  They're an overall decent 3-point shooting team, but they don't have a sniper like Brust that can kill a zone single-handedly.  We can pack it in a little bit and make it harder to get the ball to Kaminsky and hope their perimeter players don't get hot.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
Yeah, zone seems to make the most sense for this roster. Don't give up as many layups by getting back doored or straight up beat off the dribble, and we're already a limited rebounding team so it's not like the zone makes us worse in that department. Plus it allows you to hide poor 1 on 1 defenders and play your best offensive guys.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
I think Wisconsin would do pretty well against a zone. The problem with zoning them is they can legitimately put 5 on the floor that can hit the three. In addition, Jackson is savvy enough to find the gaps in the zone to make sure the ball gets down low.

Hate to say it, but that game is just terrifying. In Kaminsky and Dukan, they have two big men that can step out and hit the three. Dekker and Hayes are probably the most athletic players Bo has had at least since Alando Tucker. Gasser and Jackson are both experienced, can hit from outside, and work perfectly within Bo's system. And Koenig, Brown, Dukan and Showalter give them some actual depth.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
I think Wisconsin would do pretty well against a zone. The problem with zoning them is they can legitimately put 5 on the floor that can hit the three. In addition, Jackson is savvy enough to find the gaps in the zone to make sure the ball gets down low.

Hate to say it, but that game is just terrifying. In Kaminsky and Dukan, they have two big men that can step out and hit the three. Dekker and Hayes are probably the most athletic players Bo has had at least since Alando Tucker. Gasser and Jackson are both experienced, can hit from outside, and work perfectly within Bo's system. And Koenig, Brown, Dukan and Showalter give them some actual depth.

Yup.   Keeping that one under 20 with no one getting hurt is going to feel like a victory.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »

they are legit top 5 and worthy of #2 ranking right now.  i hate to say it on this board (and i pee blue and gold) but bo is a pretty savvy coach.  he's won at every level.  yes, give us a good effort and see who can rise to the occasion 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
they are legit top 5 and worthy of #2 ranking right now.  i hate to say it on this board (and i pee blue and gold) but bo is a pretty savvy coach.  he's won at every level.  yes, give us a good effort and see who can rise to the occasion 

Of course Bo is a great coach.  The only knock is his recruiting.  Sure, he recruits with precision to get guys that fit his system, but this hardline mentality often weeds out athletic guards that can defend one on one/score one on one.  Any team with athletic guards, or guards who can score inside/outside will give Wisconsin trouble.  Where did they get lit up against Georgetown?  The guard position. 

Take a look against Arizona and Kentucky last year in the tourney.  Wisconsin's primary weakness in their defensive sets was the inability to stop the guards.  You can even look at UWGB - they couldn't stop Kiefer Sykes. 

Guarantee, this will be the prime reason they lose in the tournament. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
Of course Bo is a great coach.  The only knock is his recruiting.  Sure, he recruits with precision to get guys that fit his system, but this hardline mentality often weeds out athletic guards that can defend one on one/score one on one.  Any team with athletic guards, or guards who can score inside/outside will give Wisconsin trouble.  Where did they get lit up against Georgetown?  The guard position. 

Take a look against Arizona and Kentucky last year in the tourney.  Wisconsin's primary weakness in their defensive sets was the inability to stop the guards.  You can even look at UWGB - they couldn't stop Kiefer Sykes. 

It was the reason the Gophers shot like 60% against them last year in a game even without Dre hollins. Guards drove at will either scored or dumped it to the big man.

Wisco is real good though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »

i fully agree with all you said, except their big dude(i mean really big) kind of had his way a little bit too

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
The way our zone looks against a formidable 3-point shooting team in MSU tonight is going to tell us a lot. But keep in mind that Luke can add a lot of length and extra help in the middle when he returns.

It may end up being a very very poor man's 'Cuse zone, but we do have some players with length (Luke, Juan, STjr) to disrupt passing lanes.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
The only thing I didn't like was when Derrick was on one of the low zones. He was just too short to play in that area. He seems to be better suited at the top of the zone IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
This team has to play zone.

We are too short and, aside from Derrick, not a single one of our guys has shown he is adept at man defense. And even Derrick gets burned fairly often.

Wojo is realizing he has to play the hand he's been dealt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »
Yup.   Keeping that one under 20 with no one getting hurt is going to feel like a victory.   

Sadly, that feels about right. I keep looking at Bucky trying to find optimism for that game and just can't. I mean, the one knock on them was questionable depth, and then Dukan shows up in Atlantis just lighting it up and providing depth at 4 positions. Granted, I don't think they'll regularly run him out as a 2, but there's still quality on the bench. I know everyone is ready to write them off after this year, but even if Dekker goes pro, Bo could still reel in Stone and have Hayes and Koenig, both of whom are very good. That's enough to keep them dangerous for a couple years.

One big weakness for Wisconsin is not having Brust. Last year he was a nightmare to defend for man defenses. He was so good at moving off the ball, in and out of the defense, and just wearing out anyone who had to defend him because you were chasing all day. He was like a waterbug out there. They have shooters, but everyone on that team is a set shooter. No one is going to really make you work on the perimeter, and no one on that team can fill that role. Athletic teams that can play tight man coverage will give them nightmares because of that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
The only thing I didn't like was when Derrick was on one of the low zones. He was just too short to play in that area. He seems to be better suited at the top of the zone IMO.

I THINK the reason for this is becuase Wojo would rather have Carlino/JJJ/Duane running out in transition over Derrick.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
My respect for Wojo has grown further with the success of the zone.  Especially when it goes against everything he ultimately wants to be about defensively, to use it and to teach it so well so quickly is very impressive.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
My respect for Wojo has grown further with the success of the zone.  Especially when it goes against everything he ultimately wants to be about defensively, to use it and to teach it so well so quickly is very impressive.

I think it shows Wojo is able to look at his strategy and his teams' ability and do what's best for them, even if it's against what he prefers to do.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
Like someone said, he has to play the hand he's been dealt. Homer said Boeheim recruits to the zone. Though that comment may not seem very insightful, it was something I never really thought about. The guy loves his system (2-3 zone) so much that it dictates his recruiting strategy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 06:35:56 AM »
Last night, the zone was effective for a while, but you could tell that Izzo has seen a zone before and coached a zone offense before.   Sparty's ball movement was far superior to GT's.