[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 01:53:15 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: John Dawson  (Read 90972 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: John Dawson
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
I'll give Wojo the benefit of the doubt for now, but his usage of Derrick is a big red flag with regard to his coaching acumen.   

Didn't feel like answering my question?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
That should be his nickname. Derrick "high character" Wilson. That's all anyone ever says about him. Im glad you have enjoyed having him and all the "high character" he has brought to the program. I have not and will be happy when we have a PG who can be effective running the team and hit an occasional 3 pointer or free throw. At least in 10 years you can look back and say "remember that high character PG we had, man he was special."

When you're reading tower912's post, please remember to read his signature line.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
I'll give Wojo the benefit of the doubt for now, but his usage of Derrick is a big red flag with regard to his coaching acumen.   

Dear Ners:

I am so grateful you are giving me the benefit of the doubt for now. If not, I'd probably be on a ledge contemplating whether to jump or to just end it even more quickly with a gun.

Given your level of basketball experience, I can't believe I already have gone this far into my coaching career without consulting you for advice. Please send along your contact information so I can run my player rotations, my offense, my defense and my inbound plays past you.

Buzz told me you were instrumental in the team going S16-S16-E8, so I apologize to the entire Marquette community for not getting in touch with you sooner. To hell with using Coach K as a sounding board - from now on, it's Ners or nuthin'!!

Talk to you soon. Very soon. Because the one thing I can't risk is losing the benefit of the doubt from Ners.

Sincerely,
Wojo
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
I agree. I have never been so excited for a player to graduate and leave the program.

Why be a d1ck about it.  Ya, he struggles.  We all know that.  He's also been a captain 2 years in a row.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
Dear Ners:

I am so grateful you are giving me the benefit of the doubt for now. If not, I'd probably be on a ledge contemplating whether to jump or to just end it even more quickly with a gun.

Given your level of basketball experience, I can't believe I already have gone this far into my coaching career without consulting you for advice. Please send along your contact information so I can run my player rotations, my offense, my defense and my inbound plays past you.

Buzz told me you were instrumental in the team going S16-S16-E8, so I apologize to the entire Marquette community for not getting in touch with you sooner. To hell with using Coach K as a sounding board - from now on, it's Ners or nuthin'!!

Talk to you soon. Very soon. Because the one thing I can't risk is losing the benefit of the doubt from Ners.

Sincerely,
Wojo

Dear Wojo,

Thanks for your note.  I understand you are new to Marquette, and weren't closely following the program all of last season.  No doubt you've had time to observe guys in practice these last 6 weeks, much more than games.  No doubt, like the current PG you've chosen to play lots of minutes, you too in your career were coming off a poor Junior season, and were challenged by Coach K to step up your game, or lose your starting position.  You took the advice and stepped up and were named ACC Defensive Player of the Year, while also being a threat to shoot the basketball from distance and the FT line effectively.

Due to your own experience, and similarities to our current senior PG, it must be incredibly difficult for you to just relegate him to the bench due to your own personal experience.  Unfortunately, just because you did it doesn't mean someone else can or will.  As you learned against NJIT, you cannot have Derrick on the floor down the stretch, as if he gets fouled, there is a very good chance he will miss both critical free throws.  Coach, what was your career FT percentage?  3 point FG%?  Remind, as I feel you shot much better than 44% from the FT line and better than 10.3% from the 3 point line? (Which are Derrick's career percentages.)

Lastly Coach, everyone can understand how you want to give the benefit of the doubt to such a fine young man like Derrick.  We all think he is a great representative of the university and program, and made of incredible character and deserving of being a captain.  Derrick is a coach's dream in so many areas, yet at the end of the day he needs to produce on the court.  However, when you play him so much and continue to highlight his shortcomings, it causes great angst for many of our fans. We saw 975 minutes of play from Derrick last season in which we saw the opposition sag off of him 5 feet due to his 7% shooting from the 3 point stripe, and in the words of our former coach - were playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end.  

Given that you have a different roster composition this year with both Carlino and Duane eligible, as well as the guy who backed Derrick up as a freshman - John Dawson - who shot 28% from the 3 point line and 78% from the FT line -  along with coming up big in our best win of the season last year - the only game he was given more than 20 minutes all last season - many of us would like to see you turn the page and begin to develop the younger, more talented players on the roster for the future.

Thanks, and thank you for the great recruiting class you signed this fall.  Incredible.

