[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 14602 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: SOTG
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »
Totally get this PG1/PG2 thing. It's the nature of our roster as it stands. What I'd like to see is when Duane is in at the same time as Derrick & Carlino, that he is PG1. Meaning he brings the ball up, he initiates the offense, he runs the show. As of now, he is definitely "PG2" in this scenario, as either Derrick or Carlino bring it up and get things started when they're all in at the same time. Derrick can guard the opposition's PG, Duane should take the lead fully and completely on O. Need to maximize his touches and have him get the feel of being the QB. He looks to be a natural at it.

I don't see the playing time as necessarily being between, Carlino, Duane and Derrick. When Fischer plays he is not going to take Taylor or Juan's minutes, he is going to take one of the guards minutes.  Also Burton will play more and probably Cohen and JJJ.

Fischer 5, Taylor 4, Juan 3, Duane 2 Carlino 1.  

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
I am keeping my expectations low for Fischer as I am for the season in general. There are going to many highs and lows this year and I'm just excited to see the young guys grow and hopefully start to gel more as the season progresses.

I'm also excited to see Wojo to continue to grow and see how he adapts to this roster. The future is bright for MU. Just trying to respect the process and have a little patience with undersized and inexperienced team from the head coach on down.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
I don't see the playing time as necessarily being between, Carlino, Duane and Derrick. When Fischer plays he is not going to take Taylor or Juan's minutes, he is going to take one of the guards minutes.  Also Burton will play more and probably Cohen and JJJ.

Fischer 5, Taylor 4, Juan 3, Duane 2 Carlino 1.  

Right, I'm saying that I'd rather see Duane as the lead PG rather than as the 2, even when Derrick and Carlino are on the court  with him. I'm happy with the PT he's getting, and playing the 2 is infinitely better than not playing at all. I just think the more he plays at the 1 against various competition this year, the better he and the team will be in the long run (and the short run too).

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Right, I'm saying that I'd rather see Duane as the lead PG rather than as the 2, even when Derrick and Carlino are on the court  with him. I'm happy with the PT he's getting, and playing the 2 is infinitely better than not playing at all. I just think the more he plays at the 1 against various competition this year, the better he and the team will be in the long run (and the short run too).

Agree, kind of.  If derrick is in the game and not playing the point then he is even more of an offensive liability.  We need the 2 to score and the 1 to score and penetrate at least a little.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »
Absolutely. TAMU dismissed Duane's play by making a deragatoty comment about "garbage time" and that he was awful or a liability the rest of the game. This was done to support his/Buzz's theory that Derrick is the "man". He does not like Duane over his boy Derrick--fine. IMO Duane is the future and already more valuable than the other.
And please TAMU, spare us the platitudes of his elight D, and ignoring the rest: like Poor FT and FG shooting; limited court vision; limited ability to penetrate; etc. But hey he is great at moving the ball side to side.
I will say it again for the last time: Derrick is a great kid, plays hard, has stuck it out for 4 years, but is only a backup PG. He is not elight, not a stud, but is a role player. He does not warrant 30 minutes a game. Maybe 5 each half, and definitely not at crunch time--maybe "garbage time" in deference to the Eagle.

Ihave posted repeatedly that derrick is a backup pg deserving of about ten minutes a game. Duane is the future, but right now we need him at sg. I want him to get more minutes than Johnson at this point. And yes, in the osu game Duane was a huge liability on d and never played the pg position. He had a nice offensive run in the last six minutes (also known as garbage time).

You see me posting Willie but you do but observe what is actually being written
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:03:00 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
Sultan,

While I usually agree with your analysis, Juan is absolutely terrible off the ball on both ends of the court.

He can't set a screen or a pick, he's getting tossed around while cutting and can't box out a 6-footer from NJIT.

He looks gaudy, but his overall game is abysmal. Unfortunately, that's all Wojo's got.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
I just thought Juan kept us in the game when we needed him to.  But really I'm not all that vested.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Ihave posted repeatedly that derrick is a backup pg deserving of about ten minutes a game. Duane is the future, but right now we need him at sg. I want him to get more minutes than Johnson at this point. And yes, in the osu game Duane was a huge liability on d and never played the pg position. He had a nice offensive run in the last six minutes (also known as garbage time).

You see me posting Willie but you do but observe what is actually being written

Some are very guilty of selective reading.

TAMU, you are spot on about Duane in the OSU game. He was far from the only offender, but his defense was abysmal and he did little offensively until garbage time.  Stop wasting your time trying to appease the most joyless Scooper out there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson