[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: To the fans that stayed  (Read 11475 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: To the fans that stayed
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
I don't even have a beef with students who skipped the game altogether to study.

But using studying as an excuse to leave 15 minutes early after you have already committed 2+ hours to coming to and watching the game is bull.  Just admit that it was getting too painful to watch.  I will admit that I was tempted to turn off the TV for that reason.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
It strikes me as odd that someone needed to start a thread basically to let others know he was jackass at the game last night.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
While not referring to last night's game,  there does seem to be a tendency for some students to arrive late/leave early.  But so far this season they've way outperformed us old guys. Keep up the good work!  This team needs your support.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »
It strikes me as odd that someone needed to start a thread basically to let others know he was jackass at the game last night.

Context is important...The kids behind me were ripping steve yelling things like, "you scored for them why can't you score for us" as well as "you might as just well put on a red jerset for today's game" I was more then a little frustrated at hearing that for 5 straight minutes so I lashed out. If that makes me a jack ass so be it, I'll take that title. But they sure as hell didn't say anything like that for the rset of the game.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
I was there the entire game.  I was really impressed with the student section.  They were for the most part there until the end.  They were truely into the game and really let the refs have it a few times.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
Context is important...The kids behind me were ripping steve yelling things like, "you scored for them why can't you score for us" as well as "you might as just well put on a red jerset for today's game" I was more then a little frustrated at hearing that for 5 straight minutes so I lashed out. If that makes me a jack ass so be it, I'll take that title. But they sure as hell didn't say anything like that for the rset of the game.

I'm have season tickets in the uppers and deal with this a lot in my section. The guys directly behind me just deride Derrick and Juan for the entire game. Saturday was particularly awful, and it took all my restraint not to turn around and scream at them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
Ners sits behind you?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
Is this why you and Ners butt heads?  Because he had a Organic chem final back in 1980, and you never forgave him for it?

Ha!

I'm guessing Ners was one of the opponents I used to foul repeatedly. There was only one ref and I was a bit of a thug -- I'd clutch, I'd grab, I'd stay in the lane for 10 seconds, whatever it took until the ref called something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »
I'm have season tickets in the uppers and deal with this a lot in my section. The guys directly behind me just deride Derrick and Juan for the entire game. Saturday was particularly awful, and it took all my restraint not to turn around and scream at them.

Yea, I couldnt take it anymore. Its a little different I feel when its fellow students vs. a graduate of some sort. I could probably get away with it. My thought process was you wait outside for the game and have the nerve to rip on people you go to school with? I saw the people next to me who where there friends I believe trying to hold back laughter. I got my point across and thats all that matters. Its funny cause I am not an intimating looking person but they were VERY supportive the rest of the game.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
Yea, I couldnt take it anymore. Its a little different I feel when its fellow students vs. a graduate of some sort. I could probably get away with it. My thought process was you wait outside for the game and have the nerve to rip on people you go to school with? I saw the people next to me who where there friends I believe trying to hold back laughter. I got my point across and thats all that matters. Its funny cause I am not an intimating looking person but they were VERY supportive the rest of the game.

I don't know if there is anything more frustrating than being passionate about your team and then being surrounded by negativity around it during a game.

I'm a big Steelers fan and there is a Steelers bar just 3 blocks from my apartment that I went to several times.  But unfortunately, its usually just around 20-25 of us and most are somewhat quiet except for this one guy who is just so loud and complains every play about coaching, or blocking, or our linebacker didnt sack the QB hard enough.  Its made me stop going.  I'd rather go much further to a different Steelers bar where I can barely move and cant get a seat and beers are $2 more just so I don't have to listen to that crap.

Kudos to you for getting them to stop.  The game was not very fun to watch, but there is no reason to be extremely negative to players on the court about it.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
I don't know if there is anything more frustrating than being passionate about your team and then being surrounded by negativity around it during a game.

I'm a big Steelers fan and there is a Steelers bar just 3 blocks from my apartment that I went to several times.  But unfortunately, its usually just around 20-25 of us and most are somewhat quiet except for this one guy who is just so loud and complains every play about coaching, or blocking, or our linebacker didnt sack the QB hard enough.  Its made me stop going.  I'd rather go much further to a different Steelers bar where I can barely move and cant get a seat and beers are $2 more just so I don't have to listen to that crap.

