[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Upset Alert: UNC vs. Butler  (Read 13133 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Upset Alert: UNC vs. Butler
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
The ESPiN suits are probably in full-on freakout mode.  "Quick, get Georgetown and Villanova to the ACC NOW!  And find a way to put Creighton on probation!  Move DePaul and Marquette back to the Great Midwest Conference!!  SOMEONE MUST MAY FOR THIS INSULT TO OUR BELOVED UNC!!!"

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
Are they on NCAA probation yet?

Nothing.  I'm not sure if it's calm before the storm or if the investigation is still pending.  The allegations go way back..... over ten years, so there's a lot of data to muster up.  I'm sure the NCAA will "take its time" with this one.  UNC is a historic flagship program and if they're crippled it hurts the overall NCAA product.  Look at what happened with Calipari's UMASS and Memphis teams and how they lost their postseason accolades.  Their violations  are miniscule in comparison to what has been happening @ UNC.  There's potential to void out a decade's worth of wins and 2 championships along with future restrictions.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »
Congrats to Butler.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
The ESPiN suits are probably in full-on freakout mode.  "Quick, get Georgetown and Villanova to the ACC NOW!  And find a way to put Creighton on probation!  Move DePaul and Marquette back to the Great Midwest Conference!!  SOMEONE MUST MAY FOR THIS INSULT TO OUR BELOVED UNC!!!"

I hope it forces Dick Vitale to retire.  That would be the cherry on the sundae along with a loss of scholarships and postseason play. 

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 03:28:36 PM »
I hope it forces Dick Vitale to retire.  That would be the cherry on the sundae along with a loss of scholarships and postseason play. 

Losing schaolarships is a joke punishment. How many wins can be credited to the 12th and 13th scholarship players at big time programs? Zero?

UNC will survive a post-season ban just fine. In fact, there are about 15 schools that wouldn't skip a beat with a post-season ban.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Excellent win for the conference. Well done dawgs!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
Our old friends Rutgers lost yesterday by 18 to the 0-4 St. Peter's.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 06:47:09 PM »
Is there a single BE team in discussion for the NC?

The answer is no.

So who cares in November???

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »

The answer is no.

Near as I can see, Kentucky and Duke are the only 2 teams in the country in that discussion.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 07:07:50 PM »
Near as I can see, Kentucky and Duke are the only 2 teams in the country in that discussion.

So...hey...small battles are great in November! I will bet any amount of money that not one BE team makes it to the final four. Charity of your choice.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »

The answer is no.

It is newsworthy/publicity - which is something the Big East needs. Secondarily it's not a bad thing so who cares if people talk about it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
So...hey...small battles are great in November! I will bet any amount of money that not one BE team makes it to the final four. Charity of your choice.

Nothing against charity but when I'm saying the NC is a 2-horse race, why would I put money on anyone other than those two?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 07:24:47 PM »

The answer is no.

Was UConn "in discussion" for the 2013 national title?

What a silly post.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Nothing against charity but when I'm saying the NC is a 2-horse race, why would I put money on anyone other than those two?

Exactly! Hell, I'll bet odds no BE team makes it to the E8!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
Or NCState, Villanova, Kansas (88), UConn with Kemba.....  Chico's old crapshoot dictum.    If you ask me who the best two teams are in the country right now, Kentucky or Duke.   Who will win the title?   Obviously, Kentucky is the favorite, but that 4+ months from now.   A whole lot can happen.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
Butler:

29 offensive rebounds while North Carolina had 26 Defensive rebounds.  Talk about an ass whoopin' on the glass!

Butler outrebounded UNC by 17 overall.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen a UNC team be manhandled defensively like this before.  Butler is just as tall as UNC but much wider.  It looked more like a football team on the court for Butler.   They're going to give a lot of people problems.   It's too bad their offense isn't that good, otherwise they'd be a top 5 team.  They can't shoot the ball well at all - had they.... UNC would have been blown out by 20.  

Butler is easily a top 20 team this year.  They're going to outrebound a lot of teams and beat them with sheer physicality.  

As I watched the final 10 minutes of the game -- and I thank the O.P. for calling my attention to it, otherwise I might have never turned on the TV -- I had two thoughts:

1. Good for Butler! They had a rough season last year but they look tough-minded, athletic and well-coached. My only beef with how they played down the stretch was that they shot too quickly several times when they could have worked the clock, but they made up for it by out-hustling and out-working UNC over and over and over again, playing sound D and controlling the glass.

2. How are we gonna get any rebounds against that team? I believe the preseason coaches poll had us tied with Butler for 6th in the Big East. Wow. I'm not seeing it. Unless Luke Fischer is the next Moses Malone, that team will KILL us on the boards. Based on the (admittedly small) sample I've seen so far, they very well might have the best player at every position when we meet.

I hope to hell I'm wrong!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »
We need our guards and wings to start rebounding. Both Juan and Steve are around 7 boards per game. Our frontcourt is rebounding fine. But even reliable rebounders like Derrick (around 4 rpg last year) aren't getting to anything. Unlikely this will ever be a good rebounding team but if the guys in the backcourt start showing effort and getting to balls they can at least be adequate.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:20:23 PM by brewcity77 »

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
So according to Atticus' logic only Kentucky and  Duke have the right to be discussing their results in November?  Tell you what Atticus, let's make the bet $500. Since you think it's a #donedeal you take Duke and Kentucky.  I'll take the field.  Let's agree that the donation be made to Marquette in the name of James Foley.  Deal?

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
On a separate note, G-Town just downed #18 Florida in OT.  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »
On a separate note, G-Town just downed #18 Florida in OT.  ;D

Doesn't matter. Florida isn't "in discussion for the NC."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
If we're not going to be good, at least we can live vicariously through the rest of the Big East. Georgetown and Butler were incredibly fun to watch today. Love to see them play each other in the Atlantis title game Saturday.

Watching St John's, on the other hand, was awful. So much talent, but so selfish and poorly coached. That team has top-10 talent with 10-cent brains.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
If we're not going to be good, at least we can live vicariously through the rest of the Big East. Georgetown and Butler were incredibly fun to watch today. Love to see them play each other in the Atlantis title game Saturday.

Watching St John's, on the other hand, was awful. So much talent, but so selfish and poorly coached. That team has top-10 talent with 10-cent brains.
I was thinking the exact same thing while watching them. Dont know how they won that, oh well another win over the BIG

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »
Doesn't matter. Florida isn't "in discussion for the NC."

Darn....... Since UK and Duke are only in the discussion, perhaps I should go back into hiding. 

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2014, 07:00:01 AM »
Darn....... Since UK and Duke are only in the discussion, perhaps I should go back into hiding. 
All hail the dark one!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.