[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last few times MU finished under .500  (Read 3427 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Last few times MU finished under .500
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
They have rebounded nicely, albeit it will take a few seasons.  The 90-91 team finished 11-18 and they became a national power by the 92-93 season. Deane's 98-99 team took some time to rebound, but players on that team helped MU get back to the dance in 01-02. A lot of similarities exist here, which would suggest a rebound either next year and definitely in 16-17 based on some of the help coming next year.  Interestingly, the 90-91 team finished .500 in conference play.  So, as a matter of history,  it would suggest MU will be a bubble team next year and in the sweet sixteen in 16-17.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GGGG

• All American
Re: Last few times MU finished under .500
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »
Look at Butler.  Last year they were sub .500 and won only four conference games.  Yesterday they beat the #5 team in the country and looked much improved.

Even if this season ends up with a losing record, I just want to see improvement moving forward because you never know what next year can bring.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
Look at Butler.  Last year they were sub .500 and won only four conference games.  Yesterday they beat the #5 team in the country and looked much improved.

Even if this season ends up with a losing record, I just want to see improvement moving forward because you never know what next year can bring.

+1

That is why I think all the calls for MU to go to zone is wrong. This is a rebuilding year and this team needs to learn how to play proper defense and not go for the short-term fix of a zone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
+1

That is why I think all the calls for MU to go to zone is wrong. This is a rebuilding year and this team needs to learn how to play proper defense and not go for the short-term fix of a zone.

Yeah I mean it is natural to want to DO SOMETHING when they look that bad.  And I have been guilty of saying the same things.  But after sitting back, I've realized that this is a long term issue and short term bumps in the road are to be expected.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »
Adding Fischer and Ellenson to the front court next year will be a substantial upgrade. As much PT for the guards who will be here next year (and 16-17), is the key for this year.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »
+1

Completely agree.  Wojo needs to implement the system he plans to use going forward.  This is going to be a challenging season regardless of what he does, but the next several years will likely see more improvement if he isn't changing the system every time the personnel changes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:51:12 AM »
It is never easy for a fan to watch his/her team suck and then shrug and say, "That's OK, brighter days are ahead," but that's pretty much our situation this season.

Those who think this team will turn things around to have what we'd consider a "good" record by recent Marquette standards are delusional. This is the classic rebuilding situation. A pretty major decline started last year, and the level of experienced talent -- not to mention tall talent -- is significantly lower this season.

I'd be stunned if we don't have a losing record. The coaches picked us to tie Butler in the standings, but Butler looks light years ahead of us. And given that 2-3 of our best players in 2015-16 will be freshmen, it's probably overly hopeful to expect a return to significant accomplishment next season, either.

I agree about 2016-17 being the season we become "Marquette" again.

Hey, it happens. Even Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA and Indiana have had some down periods. Indiana, in fact, has had multiple down periods in the last 15 years and already appears to be in the second down period of Crean's career there.

What matters is how the program responds, and I do think we're going in the right direction -- even though that often might not be apparent this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »
+1

I do think some zone could still be a good idea, not as a short term fix but as a change up going forward. Guys like Cohen, Jajuan, Steve, Cheatham, and the Ellenson brothers have the kind of frames that could work well in a zone. I do think we'll get more long term development in man, but I would love to see zone long term as an alternative. Mixing some in this year could help both short and long term.

Probably more long term...I'm not sure this roster is well suited for zone this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
I just look at Villanova. They were pretty bad a few years ago, even to the point of some wondering about Wright's job security. The last two years they have been back to a top 15 team.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
I just look at Villanova. They were pretty bad a few years ago, even to the point of some wondering about Wright's job security. The last two years they have been back to a top 15 team.

1 bad season and they question a good coach's ability?  Impatient media I tell ya! 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 04:13:52 PM »
I do think some zone could still be a good idea, not as a short term fix but as a change up going forward. Guys like Cohen, Jajuan, Steve, Cheatham, and the Ellenson brothers have the kind of frames that could work well in a zone. I do think we'll get more long term development in man, but I would love to see zone long term as an alternative. Mixing some in this year could help both short and long term.

Probably more long term...I'm not sure this roster is well suited for zone this year.

One of the reasons Al's teams were so good defensively was because they mixed defenses. Being able to play competent zone defense would be a nice change of pace. But, this team needs to find its defensive comfort zone first before going forward.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"