Ners
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
Dear Wojo,

Thanks for your note.  I understand you are new to Marquette, and weren't closely following the program all of last season.  No doubt you've had time to observe guys in practice these last 6 weeks, much more than games.  No doubt, like the current PG you've chosen to play lots of minutes, you too in your career were coming off a poor Junior season, and were challenged by Coach K to step up your game, or lose your starting position.  You took the advice and stepped up and were named ACC Defensive Player of the Year, while also being a threat to shoot the basketball from distance and the FT line effectively.

Due to your own experience, and similarities to our current senior PG, it must be incredibly difficult for you to just relegate him to the bench due to your own personal experience.  Unfortunately, just because you did it doesn't mean someone else can or will.  As you learned against NJIT, you cannot have Derrick on the floor down the stretch, as if he gets fouled, there is a very good chance he will miss both critical free throws.  Coach, what was your career FT percentage?  3 point FG%?  Remind, as I feel you shot much better than 44% from the FT line and better than 10.3% from the 3 point line? (Which are Derrick's career percentages.)

Lastly Coach, everyone can understand how you want to give the benefit of the doubt to such a fine young man like Derrick.  We all think he is a great representative of the university and program, and made of incredible character and deserving of being a captain.  Derrick is a coach's dream in so many areas, yet at the end of the day he needs to produce on the court.  However, when you play him so much and continue to highlight his shortcomings, it causes great angst for many of our fans. We saw 975 minutes of play from Derrick last season in which we saw the opposition sag off of him 5 feet due to his 7% shooting from the 3 point stripe, and in the words of our former coach - were playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end.  

Given that you have a different roster composition this year with both Carlino and Duane eligible, as well as the guy who backed Derrick up as a freshman - John Dawson - who shot 28% from the 3 point line and 78% from the FT line -  along with coming up big in our best win of the season last year - the only game he was given more than 20 minutes all last season - many of us would like to see you turn the page and begin to develop the younger, more talented players on the roster for the future.

Thanks, and thank you for the great recruiting class you signed this fall.  Incredible.

Ners

Why was beating a team that didn't even make noise in the NIT our best win? As I recall we beat xavier and they actually made the ncaa tournament.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
Why be a d1ck about it.  Ya, he struggles.  We all know that.  He's also been a captain 2 years in a row.

Actually, Buzz never had captains.  So its now 4 games to be accurate.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »
Why was beating a team that didn't even make noise in the NIT our best win? As I recall we beat xavier and they actually made the ncaa tournament.

Because it doesn't fit his narrative. MU also beat Providence another tourney team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »
Because it doesn't fit his narrative. MU also beat Providence another tourney team.

My bad - I think it is proven out in ALL sports that winning on the road is much more difficult than winning on your home court.  GTown's backcourt duo of Starks and Rivera was pretty good too

But yes, Xavier and Providence were 2 other "good" wins of the 3 we had all year.

BTW - Aren't you the same guy who said Robert Jackson was a better player than Gardner as a senior?  But you didn't seem to have a whole lot to say when called out on the fact Jackson played with 3 NBAers on the roster, one of which was D-Wade - the best ever at MU and spoon feed Jackson uncontested layups, and you had Diener at Point, and Novak as a floor spacer.  Somehow I think Rob Jackson would have struggled a little more with a backcourt of Derrick and Jake.  

So, context, like the above distinction between road wins and home wins.

I'll hang up and listen...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »
I have a 19 year old daughter.   I only hope she brings home someone with as much class, with as much strength of character, with as much leadership as Derrick Wilson.    The fact that I can beat him at HORSE is just gravy. ;D     But seriously, to constantly rag on this guy, who has been a great teammate, who has lead, who has only done what was asked by two different coaches......says way more about the haters than it does about him.   
How do you know you can beat him at Horse? Oh, OK, just shoot FT's.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
How do you know you can beat him at Horse? Oh, OK, just shoot FT's.

Good call.   Better make sure the 'no dunking' rule is in effect or I am doomed. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
The only love Derrick Wilson will get from me is when the game clock hits all zeros on senior day.

My guess about Dawson is he just doesn't have the intelligence right now to play in Wojo's system. It'll develop, he wont transfer

+1
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:26:12 PM by Nevada233 »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 09:17:43 PM »
My bad - I think it is proven out in ALL sports that winning on the road is much more difficult than winning on your home court.  GTown's backcourt duo of Starks and Rivera was pretty good too

But yes, Xavier and Providence were 2 other "good" wins of the 3 we had all year.

Yes, winning on the road is tougher, but Georgetown wasn't good. They actually finished below MU in the Big East last year.

BTW - Aren't you the same guy who said Robert Jackson was a better player than Gardner as a senior?  But you didn't seem to have a whole lot to say when called out on the fact Jackson played with 3 NBAers on the roster, one of which was D-Wade - the best ever at MU and spoon feed Jackson uncontested layups, and you had Diener at Point, and Novak as a floor spacer.  Somehow I think Rob Jackson would have struggled a little more with a backcourt of Derrick and Jake.  

