[Today at 02:39:15 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record  (Read 44102 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
In Buzz's mind he was leaving as soon as the right program opened up.  Trading Newbill for Jamil Wilson got him an elite 8, of which, was a resume booster for him to boost his value as a head coach.  Selfish, yes, but that's what Buzz was.  In that mindset, it makes all the sense in the world to do what he did. 
Buzz not only knew that trading Newbill for Wilson would get him to the Elite 8 he also knew that Newbill would go to Southern Miss and then transfer to Penn State.  Buzz knew not only that he would leave but that it would be for VT and that VT would then play Penn State in December of 2014 giving him a chance to do a total head trip on poor DJ.  Buzz knows the final score of the upcoming Penn State game as he does all games on VT's schedule through the 2018 season.  After that he is not completely sure.  Strange, yes, but that's what Buzz was and is. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
There are a lot of posts here indicating that other posters are mistaken in one belief or other regarding Newbill, or inaccurate as to some conclusion, etc. that cause one to believe that other posters know all the details. They are both long gone, why doesn't somebody who purportedly knows all the facts just tell the story?

The story isn't mine to tell. And as it hasn't been shared on a free site previously, I won't breach the trust of the person that shared it with me.

That said, when someone is purporting a false narrative, I will call it out as such.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
I wonder how much moral outrage there would be if Newbill were a 9th man . I suspect it would be significantly less.

As annoying as Chico's may be, at least he's been consistent on this issue. The large majority around here supported Buzz back when Newbill got cut loose.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
I wonder how much moral outrage there would be if Newbill were a 9th man . I suspect it would be significantly less.

As annoying as Chico's may be, at least he's been consistent on this issue. The large majority around here supported Buzz back when Newbill got cut loose.

There shouldn't be any outrage.  We went to the elite 8, because we sent Newbill packing.  I'll take that over and over again. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »
Except Newbill wasn't "sent packing."  You can't bend the truth regardless of your justification.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
Except Newbill wasn't "sent packing."  You can't bend the truth regardless of your justification.

Kind of a semantical argument, no?
The kid wanted to come to MU, signed a letter of intent to come to MU and was planning to come to MU, only to be told that he was no longer wanted and MU would not honor his NLI. He wasn't "sent" anywhere because he never actually made it into campus.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:33:21 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
There are a lot of posts here indicating that other posters are mistaken in one belief or other regarding Newbill, or inaccurate as to some conclusion, etc. that cause one to believe that other posters know all the details. They are both long gone, why doesn't somebody who purportedly knows all the facts just tell the story?

"I know something you don't know" is a favorite game of some around here.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »
"I know something you don't know" is a favorite game of some around here.
Typically played by those who have nothing intelligent to offer ....

Sincerely,

Sultan and His DJ Newbill Action Figure Collection

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
No Pakuni. My point is more to the story than that. You can say I'm playing a game. But im not. I don't pretend to know things that I don't know.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
No Pakuni. My point is more to the story than that. You can say I'm playing a game. But im not. I don't pretend to know things that I don't know.

But really, there isn't more to the story. Whatever side discussions/deals/arrangement may have been made between the coaching staff and Newbill/his people, it still comes down to the fact he signed a letter of intent and MU declined to honor it.

I don't know if you're pretending something or not, because you often refuse to say what you claim to know ... just that you know something.
And yeah, it's a game, and you're not the only one to play it.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »
Mu82 nailed it,that is exactly how I feel about Crean,Buzz et al. Agnostic

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
Believe what you want to believe Pakuni.  I am simply saying that Buzz made mistakes but was not dishonest with Newbill.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
Believe what you want to believe Pakuni.  I am simply saying that Buzz made mistakes but was not dishonest with Newbill.

When did ever I say he was dishonest with Newbill?
Christ, this doesn't have to be so difficult.
Newbill signed a letter of intent. MU chose not to honor it.
It's a simple story that people on both sides are trying to make more complicated than it need be with their claims of secret side deals and trades.

edit: Though, I have to add, I find it utterly laughable that you think you know enough about the situation - including, apparently, what was said between Buzz and Newbill - that you can say with certainty that no one was dishonest. You got these guys bugged or something?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:01:28 PM by Pakuni »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »

You are wrong. Simple as that.

Okay - Let's hear your version and the source of the information.  Additionally, Brew pointed out it was posted on a free site elsewhere, yet doesn't link where it was posted and instead chooses to remain anonymous about the details yet they've been made "public" elsewhere? 

You lose credibility when you make statements that indicate you know what happened, then don't support your position with details of what did happen.  Hell you don't even need to reveal the source, but if it is IWB (your usual source of information) - Well, he gets some bad information on occasion too.  #donedeal?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
IWB isn't my usual source of information.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
It's a simple story that people on both sides are trying to make more complicated than it need be with their claims of secret side deals and trades.

