Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by denverMU
[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: GTech Thoughts  (Read 14716 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: GTech Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »
Derrick was good in the second half...until the final few minutes.  I understand why Wojo wants him in on defense, but offensively he cannot be on the floor in those end of game situations.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »
I unfortunately didn't see the game, so I'm wondering how in the hell did Carlino also outrebound STJ 6-3? That shouldn't happen.  ?-(

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
1.   Team played with heart, passion, hustle.
2.   Seniors carried the team tonight.
3.  Matt Carlino!    Must remember, he can shoot us into games, he can shoot us out of them.
4.  Diminished minutes for JJJ, Deonte, and Cohen.
5.  The zone confused GT enough that they were unable to really exploit their size advantage consistently.
6.  GTECH's press should not have confused Derrick and Carlino as badly as it did. 
7.  Steve needs to make layups.  When my 7 year old yells 'Make your layups".......
8.  Hack-a-Derrick is going to be a thing all year.   Sad, but true.   
9.  Hack-a-Juan is going to be plan B.
10.  GTECH messed up at the end.
11.  Any win is a great win......and now we get Sparty. 
+1  Great recap and agree on all.  Particularly 8 & 9.  Very obvious and good scouting by GT.  Hopefully Steve T. starts dunking.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
We lose the game if Derrick plays the full second half - not sure I call that outstanding.  Threw away an inbounds, missed 2 clutch free throws.  But outstanding...

how bout real nice...does that work for you. If you don't think he was a key part of this win I don't even know what to say....
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
Last game Carlino, Wilson and Wilson had 4 total rebounds. Tonight they had 14. That was the difference in the game.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
I couldn't figure out exactly what Brian Gregory was trying to do on offense.  They had a huge size advantage, yet they kept chucking up outside shot after outside shot.

I thought that this was simply a case of being shorter.  Unlike earlier games, Marquette was not ball watching or boxing out.  They were at least *trying* and playing with heart.  There is only so much you can do when you are smaller.

Obviously Wojo outcoached Gregory.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »
Here's a thought. I listened to Wojo on the radio post game show for the first time. Wow...what a difference! He actually answers questions intelligently and briefly...no incoherent rambling for 3 - 4 minutes that leaves you shaking your head with no understanding of what was just said.  And while he's positive, he's realistic in talking about the team's abilities, strengths, weaknesses. No more "we're really, really bad!"

Regardless of how this season turns out, what a pleasure to have a coach who isn't a total whack job.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »
I thought, before this game, I noticed that Wojo had the guards not trying to rebound and instead had them sprinting down the court looking for transition points. Tonight, however, the guards were looking more for rebounds. I wonder if that was the zone or just a different decision in coaching.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
Last time we played Georgia Tech was in 1977...
We won then.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 11:04:31 PM »
The zone did what I hoped it would do.  Kept the forwards in position near the basket instead of constantly getting caught on switches out on the perimeter.  Cut down on our opponent getting to rim.  Kept the guys fresher at the end.  Sure we aren't long.  Sure if an opponent is hitting from the outside we lose.  But this is a flawed team with few lock down defenders and forwards that are currently bad on rotations and no center.  You play a zone and hope that you hang around and the other team makes some mistakes.  The zone also slows down the pace of play which is almost always to the weaker teams advantage.  I think its our defense of choice until we get Fisher and we get better at overall team defense and rotations.  

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
I definitely think this was a coach's win tonight. Wojo made some adjustments based on our recent play and his attempt to adjust his game plan for us based on the performance and abilities of the players he has right now. Not ramrodding a style through though players are incapable of executing it.

We are going to have our ups and downs. We have holes and weaknesses but also a win under our belt. I think MSU destroys us because they appear to be more complete and polished than us right now but the game has to be played. We will learn more about ourselves as will Wojo.

Am quite impressed with Wojo and his comments and adjustments before and during the game. He'll do just fine at MU if we allow him to do his job.

Could critique individuals play but that has already been done here and I'm not a coach, anyway.

My measure of a coach is if a team is better in January than they were in November and better in March than they were in January. We'll see what happens but I am optimistic right now based on what I've seen but not getting over excited and predicting a sure spot in the final 64 just yet....

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
My biggest take away was that Georgia Tech has no idea how to attack a zone defense...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 11:38:46 PM »
I don't get it with Steve, I don't remember him missing contested/open layups as a freshman. Is it possible his confidence still isn't all the way back from last year? Also, I think normally we will want Duane to have the ball shooting FT's at the end of games but Carlino was obviously in a rhythm tonight. When that happens, go with the hot hand.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »
I definitely think this was a coach's win tonight. Wojo made some adjustments based on our recent play and his attempt to adjust his game plan for us based on the performance and abilities of the players he has right now. Not ramrodding a style through though players are incapable of executing it.

We are going to have our ups and downs. We have holes and weaknesses but also a win under our belt. I think MSU destroys us because they appear to be more complete and polished than us right now but the game has to be played. We will learn more about ourselves as will Wojo.

Am quite impressed with Wojo and his comments and adjustments before and during the game. He'll do just fine at MU if we allow him to do his job.

Could critique individuals play but that has already been done here and I'm not a coach, anyway.

My measure of a coach is if a team is better in January than they were in November and better in March than they were in January. We'll see what happens but I am optimistic right now based on what I've seen but not getting over excited and predicting a sure spot in the final 64 just yet....

Well, a team (and a coach) always looks better when a guy goes for 38 and makes shots from Ocala.

That being said, I thought this was Wojo's strongest game. He made adjustments before tip, he made moves on the fly, he had a very understandable substitution pattern, he wisely got Derrick out of the game on offense at the end (maybe 1-2 possessions too late, but he did it), he set up a couple of very good offensive inbound plays, he wasn't afraid to use a freshman down the stretch, etc.

And I couldn't believe how poor Georgia Tech's game plan was on both ends of the court, but especially on offense. They seemed to be a poorly coached, undisciplined team with a low basketball IQ. Put Izzo on that sideline and I'm pretty sure we don't win. But Izzo wasn't on that sideline ... so yay!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »
When is the last time that someone scored over 30 points without making a 2 point field goal? 38 points. 8 threes (24). 14 free throws.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:41 AM »
Mark Miller ‏@WisBBYearbook  2h2 hours ago
Sad but true ... Matt Carlino had more triples (5) in the first half for Marquette tonight than Derrick WIlson has for his career (3).
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 12:50:32 AM »
Also, this wasn't a two point game. Credit to Ga Tech at the end but we gagged away an 11 point lead with about 4 minutes left with turnovers and missed free throws. MU played better tonight than the score indicates.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 12:51:14 AM »
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman  3h3 hours ago
Matt Carlino’s 38 points are the most by a Marquette player since Steve Novak dropped 41 on UConn on Jan. 3, 2006. #mubb
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 07:06:06 AM »
Here's a thought. I listened to Wojo on the radio post game show for the first time. Wow...what a difference! He actually answers questions intelligently and briefly...no incoherent rambling for 3 - 4 minutes that leaves you shaking your head with no understanding of what was just said.  And while he's positive, he's realistic in talking about the team's abilities, strengths, weaknesses. No more "we're really, really bad!"

Regardless of how this season turns out, what a pleasure to have a coach who isn't a total whack job.
Breath of fresh air compared to the phony BSing buzzspeaking downhome lonesome cowboy, eh? "I'll be at Marquette as long as they want me."
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 07:36:39 AM »
Buzz's post game show was "Pulp Fiction" compared to Crean's (when he bothered to show up.) I really enjoyed Buzz and Homer.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »
Mark Miller ‏@WisBBYearbook  2h2 hours ago
Sad but true ... Matt Carlino had more triples (5) in the first half for Marquette tonight than Derrick WIlson has for his career (3).

LOL.

Nonetheless, I actually enjoyed watching Derrick play tonight.  He gave me moments of comedy, but managed to mix in some good play as well.  He was much more aggressive going to the basket in this game.  Granted most of his attempts resulted in misses or getting fouled, and going to the free throw line and missing  - but he was at least forcing action.  

His aggressive push off a D-Rebound that caromed to him out near the 3 point line, where he was in a 1-on-1 situation, that resulted in the "nice" pull up 4 foot jumper (that traveled 3 feet) was a perfect example of Derrick.  Misses the easiest of shots, but did hustle/persist, in that he grabbed the rebound off that miss and managed to convert a much more difficult "jump" hook.  

His first FT attempt that clanged off the backboard and almost resulted in a bank shot make from the FT line also cracked me up.  

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Derrick make that quick spin move off the dribble, that he almost converted into a bucket.  

He showed some flashes out there tonight.  I'd still like to see more from a PG in 33 minutes, but, if he can just play as he did last night all season on a consistent basis - it won't drive me bat sh$t crazy.  Is a 92 O Rating for a PG good?  No, not really, Derrick is who he is and to expect more from him just isn't realistic.  But if he'll at least continue to be aggressive in going to the basket, pushing in transition, it will be a nice improvement and much more watchable than last season.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
Juan was the man.  He really frustrated their bigs with his quickness and strength. He spent a lot of time fronting his man on defense, fighting for that spot. He was also sealing the lane for drivers.  MU got to the rim a lot yesterday, and while that is not reflective in made twos, it is in the free throw margin. Their bigs were exhausted.

Some interesting calls down to the end, and non-calls. Breeding is just a horrible ref, and he seemed to be on every one of them (shoot clock expiration,foot in semi-circle, Juan mugged with ball dribbling past half court, phantom jump ball). Kudos to the MU fan with the turkey hat who was mocking him during a break about another missed travel, and he looked up from the floor and shook his head no. Nothing like a ref getting into with a fan with a turkey strapped on his head. Comical. Well done if on here. 

Btw, Kansas has more fans here than MU had in the BC for NJIT. Jay Bee called it: a lot of gimps in attendance. MSU well represented as well. Interesting to see other schools' cultures.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »
Towards the end of the first half, when GaTech was shooting FT's and MU couldn't get a break, you could read Wojo's lips as he yelled at the ref that GT was shooting double bonus but had only been called for three  fouls.    I laughed out loud as I read his lips.   In the second half, almost every time MU drove, they got the call.   Yes, the jump ball at the end with STjr was absurd.  But MU certainly got to the line plenty in the second half. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
Towards the end of the first half, when GaTech was shooting FT's and MU couldn't get a break, you could read Wojo's lips as he yelled at the ref that GT was shooting double bonus but had only been called for three  fouls.    I laughed out loud as I read his lips.   In the second half, almost every time MU drove, they got the call.   Yes, the jump ball at the end with STjr was absurd.  But MU certainly got to the line plenty in the second half.  

Yes, very uneven both ways (Juan was bailed out a few times)...but Breeding always in the middle of it, and at the end, he was back at it on every call. Just call the game consistently.

Buzz was about to throttle him in NYC when he made that call from the timer seat to overrule the floor officials when it was out of his purview.  I guess one can claim he is consistently bad.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:27:33 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
The foul called on Steve Taylor near the end of the game on his rebound after a free throw miss was one of the worst calls I've seen in some time. I was flabbergasted.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

feedback