[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: PLEASE SUPPORT THESE GUYS  (Read 9773 times)

Daniel

• All American
Re: PLEASE SUPPORT THESE GUYS
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
BS! I'm a Packer season ticket holder and they get booed periodically. Packer fans are known as the most loyal fans there are. It happens. It's high major basketball, not grade school. It is nothing like applauding when an opponent gets hurt  ::)

If you want to boo your Packerss who get paid millions of dollars a year for doing their job (yes it's their job) go ahead I guess.  Our team is made up of students, who are compensated with scholarships, but are students.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
Fans boo the home team all the time. It is your right to do that when you pay for your ticket. Fans get frustrated and if they want to voice their displeasure by booing, then so be it. To say they're fair weather fans is false imo. I think it shows they're passionate.

The purpose of fans at a game is to support the team. They cheer them on and heckle the opponents. What possible benefit could there be to booing your own team? Seems like you are just shooting yourself in the foot. If your team is struggling, that's when they need your cheers the most.

As Daniel pointed out, I think there is a difference between booing professionals and booing student athletes. I agree it's not as bad as cheering an opponents injury (Fing auburn fans) but I don't think it is right.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
The purpose of fans at a game is to support the team. They cheer them on and heckle the opponents. What possible benefit could there be to booing your own team? Seems like you are just shooting yourself in the foot. If your team is struggling, that's when they need your cheers the most.

As Daniel pointed out, I think there is a difference between booing professionals and booing student athletes. I agree it's not as bad as cheering an opponents injury (Fing auburn fans) but I don't think it is right.

I'm not even saying that I boo. I'm just saying I have no issue if you want to, as you paid your money for your ticket and if you don't like what your seeing, more power to you. I am not the moral police and neither is anyone else on this board.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »

So let me ask for discussion sake...does it change things when college players start getting paid and are professionals? Media critique college players pretty thoroughly today like they are pros, how is that different for fans in the future?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 05:34:14 PM »
1.  You don't boo your team. Ever.

But what about all those time the home team's fans started booing their team and suddenly you can see in their eyes..."oh, you want us to win, you crazy fans, why didn't you say so" then they go on a 30-0 run and win the game.

It happens all the time, right. How else are the players supposed to know what to do unless the fans of superior intelligence convey it to them in the form of booing?

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »

YES!  YES!  YES!  Let's stand up and clap our hands for these kids not giving enough effort.  Didn't Pavlov teach you anything?  How about we all stand up and start singing Kumbaya.  Maybe we will get back in transition then. 

Juan Andersen isn't playing defense my lord...... Kumbaya
Matt Carlino didn't hustle back my lord....... Kumbaya
Steve Taylor didn't box out my lord ......... Kumbaya

Nooooo One Hustles my lord ........ Kumbaya

Everybody Stand Up and Cheer !!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
Branded!

Death on call

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
How cute and Pollyanna. Of course these guys aren't pros, but that doesn't mean the performance yesterday wasn't abysmal. We can support them and be critical at the same time.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
Hang on… Help is on the Way. They'll be there as fast as they can!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »
Sorry, but the negativity of some people, especially when targeting these "kids" (as you like to use the quotes) that are giving their all representing you disgusts me. I think any fan that boos has no business calling themselves a fan and anyone that needs to tear these guys down on an internet message board comes across as the epitome of fair-weather. It's not just you personally, but anyone that can't support our team in the tough times too. If you just want to win all the time, go cheer for Duke or Kentucky or the Yankees.

YNWA

Yanks have not been doing that great either.
Life Long Yankee Fan

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
I'm not even saying that I boo. I'm just saying I have no issue if you want to, as you paid your money for your ticket and if you don't like what your seeing, more power to you. I am not the moral police and neither is anyone else on this board.

You pay for a ticket to watch the game. That doesn't give you an unspoken right to deride the people paying said game. Just because you spent a few bucks doesn't give carte blanche to be a jerk.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »
Yeah. It is excusable. They are still kids and they are representing Marquette. As bad as you think you feel, I am positive they feel 1,000 times worse, and their coach even worse than that. Winning is a process. It will take time. And if you can't cheer for these kids when times are rough, you don't deserve to cheer for them when they win.

What a mature viewpoint as to a Selfish one wrapped in hollow words!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
You pay for a ticket to watch the game. That doesn't give you an unspoken right to deride the people paying said game. Just because you spent a few bucks doesn't give carte blanche to be a jerk.

I disagree. You can boo till your lungs explode if you don't like what you see. Again, I'm not saying I do this, but I understand people who do. They pay big bucks and if they feel like their team is giving a lackluster effort, I can understand their frustration. Right or wrong, it is what it is. Why boo or heckle the opposing teams players then? They are college kids too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »
I disagree. You can boo till your lungs explode if you don't like what you see. Again, I'm not saying I do this, but I understand people who do. They pay big bucks and if they feel like their team is giving a lackluster effort, I can understand their frustration. Right or wrong, it is what it is. Why boo or heckle the opposing teams players then? They are college kids too.

You are wrong.  As brew said, you don't have an "unspoken right" to do anything at a sporting event. MU can boot you from the game if you "boo til your lungs explode" if they wish.   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »

MU can boot you from the game if you "boo til your lungs explode" if they wish.   

I'm thinking MU would do well this year by not evicting any of their few paying customers...

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
I am supporting this team, win or lose, far greater than last year's. This is a bump in the road in the big picture IMO. Better things down the road.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

You are wrong.  As brew said, you don't have an "unspoken right" to do anything at a sporting event. MU can boot you from the game if you "boo til your lungs explode" if they wish.   

Clearly, you don't work in customer service or marketing. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
Is Ellisium a new poster or an identity changer.  Or a badger troll?

Just trying to keep the players straight.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »

Identity changer.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »

Born an MU fan.  Proponent of critical analysis for the betterment of society.  Kin of the Dark One

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
I won't be booing the team. And I'll gladly attend most games. But I do think it's my right to be critical of poor performance with most of that criticism directed at the head coach. It's Wojo's responsibility to have the team ready to play.  And he gets huge money to make sure that a very well funded program succeeds. I've seen in other threads that these aren't 'his' recruits. That's an excuse.  We have loads of talented players. Maybe not enough to compete against tOSU right now. No issues on my part with that.  But with Omaha?  Spare me.  So here's the charge.  In Wojo's own words, 'Win every day.'

I'd suggest tonight might be a good time to start. Then if we see some growth in Orlando win or lose,  all good.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »
I am supporting this team, win or lose, far greater than last year's. This is a bump in the road in the big picture IMO. Better things down the road.

Goose, I agree.
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

MikeDeane'sdarkglasses.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
I don't boo MU BB  even from the friendly confines of my own home.
And I'm not allowed to swear out loud either

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
So let me ask for discussion sake...does it change things when college players start getting paid and are professionals? Media critique college players pretty thoroughly today like they are pros, how is that different for fans in the future?

A difficult and interesting question. I say no. I don't think student atheltes will ever make more than a stipend. I wouldn't consider them professionals, closer to para-professionals. Of course I could be completely wrong on this. I also don't boo my own professional teams. But am more accepting of those who do.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback