[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Dawson  (Read 91354 times)

MU62

• Starter
John Dawson
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:47 AM »
I have not noticed that much being covered on John Dawson's situation.  He is not playing at all on a nine member team - even when two of the players were injured.  Is he leaving at the semester?  Is he being red shirted?  Is he injured?  Is it that he can't play defense because that is the same deficiency other players have.  I have liked John's play last year.  I thought he was very good distributing the ball.  I still remember Dvante saying he thought John was the best point guard.  I am sad he is not playing.     

GGGG

• All American
Re: John Dawson
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
I have not noticed that much being covered on John Dawson's situation.

You probably should read the threads a little closer.  I think the consensus is that he simply isn't as good as the players in front of him.  No idea if he is leaving at semester or the end of the year.  A lot of speculation at this point, but certainly nothing definitive. 

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
I have notice some speculation on the threads but very little.  That is why I have asked the question.  Thanks for your curt remark. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
I wasn't trying to be curt.  I understand that threads get off topic and stuff gets buried, but there has been a lot of talk about Dawson and I simply tried to summarize it for you.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
Just on sheer numbers, you'd think he'd see the court. It's not like he was a train wreck last year. I never thought he was as good as some on this board, but he didn't look out of place. Has to be more to the story.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »
Just a note, that it is impossible for him to redshirt, since he did play in the Tennessee Martin game.

If he were injured there's a possibility of a hardship waiver being granted, but there's no indication that he's injured.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »
I wasn't trying to be curt.  I understand that threads get off topic and stuff gets buried, but there has been a lot of talk about Dawson and I simply tried to summarize it for you.

A Scoop newby legitimately reached out for insight but you couldn't resist starting your response with, "You probably should read the threads a little closer."

Had you simply wanted to summarize, you would have skipped that admonishment. "Curt" probably was a kind description.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:33:44 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »
Just on sheer numbers, you'd think he'd see the court. It's not like he was a train wreck last year. I never thought he was as good as some on this board, but he didn't look out of place. Has to be more to the story.

Has he been slapping fives with his teammates?

JD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
A Scoop newby legitimately reached out for insight but you couldn't resist starting your response with, "You probably should read the threads a little closer."

Had you simply wanted to summarize, you would have skipped that admonishment. "Curt" probably was a kind description.

+1

Guy is a clown.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
The only conclusion I can draw is this:

Wojo sees a logjam at the 2 on the current roster and next year's - prefers Duane at the 2, there's JJJ, there's Cohen.  You have Cheatham coming and Nick N in next year's class.  Nick N - from what I've seen and heard is a very similar player to Dawson - a combo guard.  He's not a burner, but a solid shooter and distributor as is Dawson.

What all of that adds up to, along with Dawson not getting any PT, in my connecting the dots - is that Wojo is trying to essentially encourage a transfer - to free a scholarship to go out and recruit a pure PG.  There is little else that makes sense as far as how hard Dawson has been nailed to the bench on a thin roster, where none of the guards have established themselves yet as absolute must haves to be on the court.  They are all being given a chance to show what they can do - Dawson?  Not so much.

I'd at least hope Wojo is being transparent with Dawson and his family as far as what's going on - be stand up enough guy to say:  We are overloaded at the 2 guard position and we feel it would be in John's best interests to look elsewhere.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:49:20 AM by NersEllenson »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
The only conclusion I can draw is this:

Wojo sees a logjam at the 2 on the current roster and next year's - prefers Duane at the 2, there's JJJ, there's Cohen.  You have Cheatham coming and Nick N in next year's class.  Nick N - from what I've seen and heard is a very similar player to Dawson - a combo guard.  He's not a burner, but a solid shooter and distributor as is Dawson.

What all of that adds up to, along with Dawson not getting any PT, in my connecting the dots - is that Wojo is trying to essentially encourage a transfer - to free a scholarship to go out and recruit a pure PG.  There is little else that makes sense as far as how hard Dawson has been nailed to the bench on a thin roster, where none of the guards have established themselves yet as absolute must haves to be on the court.  They've are all being given a chance to show what they can do - Dawson?  Not so much.

I'd at least hope Wojo is being transparent with Dawson and his family as far as what's going on - be stand up enough guy to say:  We are overloaded at the 2 guard position and we feel it would be in John's best interests to look elsewhere.

I was under the impression we viewed Dawson as a 1.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
 With 2 guards coming in next year, the playing time for Dawson might be nil going forward, is he trying to run Dawson off?  I do not know.  Figuring there going to play John and Wally
at the forwards next year, with Sandy and Deonte backing up, that might might move JuJann to the 2 guard, which then that might make him the 5th wheel?  Why would he stay?  MU
really needs either a JC point or JC forward to add to the team.  Nick and Cheatham will see time next year, thoughts?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
I was under the impression we viewed Dawson as a 1.

The current staff sees him as a 2.  And, I'd probably agree that is his best position, yet I feel he is capable of playing the 1 as well - but again, he's not a burner or a guy who is going to be great at breaking someone down off the dribble.  But, he sees the court very well, is good in transition, has very good anticipation skills and feel for the game, and that was evident last year.  There are PG's who can be successful as non-burners, but it is very nice to have a guy who can get in the lane at will as a PG.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
The current staff sees him as a zero.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
Ah. Another convoluted excuse to why Dawson isn't playing. Buzz Trying to throw games, 2 coaching staffs are wrong, Wojo is living vvicariously throw derrick and now encouraging a transfer. No legit possibility that Dawson just isn't as good as people have made him out to be.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
The current staff sees him as a 2.  And, I'd probably agree that is his best position, yet I feel he is capable of playing the 1 as well - but again, he's not a burner or a guy who is going to be great at breaking someone down off the dribble.  But, he sees the court very well, is good in transition, has very good anticipation skills and feel for the game, and that was evident last year.  There are PG's who can be successful as non-burners, but it is very nice to have a guy who can get in the lane at will as a PG.

I suspect wojo does not share your analysis of his skills.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 12:27:02 PM »
Ah. Another convoluted excuse to why Dawson isn't playing. Buzz Trying to throw games, 2 coaching staffs are wrong, Wojo is living vvicariously throw derrick and now encouraging a transfer. No legit possibility that Dawson just isn't as good as people have made him out to be.

Ding ding ding!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »

I don't know if it's as "sinister-sounding" as trying to run a guy off, but Wojo probably wouldn't be crushed if Dawson looks at this as a sign he should leave.

I certainly would think that unless Dawson loves-loves-loves the overall Marquette experience, he would seriously consider going to a school that will employ his services as a basketball player.

We haven't seen enough of him to be certain to say he can't play at this level, but two coaches now have indicated as much. He'd probably do well at a low-major, maybe even the right mid-major.

Of course, we could have said the same about Juan when he was a soph, and he indeed did almost transfer, and now look at him.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »

Nice.  Answer a question:

Do you feel there is a logjam at the 2 guard position this year/next and a shortage at the 1?

If so, does it not make sense to potentially try to clear a slot at the 2?

Nonetheless, Wojo seems to have come to the conclusion that of his current guards Dawson is the most "expendable," and therefore not as good as the other underclassmen.  I can see where he on the surface has drawn that conclusion given that JJJ and Cohen all have more length than Dawson.  Duane more quickness.  Yet, JJJ and Cohen have been wildly inconsistent thus far and are being given opportunity.

At some point Wojo will have to let go of the whole notion that Derrick is a valuable contributor to the team as a player on the floor.  All of his minutes should be given to Duane, Sandy, JJJ and Dawson.  He's not the future.  And he isn't going to help in the present.  Rebuild mode, get the young guys ready - and in so doing they'll like achieve more by February than if he continues to ride Derrick.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »

John Dawson is a very skilled basketball player. He's far and away better than anyone on this board has ever been or ever dreamed of being. However, at this point it's becoming clear that he's just not a high-major talent. I commend him for taking on the challenge of playing at Marquette and I hope I'm wrong and he proves to be a valuable member of this team, but he likely would have been better off (from a PT standpoint) choosing Wyoming or New Mexico State.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
At some point Wojo will have to let go of the whole notion that Derrick is a valuable contributor to the team as a player on the floor.

Like it or not (I don't, and my perceptive brain has an inkling that you really don't), it is possible that "some point" might not arrive until the spring!

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
I do find it weird that Dawson hasn't seen the floor at all, especially considering the level of competition we have played and the short bench. Then again, we haven't exactly been playing with any sort of comfortable lead (that is if have one to begin with) where a third string PG can have significant minutes.

I do believe Dawson can contribute to this team, even if it's only 7-10 minutes a game.

FLwarriorENT

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
He's gone.  He should go back home to NM and play at UNM or NM State.  Not horrible programs, and probably more in-line with his talent level.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »
He's gone.  He should go back home to NM and play at UNM or NM State.  Not horrible programs, and probably more in-line with his talent level.
Those are both good BB schools.  NM handed it to MU last year.