So, context, like the above distinction between road wins and home wins.

I'll hang up and listen...

Nope, never said that. You're thinking of a different guy.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »
Or, Dawson loves his experience in the MU culture and accepts his role. Every team has players like this. Rosters usually have 12 - 15 players and the bottom 4 or 5 are not going to play much, at least in meaningful games, and they accept this.

Players at this level know where they stand compared to their competition on the team. Most are able to accept that. Just looking back at posts from John's dad, I think the overall experience is important to John and his family.

Culture and experience, he's not in the Coast Guard or the Marine Corp... Every College basketball player wants to play... Theres no way he would leave home to go ride the bench for 4 years play garbage time and get a free degree... I'm sure thats not gonna be the case...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:19:28 PM by Nevada233 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 09:28:04 PM »
Culture and experience, he's not in the Coast Guard or the Marine Core... Every College basketball player wants to play... Theres no way he would leave home to go ride the bench for 4 years play garbage time and get a free degree... I'm sure thats not gonna be the case...

The Marine "Core"?

brandx

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
Culture and experience, he's not in the Coast Guard or the Marine Core... Every College basketball player wants to play... Theres no way he would leave home to go ride the bench for 4 years play garbage time and get a free degree... I'm sure thats not gonna be the case...

Never happens - except on every team in the country.

brandx

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »
The Marine "Core"?

C'mon Lenny. That's the guy that stands in the middle when they huddle up.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
Dear Wojo,

Ners

So why is the ONLY current conclusion that Dawson isn't playing because of a logjam/encouraged transfer?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »
Actually, Buzz never had captains.  So its now 4 games to be accurate.

Sorry, you are wrong.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
Awesome - in all the suckitude of last year, we beat Xavier - yeah!!!

Does it really matter?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
The only conclusion I can draw is this:

Wojo sees a logjam at the 2 on the current roster and next year's - prefers Duane at the 2, there's JJJ, there's Cohen.  You have Cheatham coming and Nick N in next year's class.  Nick N - from what I've seen and heard is a very similar player to Dawson - a combo guard.  He's not a burner, but a solid shooter and distributor as is Dawson.

What all of that adds up to, along with Dawson not getting any PT, in my connecting the dots - is that Wojo is trying to essentially encourage a transfer - to free a scholarship to go out and recruit a pure PG.  There is little else that makes sense as far as how hard Dawson has been nailed to the bench on a thin roster, where none of the guards have established themselves yet as absolute must haves to be on the court.  They are all being given a chance to show what they can do - Dawson?  Not so much.

I'd at least hope Wojo is being transparent with Dawson and his family as far as what's going on - be stand up enough guy to say:  We are overloaded at the 2 guard position and we feel it would be in John's best interests to look elsewhere.

You twist yourself into knots on this stuff, and there isn't any reason to.

Keep it simple, stupid. KISS.

Dawson likely isn't playing because he's not better than the guy(s) in front of him (yet).

END.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
You can like the kid, but you don't have to like the player. 

If you liked the kid, you would never, ever be happy when he got injured.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
Ahh Scoop...there are many ways in life to kill brain cells. Alcohol, drugs, autoerotic asphyxiation, but surely the most effective is reading Ners' posts. Ignore only does so much.

So let's see...the way I see it there are two possibilities. Either Ners has a better basketball mind than Buzz Williams and his staff that included Jerry Wainwright and his 30 years of college coaching, and also a better basketball mind than anyone on Wojo's staff, which is led by a guy that put a ton of guys in the NBA while also coaching the likes of LeBron and Wade with USA Basketball, all thanks to Ners amazing experience as what, a freaking high school basketball player?

OR Ners simply isn't as good a talent evaluator as the guys that get paid millions to do this and see these guys every day. Hmm...which seems more likely?

I also am amused by all the "Derrick is historically bad" BS when Dawson had a worse shooting percentage and worse offensive rating last year. Of course, we can't count any of that because it doesn't fit the narrative it doesn't count if a guy doesn't get 10 minutes to warm up  ::)
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
Dear Wojo,

Ners

Dear Ners:

I sure wish that in all of those words, you had reconfirmed you were giving me the benefit of the doubt. Because if there's one thing I live for, it's getting the benefit of the doubt from wannabe ballers.

You've convinced me of one thing, though: I need to play Derrick even more because it will be fun knowing it made a frustrated ex-jock's head explode!

Love,
Wojo
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »
I think hes subliminally be encouraged to transfer. I mean is he that much worse than anyone else.