[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I like Wojo's Positive Quotes  (Read 8276 times)

MauraDay

• Team Captain
I like Wojo's Positive Quotes
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
While it may sound like "coach-speak," he makes good points about players adjusting to new roles, in my opinion:

"I was proud of all of our guys tonight because a number of them made huge winning plays and for some of them that was the first time they've ever done it."

"I thought Juan Anderson was sensational tonight," Wojciechowski said. "Look, we're asking all of our players to be in positions that they've never had to be in before as players. Juan Anderson had 20 and 9. He's never done that before. For Duane Wilson at the end of the game to make that strong drive and make free throws — he's never done that before."

"Winning in college basketball is not easy, especially for a younger and inexperienced group," Wojciechowski said. "We have to fight and work so hard to grind out wins. That's who we are right now. Hopefully we'll continue to get better.

"I was really proud that we hung tough and we made winning plays with guys who have never been asked to make those plays in a high-pressure situation."

(from Velazquez article)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: I like Wojo's Positive Quotes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:57:37 AM »
So there it is. Change the mascot to a hoagie bun and the team name to "Grinders". And hold the Mayo.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
While it may sound like "coach-speak," he makes good points about players adjusting to new roles, in my opinion:

"I was proud of all of our guys tonight because a number of them made huge winning plays and for some of them that was the first time they've ever done it."

"I thought Juan Anderson was sensational tonight," Wojciechowski said. "Look, we're asking all of our players to be in positions that they've never had to be in before as players. Juan Anderson had 20 and 9. He's never done that before. For Duane Wilson at the end of the game to make that strong drive and make free throws — he's never done that before."

"Winning in college basketball is not easy, especially for a younger and inexperienced group," Wojciechowski said. "We have to fight and work so hard to grind out wins. That's who we are right now. Hopefully we'll continue to get better.

"I was really proud that we hung tough and we made winning plays with guys who have never been asked to make those plays in a high-pressure situation."

(from Velazquez article)
I think he needs to be very positive with these kids. They need to have confidence in themselves and each other. Every game is going to be a war this year.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:18:34 PM by Texas Western »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:49:53 AM »
Meanwhile Buzz would have said "we're just not very good" about 50 times. What a culture change
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
Not only are these statements very positive, but they also happen to be true.

Aside from Carlino, and maybe Burton and Derrick, every single player on the team is being asked to do something he never has before as a college athlete.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
Meanwhile Buzz would have said "we're just not very good" about 50 times. What a culture change

Ha, this is true
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:48 AM »
What's more, last year (and several years for some) most of these players had very confused, mixed messages from the coaching staff. I believe many of these guys were just beat down as players and perhaps lost a level of confidence. It takes time to gain that  back. Some may never get there, but others will figure out how to step up. As a fan last night was brutal considering who we played. As a player, it was a huge confidence builder for certain players and the team.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
I get it. Only wish our guys had NJIT's hustle, energy and cohesive play.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
What's more, last year (and several years for some) most of these players had very confused, mixed messages from the coaching staff. I believe many of these guys were just beat down as players and perhaps lost a level of confidence. It takes time to gain that  back. Some may never get there, but others will figure out how to step up. As a fan last night was brutal considering who we played. As a player, it was a huge confidence builder for certain players and the team.

Beat down?  If you've been beat down mentally, then you're not tough enough to play to begin with.  A coach's job is to be hard on you and push you to new levels you never thought you could achieve.  That's what makes a better player.  

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
I get it. Only wish our guys had NJIT's hustle, energy and cohesive play.
The hustle and energy is there, the cohesive play...not so much. The perceived lack of hustle and energy is a byproduct of thinking too much and not just ballin'. MU is a mess right now but it's not from lack of effort.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »

Aside from Carlino, and maybe Burton and Derrick, every single player on the team is being asked to do something he never has before as a college athlete.

Exactly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »
Beat down?  If you've been beat down mentally, then you're not tough enough to play to begin with.  A coach's job is to be hard on you and push you to new levels you never thought you could achieve.  That's what makes a better player.  

