[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Update: The BE is 39-3 to start the year.  (Read 19207 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: The BE is 30-2 to start non-conference this year. Guess who has the "2"!!
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
What's this board's obsession with how the rest of the conference is doing? Who cares?

Really??
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
What's this board's obsession with how the rest of the conference is doing? Who cares?

It's imperative that the Big East as a whole play well in order to attract recruits.  It's an uphill battle against the Power 5 conferences due to the extended media coverage they receive vs. Big East.  Consistent winning keeps the conference fresh in everyone's mind and helps us develop as a brand.  Need I say more?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
It's imperative that the Big East as a whole play well in order to attract recruits.  It's an uphill battle against the Power 5 conferences due to the extended media coverage they receive vs. Big East.  Consistent winning keeps the conference fresh in everyone's mind and helps us develop as a brand.  Need I say more?

Especially given all the eulogies given about the conference and how it is "not a power conference." Success of the conference as a whole is the best way to silence critics and stay in the national conversation.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
I give credit to people that care about the other BE teams and openly root for them to win. I can't flip a switch like that. I don't like any of them due to the fact that some of them beat us last year and we will struggle this year.

Did you guys root for UConn and SU, too?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »
I give credit to people that care about the other BE teams and openly root for them to win. I can't flip a switch like that. I don't like any of them due to the fact that some of them beat us last year and we will struggle this year.

Same here. To me this buddy buddy thing is weird I want real bad blood between schools. The only other schools I root for are Nova and GTown cause I want this conference dominated by the three of us over time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »

UConn yes, except when they played Marquette.
Syracuse, wellllllllll it depended who they were playing................

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »

I did when they were playing teams from outside the Big East.    I would root for UConn versus UNC, or Louisville against Kentucky.   I have no problem rooting for other teams in our conference against teams from other conferences, turning around and hating them again on January 1, and then rooting for them come the 3rd week in March. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »

Many BE teams actually receive quite a by more air time than the average power 5 team. For example, basically every MU game is televised. Most high major programs don't have that. I get that you were were referring to the talking heads though.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
Especially given all the eulogies given about the conference and how it is "not a power conference." Success of the conference as a whole is the best way to silence critics and stay in the national conversation.

That was never a legitimate argument, and th BE has certainly backed it up. The BE is every bit as good as the PAC12, SEC and Big12.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
That was never a legitimate argument, and th BE has certainly backed it up. The BE is every bit as good as the PAC12, SEC and Big12.

I agree that it wasn't either. But it was constantly in articles on the four-lettered network. So you just put up, let your body of work speak for itself and force feed them your success.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

I absolutely root for BEast teams across the board.  I have a particular soft spot for Butler as we have a close friend at the university and know at least a handful of kids that currently attend.  Our own son seriously considered BU before coming to his senses and choosing to be Warrior.   That said, it still angers me that we blew a double digit lead during our road trip down there last year.  I totally blame chick for this misfortune as she metaphorically announced  #donedeal in Hinkle at the first media timeout of the second half.  Not. >:(

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »

You provided my answer to your dilemma - we aren't left with any programs we hate so much that the good of the conference comes secondary to hatred of them.  Syracuse picking up big non-conference wins might have been good for the conference, but we'd rather they lost.  The rest will always be #1-#9 on our list of largest RPI impact, affect our recruiting, national perception, television/licensing funds, just don't despise any of them enough to root against them against teams out of our conference.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »

*Their out-of-conference record boosts our RPI.
*Their tourney success translates into tourney credits, which is $$$.
*Success by other programs builds buzz/brand/recruiting

Take a cue from the old BE--SU and others went out of their way in the late 80s to pick up Providence and SHU. They realized the strength in numbers. Their prudence took the conference from a top-heavy conference dominated by SU and Gtown to being one that is strong from top to bottom and left a mark as the greatest bball conference ever assembled.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »

Even though it has a historic conference name, it is still a new an untested conference.  reputation, TV money, home attendance and recruiting all ride on the success of the conference.

If, on the other hand, we agreed with you and said "who cares" then we should just take Butler's old spot in the Horizon conference.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »

Take a cue from the old BE--SU and others went out of their way in the late 80s to pick up Providence and SHU. They realized the strength in numbers.

Wow. So bad I don't even know where to begin. You should read some books about the BE.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »

Take a cue from the old BE--SU and others went out of their way in the late 80s to pick up Providence and SHU. They realized the strength in numbers. Their prudence took the conference from a top-heavy conference dominated by SU and Gtown to being one that is strong from top to bottom and left a mark as the greatest bball conference ever assembled.

Don't know what you mean... Like SU and others were recruiting for PC and SH? Or what? I mean Providence was in the Final Four in 87 and Hall the championship game in 89. I don't think SU purposely lost to get those two some extra wins those years. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 07:45:37 PM »
Looks like DePaul might be jealous of Marquette. Trailing Lehigh by 7 at home late in the first half.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Update: The BE is 38-2 to start the year. Guess who has the "2"!!
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
Great game between Georgetown and Florida. 1 point game under a minute in overtime.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
Nice job by the Hoyas!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
Wow DSR what a clutch shot. Great win for Georgetown, hope they can knock off Becky Badger tomorrow.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Update: The BE is 39-3 to start the year.
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
I updated the table in the title. This is no longer a statistical oddity but getting to be very impressive considering the number of decent teams the Big East has already beaten.

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: Update: The BE is 39-3 to start the year.
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
I updated the table in the title. This is no longer a statistical oddity but getting to be very impressive considering the number of decent teams the Big East has already beaten.

Yes, but will anyone in Bristol notice?

I miss the exposure we (meaning the Big East) got from having UConn in ESPN's backyard.  Providence and the NY schools need to fill that gap.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
I was surprised to see that we are the lowest scoring team in the Big East. Only DePaul is giving up more points.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
‘Statistical oddity?’
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

AnotherMU84Heisenberg: Your repeated updates to your original post here are unnecessary and kinda weird since nothing about a 30-2 overall conference record to start the season was “odd,” statistically or otherwise.

And that you have now updated it to “39-3” only seems like an unnecessary effort to legitimize or at least salvage your original post.

Let it go, fella. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »

Yes, but will anyone in Bristol notice?

Unfortunately, yes.  Bilas noticed during the Butler-Oklahoma game...and then mentioned that Marquette and DePaul were responsible for the only losses.  Pretty painful to be mentioned in the same context as DePaul.

The only saving grace is that I'm confident it will be an aberration.