[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record  (Read 44240 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »
Kind of like you Sultan who "went on vacation" when Buzz totally FUBARED last season going 17-15 and not getting any tourney invite. Then when Buzz was given his powder, you made sure to start posting your support of Wojo while still lavishly praising Buzz. A true politician. Moratoriums are worthless anyhow, because they are frequently broken. I am guessing Ners still has not realized he was voted off.

By the way, wasn't the voting open to Nov. 25? Can't remember and too lazy to check. If it is Nov. 25, then you have a credibility problem based on your above statement. But of course, Sultan, you frequently shoot your mouth when you do not have all the facts, which is why so many desperately wait for it to happen again.

He gave it up for Lent.   Thought it was pretty clear.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »
Jamil coming to MU was well known in advance of its closure. The situation was held up because of a sports agent of Badger and Nike origins shopping Dunigan and Crittle after Kent's dismissal. (I posted this at the time)

Buzz wisely laid low while UCF didn't with Crittle and got in hot water. Newbill was swapped for someone else actually who both had the simiilar understanding. Confused communication between Monarch and Newbill's camp(s) led to a mess.  I think most fans would prefer the swap and the plan at the time was for Newbill to hit prep school then MU as Vander was always leaving early (sophmore year at latest).

Tough business but Newbill had time for another choice. No difference morally to me as Saunders or Levin except one was very late and another was in a semester. MU82 nailed it.

All horrible but squirminess takes different forms. We only choose to see the side we want to see. Mayo and Notre Dame Prep and no chance of graduating is wrong.  Lazar from ND Prep cleared after school started and with finishing no where near close to graduating is fine.  T-shirt Gate squirmy. Three minor NCAA recruiting violations while on major probation were an accident. Half the team cited for being underage in a private party room but not drinking is a program out of control. Half the team cited for drug, alcohol, DUIs are kids being kids.  #perspective
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:05:03 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:29 PM »
Buzz wisely laid low while UCF didn't with Crittle and got in hot water. Newbill was swapped for someone else actually who both had the simiilar understanding. Confused communication between Monarch and Newbill's camp(s) led to a mess.  I think most fans would prefer the swap and the plan at the time was for Newbill to hit prep school then MU as Vander was always leaving early (sophmore year at latest).

I'll fill in the blank... if Newbill comes, Davante doesn't.

Buzz shouldn't have taken the NLI when he wanted to stash him at a prep school. Even with perfect communication, the odds of it working out aren't great.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2014, 01:20:56 AM »
I'll fill in the blank... if Newbill comes, Davante doesn't.

Buzz shouldn't have taken the NLI when he wanted to stash him at a prep school. Even with perfect communication, the odds of it working out aren't great.

Yep, and Uncle Larry wouldn't have let Zar, Todd, Gardner or Newbill in the front door of The Al.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2014, 08:08:48 AM »

All horrible but squirminess takes different forms. We only choose to see the side we want to see. Mayo and Notre Dame Prep and no chance of graduating is wrong.  Lazar from ND Prep cleared after school started and with finishing no where near close to graduating is fine.  T-shirt Gate squirmy. Three minor NCAA recruiting violations while on major probation were an accident. Half the team cited for being underage in a private party room but not drinking is a program out of control. Half the team cited for drug, alcohol, DUIs are kids being kids.  #perspective

This nails it, good Doctor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »
Jamil coming to MU was well known in advance of its closure. The situation was held up because of a sports agent of Badger and Nike origins shopping Dunigan and Crittle after Kent's dismissal. (I posted this at the time)

Yep.

What isn't being said here is that Brad Forster gets involved when he had no clue what was talked about beforehand, and paints a picture using his limited knowledge.  Also "Phillycoach" tried to publicly leverage Newbill into MU which made it impossible to move forward with the prep route.

Buzz screwed up completely by letting Newbill sign the NLI.  That should have never occurred.  However Doctor is right.  Buzz knew about Jamil very early on.  Newbill knew it wasn't a guaranty.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
What isn't being said here is that Brad Forster gets involved when he had no clue what was talked about beforehand, and paints a picture using his limited knowledge.  Also "Phillycoach" tried to publicly leverage Newbill into MU which made it impossible to move forward with the prep route.