There's more than one way to achieve this, and not all players respond the exact same way to every coaching style.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »

Told you aren't good over and over is gonna get in your head. The Jucos and underrated guys might respond to that because they have a chip but the top 100 guys have been told how good they are their hole life and have a swag if they're suddenly berrated Id be willing to bet it'd negatively effect their game.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Told you aren't good over and over is gonna get in your head. The Jucos and underrated guys might respond to that because they have a chip but the top 100 guys have been told how good they are their hole life and have a swag if they're suddenly berrated Id be willing to bet it'd negatively effect their game.

I can tell you've never been pushed to the limits before.  Besides, it's not like a coach is berating you 24/7.  That just doesn't happen.  Practice is when they jump on you.  Outside of practice is where they are a mentor in many aspects of life. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
I can tell you've never been pushed to the limits before.  Besides, it's not like a coach is berating you 24/7.  That just doesn't happen.  Practice is when they jump on you.  Outside of practice is where they are a mentor in many aspects of life. 

I was an all conference lacrosse player and won Chicago golden gloves back to back then placed in nationals you go ahead and do that and come back and tell me how I've never been pushed to my limits.  The difference is I was a white college student in a ghetto boxing gym berrating me worked. In HS lacrosse our coach constantly told us how bad we were and it got to our heads and ruined our confidence.  Buzz was always saying how bad the teams were and such no matter what you'd like to believe.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 11:00:44 AM »

I coach now and I used to play several sports. A good coach knows which buttons to push on each player. Some respond well to being pushed hard. Others need a shoulder to lean on sometimes. Yell at some and you motivate them. Yell at others and you lose them.

There is a difference between working players hard and berating them constantly. My team runs and runs and runs. Opposing coaches and even refs say we are the hardest-working, most-hustling team in the league. But I don't drive my players to that level by constantly berating them, yelling at them and cussing them.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »

Probably because these kids are used to people tearing them down.

Then they - and Buzz - would use that "chip on their shoulder" to push themselves.

I don't know which is the right way of going about it, but results are results and teams are an extension of their coaches' personalities.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »
What's more, last year (and several years for some) most of these players had very confused, mixed messages from the coaching staff. I believe many of these guys were just beat down as players and perhaps lost a level of confidence. It takes time to gain that  back. Some may never get there, but others will figure out how to step up. As a fan last night was brutal considering who we played. As a player, it was a huge confidence builder for certain players and the team.

So we get to blame Buzz if this year goes bad?  Cool.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
The more I think about it, Wojo can use this year as a big coaching lesson and learn different philosophies or he can stick to his ways(the more likely option since he only has done it the "Duke way").  But he can use this embarrassment as a big motivator to adapt, which may be beneficial to his career in the long run.  Either way,  we'll see if he can coach in the upcoming weeks.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
There are positive ways of pushing a kid hard that successful coaches at all levels employ.  For example,the "Sandwich" method, package a negative between two positives. It is pretty easy to tell when you look at these kids faces, they need that positive reinforcement along side the tough coaching.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
There are positive ways of pushing a kid hard that successful coaches at all levels employ.  For example,the "Sandwich" method, package a negative between two positives. It is pretty easy to tell when you look at these kids faces, they need that positive reinforcement along side the tough coaching.

I like to empower the kids. I ask them to name the things we did really well in a game and we talk about how we can repeat those things or work to do them even better. Then I ask them to name the things that definitely need improvement and we talk about those and work on those. Then I go back for more positives if I feel that is needed.

Is this a form of coddling? Maybe, maybe not. Depends upon one's definitions. I just look for methods that work -- and methods that I would have appreciated in my playing days. I am constantly trying to put myself in their shoes and asking myself, "What motivated me?"

Class71

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »

VT looses another one tonight by 19 to Northern Iowa. Looks like Bert's coaching technique hasn't saved the day yet for the castrated turkey's.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
VT looses another one tonight by 19 to Northern Iowa. Looks like Bert's coaching technique hasn't saved the day yet for the castrated turkey's.

True ..... but VaTech's cupboard was bare already.  Ours was supposed to have some potential. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »

I have UNI in my tournament bracket. But that bad of a loss stings certainly
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:07 AM »

Most not all...