Kudos to you for getting them to stop.  The game was not very fun to watch, but there is no reason to be extremely negative to players on the court about it.

Steelers fan here too. Kudos to you. I hate those types of fans. Wish they would stop playing down to competition this year though.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
Just admit that it was getting too painful to watch.  I will admit that I was tempted to turn off the TV for that reason.
I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day...no matter the opponent...I thought that was an entertaining finish!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day...no matter the opponent...I thought that was an entertaining finish!

Definitely agree.
Have some patience, FFS.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
1st congradulations to Marquette for winning.  Last thing we need is to discourage the team.  I do not know the circumstances of the small crowd, but I have to say the place looked empty on TV.  Hopefully just a combination of bad weather, thanksgiving, school study priorities, disinterest in opponent.   

School priorities and Thanksgiving rules it for the student section. There was also a decent storm all day long that made roads fairly bad. Alot of people didnt see the need to go to a cupcake game.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »

Just providing a different point to the thinking of a college student rooting for basketball.

It's become a fairly common thing at many division 1 schools to not see basketball & football players as fellow students. Many get (rightfully so) jealous over the priority treatment athletes receive over other students. This could be nicer dorms, insane locker rooms and club houses compared to the average student lobby, priority pick in classes, free tutoring/priority tutoring. All this while going to school for free while many other students are taking out loans that will last 10-15 years to go to the same school.

Now all of this coupled with the brewing fight between the NCAA and the players about payments and benefits. -To a normal non athlete student it's hard to see what all the complaining is about when they're getting 4 years of college for free that normally cost upwards of $20,000 dollars-  There has been a large uprising of hatred, not necessary at the players, but the institution as a whole against all of this. Which is why you can see some students berating players, not showing up, or not appearing enthused. You need to remember that now a days students are not watching these games to cheer on their fellow students but to blow off steam from classes and exams or get a nights worth of entertainment.

Now this isn't saying anything against the challenges that some student athletes have, nor is it saying that I agree with the above statements. But it is how many college students feel now a days with a weak economy and no guarantee of a job coming out of college with a crapton of debt.

You need to remember that it is no longer the 1990's and lower. The new generation of students have different priorities and a different mindset then 20 years ago. It is something that you do need to respect on the part of them.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
I would of been there the entire game, but I left for Florida after Saturdays game. My decission to leave Saturday was based on road conditions. The roads were good and I am typing this in Florida. Given Monday's weather I made the right decision.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »
Just providing a different point to the thinking of a college student rooting for basketball.

It's become a fairly common thing at many division 1 schools to not see basketball & football players as fellow students. Many get (rightfully so) jealous over the priority treatment athletes receive over other students. This could be nicer dorms, insane locker rooms and club houses compared to the average student lobby, priority pick in classes, free tutoring/priority tutoring. All this while going to school for free while many other students are taking out loans that will last 10-15 years to go to the same school.

Now all of this coupled with the brewing fight between the NCAA and the players about payments and benefits. -To a normal non athlete student it's hard to see what all the complaining is about when they're getting 4 years of college for free that normally cost upwards of $20,000 dollars-  There has been a large uprising of hatred, not necessary at the players, but the institution as a whole against all of this. Which is why you can see some students berating players, not showing up, or not appearing enthused. You need to remember that now a days students are not watching these games to cheer on their fellow students but to blow off steam from classes and exams or get a nights worth of entertainment.

Now this isn't saying anything against the challenges that some student athletes have, nor is it saying that I agree with the above statements. But it is how many college students feel now a days with a weak economy and no guarantee of a job coming out of college with a crapton of debt.

You need to remember that it is no longer the 1990's and lower. The new generation of students have different priorities and a different mindset then 20 years ago. It is something that you do need to respect on the part of them.

I know you said you do not necessarily agree with these sentiments,  but again,  These players do not get a college education for free.   They earned it,  with more sacrifice and hard work than many @ MU.

In another universe I imagine a message board of only D 1 basketball players whining about their fellow students who get free rides because of Ignatius scholarships.