There's plenty of blame to cast around regarding the Newbill situation. Buzz definitely deserves some of that, Forster too, but I don't think anyone deserves more blame than Stan Laws, aka "PhillyCoach".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
There's plenty of blame to cast around regarding the Newbill situation. Buzz definitely deserves some of that, Forster too, but I don't think anyone deserves more blame than Stan Laws, aka "PhillyCoach".

You and Sultan seem to be closer on Newbill's back story. From my view, it seemed that there was always a backstory when Monarch was involved, whether true or not.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2014, 10:17:59 AM »
Yep, and Uncle Larry wouldn't have let Zar, Todd, Gardner or Newbill in the front door of The Al.

Wait, did Lazar graduate? For some reason, I thought he did.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
Wait, did Lazar graduate? For some reason, I thought he did.

Nope. Left school right after the season ended to prep for the draft. He's not far away.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
Nope. Left school right after the season ended to prep for the draft. He's not far away.

Yep, and another reason Uncle Larry was upset with subsequent NBAers who did the same thing under Buzz. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Yep, and another reason Uncle Larry was upset with subsequent NBAers who did the same thing under Buzz. 

Which shows the idiocy of Larry's thinking.  The college experience is intended to help thrust young adults toward their dream and passion in life.  For 99.9% of high major basketball players, that dream is to develop themselves into an NBA caliber player, or play internationally and earn their living that way.  When fringe NBA guys such as Lazar are on the cusp of being able to earn millions - yeah - I think it's okay for them to depart MU early and focus on high level skill training in advance of their "interviews" with the various NBA teams via their tryouts/individual workouts in advance of the draft.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
Which shows the idiocy of Larry's thinking.  The college experience is intended to help thrust young adults toward their dream and passion in life.  For 99.9% of high major basketball players, that dream is to develop themselves into an NBA caliber player, or play internationally and earn their living that way.  When fringe NBA guys such as Lazar are on the cusp of being able to earn millions - yeah - I think it's okay for them to depart MU early and focus on high level skill training in advance of their "interviews" with the various NBA teams via their tryouts/individual workouts in advance of the draft.

I have no trouble with students (athletes or not) leaving school without a degree when given the chance to begin a career doing something they love. There will be time to go back and earn a diploma.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
You and Sultan seem to be closer on Newbill's back story. From my view, it seemed that there was always a backstory when Monarch was involved, whether true or not.

That is a damn good observation - one I never thought of beforehand.  I never quite understood those who thought it was an injustice that he was let go.  Commit and NCAA violation and then lie about it?

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
Hello Scoopers, glad to see you guys still have love for Dj. The past is the past, and as they say. "what don't kill you, should only make you stronger". This young man has defied the odds of a lot of inner city poverty stricken, drug/crime infested communities with dysfunctional families. If you guys saw the 20/20 piece they did on Strawberry Mansion High School. It was labeled one of the worst schools in the country along with the community. That didn't happen over night. But with a lot prayer, hard work, determination, and perseverance. This young man took the hand he was dealt and turned it into getting a college degree and having a very good college basketball playing career. The fact of the matter is this, DJ committed to Marquette the same night that West Virginia's Coach Bob Huggins offered him. He then Signed the NLI during the April signing period. Then a week before he was to leave for MU, Scott Monarch called me and stated that Buzz felt that Dj should Find another school because he wants to go in a different direction. Prep school was never an option for this kid. We were hurt but we moved on. Life is full of drastic changes, but it's not about what happens. It all about how you handle it. I must say Dj handled it like a knocked down boxer only to rise up and claim the championship belt. folks can speculate all the want about how it all went down. Buzz and for that matter not one person from MU has ever reached out to Dj, even until this very day to tell him that news. I had to bear the burden of telling a kid that his dream school reneged on their offer. That's life, and He understand that God has always been in control. We will always contemplate the what if. Dj could have helped them go to a final four or a national championship or helped MU lose every game. We will never know. But at the end of the day, this kid elevated his social status, from hood hoopster to a college graduate and student athlete...... God is Great...... and the saga continues.......... Blessings Philly Coach   

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »
Hello Scoopers, glad to see you guys still have love for Dj. The past is the past, and as they say. "what don't kill you, should only make you stronger". This young man has defied the odds of a lot of inner city poverty stricken, drug/crime infested communities with dysfunctional families. If you guys saw the 20/20 piece they did on Strawberry Mansion High School. It was labeled one of the worst schools in the country along with the community. That didn't happen over night. But with a lot prayer, hard work, determination, and perseverance. This young man took the hand he was dealt and turned it into getting a college degree and having a very good college basketball playing career. The fact of the matter is this, DJ committed to Marquette the same night that West Virginia's Coach Bob Huggins offered him. He then Signed the NLI during the April signing period. Then a week before he was to leave for MU, Scott Monarch called me and stated that Buzz felt that Dj should Find another school because he wants to go in a different direction. Prep school was never an option for this kid. We were hurt but we moved on. Life is full of drastic changes, but it's not about what happens. It all about how you handle it. I must say Dj handled it like a knocked down boxer only to rise up and claim the championship belt. folks can speculate all the want about how it all went down. Buzz and for that matter not one person from MU has ever reached out to Dj, even until this very day to tell him that news. I had to bear the burden of telling a kid that his dream school reneged on their offer. That's life, and He understand that God has always been in control. We will always contemplate the what if. Dj could have helped them go to a final four or a national championship or helped MU lose every game. We will never know. But at the end of the day, this kid elevated his social status, from hood hoopster to a college graduate and student athlete...... God is Great...... and the saga continues.......... Blessings Philly Coach   

Classic example of a kid using basketball to better his situation. Sorry it didn't work out for him at MU, he's clearly a gifted scorer, hope he gets paid to play either here or overseas for a long time.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
Yo Bro, someone's backyard is another's front yard. Glad DJ made the most of his opportunity. Still woulda loved seein' him wear the Warrior uni. Y'all got to experience the real Buzz, up close and personal, long before the rest of us. Hope Bumstead didn't let the door hit him where the good Lord split him, a'ina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
Great story. Glad to see a kid define his goals, stick to them through adversity and make something of himself.

Those kind of tales should be more publicized

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
Week DJ gets to have his revenge tomorrow. Best of luck to him. Hope he drops 40 on the hillbilly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »

Many folks here knew this, many others were in complete denial.  DJ got screwed, which is a shame.  For the staff not to talk to DJ directly is terrible, cowardly and unsurprising. 

An article today about DJ and the former coach at Penn Live. Would have loved to have Buzz answer a question or two on it.   

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/dj_newbills_journey_to_penn_st.html

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2014, 12:06:13 PM »

Thanks for again setting the story straight Philly Coach.   Most of us know you have no reason to put any "spin" on the story, as did Buzz/MU to cover their a$$ for doing DJ dirty.

Great to see DJ is averaging 25ppg on 49% from the Field, and 50% shooting from 3 point line and 82% from the FT line.  Looks like he will have a bright future in front of him whether in the NBA or elsewhere.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
Thanks for again setting the story straight Philly Coach.   Most of us know you have no reason to put any "spin" on the story, as did Buzz/MU to cover their a$$ for doing DJ dirty.

Ners, I am 100% confident that the multiple people I have talked to about this know more about this than you do.  These include people connected to the basketball program that don't have any reason to protect Buzz.  (Like, the same people who told me about Mayo's academic issues long before you knew about it.)

So be careful about who you believe here.  I'm not saying you should automatically believe what I am saying here, but wholeheartedly endorsing the word of this guy is probably not a smart move on your part.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »

Ners, I am 100% confident that the multiple people I have talked to about this know more about this than you do.  These include people connected to the basketball program that don't have any reason to protect Buzz.  (Like, the same people who told me about Mayo's academic issues long before you knew about it.)

So be careful about who you believe here.  I'm not saying you should automatically believe what I am saying here, but wholeheartedly endorsing the word of this guy is probably not a smart move on your part.

And where did those multiple people get their information from?  You don't think Buzz had a story ready to spin/sell to those when this went down?

What's in it for Newbill's former coach and mentor to lie about the deal?  Why as a kid would you sign an NLI with an option that said "Hey, we may want to stash you at a prep school for a year," when other high major programs were offering?

And you give me crap at times for the conspiracy theories I float? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
As I have said before, Buzz was hardly blameless for this clusterf*ck. 

Again, you and Chicos can choose to believe me...or not. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
Fact: Not a single person here - including PhillyCoach and others' "inside" sources - know what was said between Buzz and Newbill.
You're all relying on second- (or third or fourth) hand accounts given to you by people who have plenty of motive to be less than completely honest.