It's being made complicated because people are addressing Buzz's motivations and how Newbill was "ditched."  I will just say this as my final statement.  Newbill knew that not coming to the MU campus was potentially an option when he signed his NLI.

You can choose to believe that...or not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »

edit: Though, I have to add, I find it utterly laughable that you think you know enough about the situation - including, apparently, what was said between Buzz and Newbill - that you can say with certainty that no one was dishonest. You got these guys bugged or something?

So long ago I can't remember, but wasn't the deal supposed to be that DJ knew that MU might want him to go to a prep school if Jamil transferred in and that's why he never applied to MU? He declined, chose Southern Miss instead.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Okay - Let's hear your version and the source of the information.  Additionally, Brew pointed out it was posted on a free site elsewhere, yet doesn't link where it was posted and instead chooses to remain anonymous about the details yet they've been made "public" elsewhere? 

You lose credibility when you make statements that indicate you know what happened, then don't support your position with details of what did happen.  Hell you don't even need to reveal the source, but if it is IWB (your usual source of information) - Well, he gets some bad information on occasion too.  #donedeal?

BTW, talk about losing credibility.  Didn't you say that you would "voluntarily go away if the majority of the board votes me off."  And the majority voted "yes," yet here you are.

Just like the "moratoriums" you promised last year.  Not worth the keyboard they were typed with I guess.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
So long ago I can't remember, but wasn't the deal supposed to be that DJ knew that MU might want him to go to a prep school if Jamil transferred in and that's why he never applied to MU? He declined, chose Southern Miss instead.

This was the PR spin that was floated by the MU camp that a few in this thread are choosing to latch onto as Truth...(as in DJ knew there may be a chance not coming to MU was an option when he signed his NLI.)  The truth is MU never once said anything to DJ or his camp anything about Prep School.

What 3-4 star kid signs an NLI with program with an out clause, thereby eliminating his ability to continue to entertain offers from other programs and essentially put him at risk of not being able to get into one of those programs at a later time in the event the original program decides they no longer want him?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »

BTW, talk about losing credibility.  Didn't you say that you would "voluntarily go away if the majority of the board votes me off."  And the majority voted "yes," yet here you are.

Just like the "moratoriums" you promised last year.  Not worth the keyboard they were typed with I guess.
Kind of like you Sultan who "went on vacation" when Buzz totally FUBARED last season going 17-15 and not getting any tourney invite. Then when Buzz was given his powder, you made sure to start posting your support of Wojo while still lavishly praising Buzz. A true politician. Moratoriums are worthless anyhow, because they are frequently broken. I am guessing Ners still has not realized he was voted off.

By the way, wasn't the voting open to Nov. 25? Can't remember and too lazy to check. If it is Nov. 25, then you have a credibility problem based on your above statement. But of course, Sultan, you frequently shoot your mouth when you do not have all the facts, which is why so many desperately wait for it to happen again.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »

It's being made complicated because people are addressing Buzz's motivations and how Newbill was "ditched."  I will just say this as my final statement.  Newbill knew that not coming to the MU campus was potentially an option when he signed his NLI.

You can choose to believe that...or not.

Give Sultan a few more years to tell us the Newbill story.  I mean, it's has been close to about 30 years ago and now  all of these women are coming out against Bill Cosby saying he raped them back in the day.   Perhaps Sultan is still in "sitting in the corner of the shower phase" of this whole Newbill story.  Let him heal before he reopens his wounds or let the statute of limitations expire at least. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
Give Sultan a few more years to tell us the Newbill story.  I mean, it's has been close to about 30 years ago and now  all of these women are coming out against Bill Cosby saying he raped them back in the day.   Perhaps Sultan is still in "sitting in the corner of the shower phase" of this whole Newbill story.  Let him heal before he reopens his wounds or let the statute of limitations expire at least. 

I don't know if making fun of potential rape victims is the best way to establish your credibility. Kind of has the opposite effect in fact.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
Most would agree, the Newbill exit was to make room for Jamal Wilson.  While Newbill appears to be an awesome player Jamal was indispensible for a sweet sixteen and elite eight.  I wouldn't trade Newill for Jamal.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »
I don't know if making fun of potential rape victims is the best way to establish your credibility. Kind of has the opposite effect in fact.

Not sure what you're talking about.  I wasn't making fun of any of the victims, nor was that the intent.  Clearly, Sultan is the butt of the joke for some crazy story he can't tell us about DJ Newbill.  

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
Why is it the topics about our BBall alumni get sent to the superbar but hey if it's about a former recruit that never even set foot on campus then by all means that belongs in the hanging at the Al page. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback