[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record  (Read 44230 times)

79Warrior

• All American
In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »

Scored 83 points in three games in Charleston Classic

willie warrior

• All American
Re: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
Another one of Burt's f-ups.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
He would have graduated already if he stayed at MU, let it go.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
Superbar. at best.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:23:15 PM »
Wonder if Newbill has December 3rd circled on his calendar.

Penn State home versus Virginia Tech.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »
Scored 83 points in three games in Charleston Classic

Did he play any defense? 

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 11:23:03 PM »
Did he play any defense? 

Im sure it was better than Carlinos defense....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »
Not sure what about this year ending will be better. No more debates over Derrick's worth, or no more trolling DJ Newbill discussions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »
A decision made 5 years ago and people are still doing the Buzz-hater slurp over it.    I don't disagree that Buzz handled it poorly.   But MU did fine without him until last year, and even if he had come to MU, there is no guarantee he would have stayed, buried behind Vander.   Ah, well, people still remember Damian Saunders, too.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:46 AM »
How many paint touches?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »
A decision made 5 years ago and people are still doing the Buzz-hater slurp over it.    I don't disagree that Buzz handled it poorly.   But MU did fine without him until last year, and even if he had come to MU, there is no guarantee he would have stayed, buried behind Vander.   Ah, well, people still remember Damian Saunders, too.

Anxiously awaiting the Gabe Levin Watch

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »
1. I think it is interesting and relevant to see what players formerly associated with Marquette are doing and I appreciate the updates.

2. The Newbill situation was the first time we saw the wolf under Buzz's sheepskin. Many chose to keep their eyes closed (myself included, I think), but we had a taste then of what loyalty meant to Coach Williams.

3. The hypothetical situations put forth (what might have been) are fun, but rarely, if ever, account for all of the variables associated with what might have occurred. They are fantasy, at best.

4. I hope Newbill stomps Virginia Tech when they play.

NBBomber

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »
Couldn't agree more on all 4 MUCam. I love getting updates like these. Keep em coming.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:57:47 AM »
Do you thnk Edmund Saunders was less of a big deal beacuse we all knew Crean was a piece of crap?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »

LOL....a game 10+ years ago and people are still.....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
I'd like to point out that Newbill is the leading score on a pretty bad Penn State team over the last couple of years.  I agree that the whole situation was shady and poorly handled (most on MU side, but Newbill's side as well), but who is Newbill replacing?  Does he get minutes on any of Buzz's teams prior to last year?  Buzz doesn't play freshmen.

I get that its an opportunity to pee on Buzz's grave and I'm all for that, but it's not a legitimate basketball discussion.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
2. The Newbill situation was the first time we saw the wolf under Buzz's sheepskin. Many chose to keep their eyes closed (myself included, I think), but we had a taste then of what loyalty meant to Coach Williams.

I don't like defending our former coach, but I'm really tired of this Newbill sh*t. There was fault on both sides.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 09:14:20 AM »
1. I think it is interesting and relevant to see what players formerly associated with Marquette are doing and I appreciate the updates.

3. The hypothetical situations put forth (what might have been) are fun, but rarely, if ever, account for all of the variables associated with what might have occurred. They are fantasy, at best.

4. I hope Newbill stomps Virginia Tech when they play.

+1 all around.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
Buzz sacrificed the long term for the short term by "removing" Newbill for Jamil Wilson.  It was the correct decision as the move led us to an Elite 8.  Without Wilson, that doesn't happen.  Newbill may have been the catalyst last year to get into the NCAA tourney but as what?  A bubble team?  That team's ceiling would have been round of 32 and that is being kind.   

No thanks. 

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
There was fault on both sides.

Agreed. However, one side was a grown adult man making millions to run a top level college basketball program and the other side was a high school senior, right?

If Newbill's name was LeBron James, you think Marquette and Buzz would have ensured that all paperwork got done in the proper manner? To me, that was a manufactured excuse for ulterior, and not so secretive, motives.

Let's not pretend like Buzz didn't know exactly what he was doing; again, it is a stale and old issue and it need not be rehashed again. I was just stating that it was one of the first examples of Buzz's true personality.

Buzz is what he is and we were happy to live with it when winning. We just found out the downside to living with it when he slipped out the door in the middle of the night.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
NM

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
Agreed. However, one side was a grown adult man making millions to run a top level college basketball program and the other side was a high school senior, right?

If Newbill's name was LeBron James, you think Marquette and Buzz would have ensured that all paperwork got done in the proper manner? To me, that was a manufactured excuse for ulterior, and not so secretive, motives.

Let's not pretend like Buzz didn't know exactly what he was doing; again, it is a stale and old issue and it need not be rehashed again. I was just stating that it was one of the first examples of Buzz's true personality.

Buzz is what he is and we were happy to live with it when winning. We just found out the downside to living with it when he slipped out the door in the middle of the night.

There was more to the story than the whole application issue.  Let's just say that Newbill's side knew that there could be different outcomes beforehand.  That being said, it was dumb of Buzz to do what he did.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:58:57 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »

There was more to the story than the whole application issue.  Let's just say that Newbill's side knew that there were different outcomes beforehand.  That being said, it was dumb of Buzz to do what he did.

In Buzz's mind he was leaving as soon as the right program opened up.  Trading Newbill for Jamil Wilson got him an elite 8, of which, was a resume booster for him to boost his value as a head coach.  Selfish, yes, but that's what Buzz was.  In that mindset, it makes all the sense in the world to do what he did. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
There was more to the story than the whole application issue.  Let's just say that Newbill's side knew that there could be different outcomes beforehand.  That being said, it was dumb of Buzz to do what he did.

Bingo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
In Buzz's mind he was leaving as soon as the right program opened up.  Trading Newbill for Jamil Wilson got him an elite 8, of which, was a resume booster for him to boost his value as a head coach.  Selfish, yes, but that's what Buzz was.  In that mindset, it makes all the sense in the world to do what he did. 

That isn't entirely accurate.  But in your short time here I don't think accuracy is your strong suit.

feedback