[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record  (Read 44100 times)

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
Re: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »

That isn't entirely accurate.  But in your short time here I don't think accuracy is your strong suit.

What isn't accurate about it?  Cite some facts please. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
LOL....a game 10+ years ago and people are still.....

Does this mean you are off of your not discussing Crean on Scoop hiatus, Jimmytelevision?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Agreed. However, one side was a grown adult man making millions to run a top level college basketball program and the other side was a high school senior, right?

If Newbill's name was LeBron James, you think Marquette and Buzz would have ensured that all paperwork got done in the proper manner? To me, that was a manufactured excuse for ulterior, and not so secretive, motives.

Let's not pretend like Buzz didn't know exactly what he was doing; again, it is a stale and old issue and it need not be rehashed again. I was just stating that it was one of the first examples of Buzz's true personality.

Buzz is what he is and we were happy to live with it when winning. We just found out the downside to living with it when he slipped out the door in the middle of the night.

Some people knew about the trash long before he slipped out the door in the middle night, they were warned, people just didn't want to listen.  Just win baby......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »
What isn't accurate about it?  Cite some facts please. 

Buzz wasn't looking to get out at that point.  The Newbill / Jamil issue wasn't a trade.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
I'm not sure any incident in Buzz's tenure here is more misunderstood than DJ Newbill's recruitment.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »

Buzz wasn't looking to get out at that point.  The Newbill / Jamil issue wasn't a trade.

Buzz was looking to get out to go to Oklahoma as early as 2011 until the sexual assault accusations came to the forefront.  I suggest you update yourself and read the Paint touches article by Adrei Greska about Buzz Williams.

"Trade" - Hmm..... inability to read figures of speech?  Jamil Wilson was given a scholarship after Newbill had signed, which put us over the limit.  Wilson, being taller, more seasoned as a junior, and of an elite, athletic build, fit a need for MU.  He'd be an impact player right away, whereas Newbill was just another freshman guard on a team with a guard surplus.  Adding Wilson would make this team much more competitive and give us a better chance to compete in the tournament.  Newbill got the short end of the stick and was let go.  

Buzz made the play that would make him look better to programs looking for a new coach.  Integrity was sacrificed for personal gain.  Of course, it didn't play out as he expected.  Sexual assault accusations tainted him pretty badly, which is why he ended up going to VaTech.  Everyone was surprised as to why he would go to an inferior program, but it was the smart play.  You have a program that has zero bball tradition that will gamble on someone with question marks like Buzz.  They play in a Power 5 conference which gives him the media attention he craves, and the program can't get any worse.  It's a place where, if he succeeds turning a turd into a golden nugget, he'll be one of the most sought after coaches for the next big opening.  It's been his plan all along as evidenced by the Oklahoma job.  

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:24:22 AM by brewcity77 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
Agreed. However, one side was a grown adult man making millions to run a top level college basketball program and the other side was a high school senior, right?

If Newbill's name was LeBron James, you think Marquette and Buzz would have ensured that all paperwork got done in the proper manner? To me, that was a manufactured excuse for ulterior, and not so secretive, motives.

Let's not pretend like Buzz didn't know exactly what he was doing; again, it is a stale and old issue and it need not be rehashed again. I was just stating that it was one of the first examples of Buzz's true personality.

Buzz is what he is and we were happy to live with it when winning. We just found out the downside to living with it when he slipped out the door in the middle of the night.
+1 gazillion
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
Sexual assault accusations tainted him pretty badly, which is why he ended up going to VaTech.  Everyone was surprised as to why he would go to an inferior program, but it was the smart play.  You have a program that has zero bball tradition that will gamble on someone with question marks like Buzz.  They play in a Power 5 conference which gives him the media attention he craves, and the program can't get any worse.  It's a place where, if he succeeds turning a turd into a golden nugget, he'll be one of the most sought after coaches for the next big opening.  It's been his plan all along as evidenced by the Oklahoma job.  

Much of this is true, but there are a slew of programs that will never touch him and there are reasons why.  Those that want to win and don't care about the risks, will go for it.  There are always those types of schools.  I expect he will do well at Va Tech, not great, but well.  The administration there isn't pay attention and they have to figure out how to handle the football issues if Beamer doesn't retire this year (how Ohio State is 6th in the country in football after losing to this year's Va. Tech is amazing).  It's football all the time and they have to get that going in the right direction.  He will be an afterthought for his administration and should be able to get to about 7th or 8th place by year 4.  Then he can pull the next maneuver at the next school where he lands that is desperate for a rebuild and willing to pay attention to something else.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
Much of this is true, but there are a slew of programs that will never touch him and there are reasons why.  Those that want to win and don't care about the risks, will go for it.  There are always those types of schools.  I expect he will do well at Va Tech, not great, but well.  The administration there isn't pay attention and they have to figure out how to handle the football issues if Beamer doesn't retire this year (how Ohio State is 6th in the country in football after losing to this year's Va. Tech is amazing).  It's football all the time and they have to get that going in the right direction.  He will be an afterthought for his administration and should be able to get to about 7th or 8th place by year 4.  Then he can pull the next maneuver at the next school where he lands that is desperate for a rebuild and willing to pay attention to something else.

All Buzz needs is one run to at least the Sweet 16 at VT and he'll be a top candidate for a much more highly sought after D1 job.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Bumstead can probably get T-Cubed's gig when he gets chit canned, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
Some people knew about the trash long before he slipped out the door in the middle night, they were warned, people just didn't want to listen.  Just win baby......

Sounds kinda like Crean, aina?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
All Buzz needs is one run to at least the Sweet 16 at VT and he'll be a top candidate for a much more highly sought after D1 job.

100% agreed.  I'm just saying there are a number of programs that won't touch him with a ten foot pole.  There are a number of others that will for any number of reasons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »
Does this mean you are off of your not discussing Crean on Scoop hiatus, Jimmytelevision?

It takes a real man to run when the going gets tough.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
"Trade" - Hmm..... inability to read figures of speech?  Jamil Wilson was given a scholarship after Newbill had signed, which put us over the limit.  Wilson, being taller, more seasoned as a junior, and of an elite, athletic build, fit a need for MU.  He'd be an impact player right away, whereas Newbill was just another freshman guard on a team with a guard surplus.  Adding Wilson would make this team much more competitive and give us a better chance to compete in the tournament.  Newbill got the short end of the stick and was let go.  

Not going into details, but suffice to say you don't have the whole story.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
It strikes me that this thread simply confirms that we would all love to see DJ Newbill stomp Buzz at Va Tech. I hope he does. I thought he got a raw deal, whether I know the whole story or not. Plus, I want to see everyone stomp Buzz. I am vindictive like that, which is an admitted personality flaw of mine. So, I'll own it and wish Buzz the worst.

The rest is fluff. The guy (ie Buzz) has a schtick and he plays it well. Once he gets found out at Va Tech, or the flames get too high, he'll bail out for some other, no expectation rebuilding job. Good riddance to him.

In other news, I am glad to see DJ Newbill do well. That is not because it is a shot against Buzz or because of any other reason other than I always liked his attitude towards Marquette. I remember watching a video of him, where he was training for college, and he seemed so genuinely excited to be attending Marquette. Regardless of whose fault it was, I respect a kid that wanted to join the family but couldn't, and I will always wish him well.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »

Not going into details, but suffice to say you don't have the whole story.

The rest of the details are essentially meaningless.  Buzz has a history of ditching recruits for better players.  We came out on the better end with an elite 8 appearance.  End of story.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
The rest of the details are essentially meaningless.  Buzz has a history of ditching recruits for better players.  We came out on the better end with an elite 8 appearance.  End of story. 

He wasn't ditched.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
The rest of the details are essentially meaningless.  Buzz has a history of ditching recruits for better players.  We came out on the better end with an elite 8 appearance.  End of story.  

Except the story you're telling isn't at all accurate.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
There are a lot of posts here indicating that other posters are mistaken in one belief or other regarding Newbill, or inaccurate as to some conclusion, etc. that cause one to believe that other posters know all the details. They are both long gone, why doesn't somebody who purportedly knows all the facts just tell the story?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »
There are a lot of posts here indicating that other posters are mistaken in one belief or other regarding Newbill, or inaccurate as to some conclusion, etc. that cause one to believe that other posters know all the details. They are both long gone, why doesn't somebody who purportedly knows all the facts just tell the story?

Exactly. This whole, I know something you don't type of thing is super annoying. Just tell the story.
Bring back FFP!!!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
Exactly. This whole, I know something you don't type of thing is super annoying. Just tell the story.

There is nothing more to the story. Buzz dropped Newbill for Jamil.  A few MU Insider's would like for people to believe differently, and have offered "explanations" for how it wasn't an outright "trade."  Yet those sources got their information form the same PR spin zone that made the decision.

Some may say the staff discussed a possible prep school year with Newbill as the "excuse," PR spin, yet that was NEVER discussed with the Newbill camp.  DJ was shocked and disappointed to not be able to come to MU.  End of story.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
Welcome back.   Now, let us have somebody walk us through the story from beginning to end.   Maybe even two somebodies, so we can see where the conflicts are and judge for ourselves.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »
There is nothing more to the story. Buzz dropped Newbill for Jamil.  A few MU Insider's would like for people to believe differently, and have offered "explanations" for how it wasn't an outright "trade."  Yet those sources got their information form the same PR spin zone that made the decision.

Some may say the staff discussed a possible prep school year with Newbill as the "excuse," PR spin, yet that was NEVER discussed with the Newbill camp.  DJ was shocked and disappointed to not be able to come to MU.  End of story.

You are wrong. Simple as that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »
It strikes me that this thread simply confirms that we would all love to see DJ Newbill stomp Buzz at Va Tech.

I am completely agnostic on this.

Buzz built a very nice program at Marquette and gave me a lot of cheer-worthy moments. As a consumer, I was thoroughly entertained for most of his six seasons. And all the slimy things he did or supposedly did or thought about doing ... well, I don't see how they affect me or mine in the least. Buzz had a very poor final season and I'm glad he's gone because he clearly had reached a point where a split was necessary.

I was grateful for all Crean did, I am grateful for all Buzz did. And one day, after he leaves, I will be grateful for Wojo's contributions. Doesn't mean I can't poke fun at one and all, which I do often.

Newbill? Stuff happens. Has everybody seen the lists of transfers? There are hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds every year in college hoops. Heck, Wojo already has dumped a kid who committed to him. It appears Newbill has moved on nicely and made something of himself as a basketball player. I'm glad things worked out for him. Maybe being a fifth-year senior will make all the difference for him because he needed that extra season to mature as a player. Who knows?

Penn State vs. Virginia Tech? Unless it somehow affects Marquette's seeding for the 2015 NCAA tournament - ha! - I have no interest in it. I won't even know who won or lost if I don't see the score on Scoop. I appreciate how others might care, however. Whatever floats everybody's boat.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback