'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: GTech Thoughts  (Read 14718 times)

tower912

• All American
GTech Thoughts
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
1.   Team played with heart, passion, hustle.
2.   Seniors carried the team tonight.
3.  Matt Carlino!    Must remember, he can shoot us into games, he can shoot us out of them.
4.  Diminished minutes for JJJ, Deonte, and Cohen.
5.  The zone confused GT enough that they were unable to really exploit their size advantage consistently.
6.  GTECH's press should not have confused Derrick and Carlino as badly as it did. 
7.  Steve needs to make layups.  When my 7 year old yells 'Make your layups".......
8.  Hack-a-Derrick is going to be a thing all year.   Sad, but true.   
9.  Hack-a-Juan is going to be plan B.
10.  GTECH messed up at the end.
11.  Any win is a great win......and now we get Sparty. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: GTech Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
Whatever D Derrick provides, his lack of ability to make a free throw negates it.  Take him out at the end of a game when we have a lead. Put someone, Anyone, Who can mke a FT.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:07:12 PM »
Derrick was pushing the ball by himself off a turnover or missed shot. Last season, people chided him for not doing that. And, as I said at that time, I'm fairly certain it wasn't Derrick's decision or lack of ability, but Buzz's direction to play so slowly. This roster looks much, MUCH better in transition compared to halfcourt.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »
Protected the ball relatively well as GT only had 4 steals and 13 TOs for Marquette is reasonable.

I like the extra effort on the boards. We outrebounded them in the 2nd half and finished a respectable 35-40 on glass including 14 offensive rebounds.

Definite Progress and a nice solid win for Wojo.

Sparty could bring the pain tomorrow.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
    • The zone really helped. Jajuan and Deonte looked better on defense and Carlino didn't get victimized near as much.
    • Guards getting rebounds was huge. Carlino and Derrick both showed good effort on the boards.
    • I'm not optimistic about Sparty but they aren't as good as recent years, especially if Dawson is less than 100%.
    • Win or lose tomorrow, we have a chance to leave Orlando with a winning record.
    • Derrick was great in the second half. Attacked the rim, got rebounds, ran the offense well, but sadly still can't make free throws. Still, we don't win without him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
Don't know of any team in the country who has to take out their starting point guard at end of games.
Taylor had two points and three rebounds, third bad game in a row.
Carlino had 50% of teams scoring, that may not happen again.
Cohen hardly played.
Burton limited played, had 5 steals and two turnovers.  
Juan is the most active and hustled his butt off.  Different player from last year.
Offensive rebounding is hurting.

Got the win, but tomm night could be very, well interesting.  

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
All your points were great. Seniors obviously were HUGE

Would like to shout out for Duane, JJJ and Deonte. The minutes those guys did get weren't perfect in that second half but they had great energy and were disruptive on D. Duane actually played a lot but still put him with other 2.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
I saw more adjustments from wojo this game then all of last year.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
Juan looks like what Jamil should have looked like.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
Derrick was bad down the stretch, but thought he had a solid game otherwise. Juan made some nice moves and hit some big shots. Steve looks lost out there. Hopefully the move back to the 4 in two weeks will help him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »

That is another horse that has been beat to death, but yes.   The seniors led tonight.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brandx

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

I don't think anyone will question Juan's heart.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »

No, I still take Jamil.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »
Protected the ball relatively well as GT only had 4 steals and 13 TOs for Marquette is reasonable.

I like the extra effort on the boards. We outrebounded them in the 2nd half and finished a respectable 35-40 on glass including 14 offensive rebounds.

Definite Progress and a nice solid win for Wojo.

Sparty could bring the pain tomorrow.

MU had 29 rebounds, Tech had 41
MU had 9 offensive, Tech had 17

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
Why all the complaining? I thought we won.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
I'm not complaining.   I am savoring each and every win this year.    Mmmmmmm.   

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
CARLINO'S WAY!!!
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

brandx

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Two disappointments tonight:

1. Taylor unable to make layups.

2. Not even attempting to get the ball to Duane against the press. Best FT shooter on the team and was not at all involved in out-of-bounds plays over the last 3 minutes. Obviously a coaching decision because he ran away from the inbound passer each time. Maybe Wojo thinks he's not ready to face the press - but would rather see him than Juan (and yes I understand why Juan was back there - you want someone who can see over the defense to make passes).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »
I couldn't figure out exactly what Brian Gregory was trying to do on offense.  They had a huge size advantage, yet they kept chucking up outside shot after outside shot.

I thought that this was simply a case of being shorter.  Unlike earlier games, Marquette was not ball watching or boxing out.  They were at least *trying* and playing with heart.  There is only so much you can do when you are smaller.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
Derrick played an outstanding second half.  His two drives pressuring the GT defense were key and his defense is critical down the stretch.  I'm completely okay with the offense/defense substitute patterns. I only think Wojo was about a possession or two too late implementing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
I thought that this was simply a case of being shorter.  Unlike earlier games, Marquette was not ball watching or boxing out.  They were at least *trying* and playing with heart.  There is only so much you can do when you are smaller.

That wasn't true in the first, but it was in the second. In the first 2 minutes both Derrick and Duane pulled down strong defensive rebounds. That's the kind of effort we need to compete with bigger teams.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

thanks for the correction/clarification. clearly an erroneous post on my part. i was going off the cbssportsline app which listed the #'s i referenced. so the rebounding wasn't nearly as robust as I thought, however there seemed to be a more concerted effort to hit the glass and during the stretch where we extended the lead we got a couple of putbacks and held them to one and done on defensive. I expect us to be out rebounded virtually all year, including when Fischy is eligible, but IMO the team (especially the guards) were more active on the glass tonight which is progress.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
Deonte made 5 steals tonight in limited playing time. I think he we will see something good from him soon.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
We lose the game if Derrick plays the full second half - not sure I call that outstanding.  Threw away an inbounds, missed 2 clutch free throws.  But outstanding...

Derrick played an outstanding second half.  His two drives pressuring the GT defense were key and his defense is critical down the stretch.  I'm completely okay with the offense/defense substitute patterns. I only think Wojo was about a possession or two too late implementing.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
The boob of the Big East can beat the boob of the ACC when someone goes crazy and scores 38.  Not since DJO have we had someone who can just shoot a bunch of points onto the board.  It's something  ;)  

Derrick had 7/5/5/3 stl - not bad at all. Wojo learned the lesson to not to have him play offense at the end.  The steals, rebounding, and decent positioning made it look like a great choice to stick him on a corner of the 2-3.

The zone was a good call.  Defense made some stops.  Rebounding was still a nightmare, but bad rebounding with an eFG of 50% is better than bad rebounding with an eFG approaching 70%.  Helped Burton defensively.

Got to get more from Steve.  He's asked to do more than he can handle as a 3/4 forced into the 5 with three small guards on the floor with him.  Expected he won't set the world on fire at such a disadvantage, but he can't only have three rebounds, two defensive, 1-6 shooting, and only draw one foul (which wasn't called).