[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UNO Autopsy Stats  (Read 7560 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: UNO Autopsy Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »
NJIT will try to play like UNO, though they are less experienced. Georgia Tech is a matchup nightmare. Lose that and we probably go 1-2 in Orlando. Just can't see us beating Kansas or Rhode Island. Right now it's hard to believe we'll have a winning record when Bucky comes to town.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »
On two point shooting, MU is 37th in the nation making 56.7% of their shots.  IF they keep that up it would be their best season since at least 2001-02 (which they won't). Defensively, MU' opponents shoot 62.0%!from inside the arc for 341st. In that time, the worse opponent deuce shooting % was 50.3% in Buzz's first year. To date, you can see where the problem lies.

No hyperbole, legit concerns. However, teaching defense is easier than teaching shooting. I think if there is a critique, Wojo has started way too late. Clearly they are not prepared. No time until Xmas break to focus on it in practice, IMO.

I agree with your analysis but assuming Wojo did not attempt to teach defense earlier is a big assumption given his comments early on. If he has been focusing on defense and we have these results then there are five possible reasons for the breakdown, 1) lack of talent, 2) inability to coach, 3) lack of motivation, 4) slow learners or do not buy into the importance of defense or 5) a mixture of two or more of the above.

I choose 3) lack of motivation given the standing around but I could be wrong, I hope not for all of us.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »
I agree with your analysis but assuming Wojo did not attempt to teach defense earlier is a big assumption given his comments early on. If he has been focusing on defense and we have these results then there are five possible reasons for the breakdown, 1) lack of talent, 2) inability to coach, 3) lack of motivation, 4) slow learners or do not buy into the importance of defense or 5) a mixture of two or more of the above.

I choose 3) lack of motivation given the standing around but I could be wrong, I hope not for all of us.

Could be. I thought he said he focused on personal skills development, team chemistry and offense. He was po'ed enough post game to make changes. Let's see what he cooks up tonight.

In any regards, by my count, only two trips in the 2nd half did NOT result in points or a turnover. Two stops. Tells me that adjustments need to be made. Too much playing defense with their hands and no playing defense with their feet or body. I don't think I have ever seen those stats by a MU defense, certainly not against a cupcake.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
In any regards, by my count, only two trips in the 2nd half did NOT result in points or a turnover. Two stops. Tells me that adjustments need to be made. Too much playing defense with their hands and no playing defense with their feet or body. I don't think I have ever seen those stats by a MU defense, certainly not against a cupcake.

I just can't help but laugh at how awful that is. I came into this year saying no expectations and I have to stick with that. I have to think this team will improve. I mean, it truly can't get much worse, can it? Hopefully the staff can motivate these guys to play, and if not take the actions to clear out the dead wood. Some may be disappointed to see top-100 talent leave, but of they can't get back or put some effort into defending, let them go. UNO is filled with one and two star players and right now I'd take most of their guys, ratings be damned.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »

Wojo was defensive player of the year and his signature move if slapping the floor when they need a defensive stop. 

So we are to believe he cannot coach defense or is not interested in it because of one bad game before thanksgiving in his first year?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
NJIT will try to play like UNO, though they are less experienced. Georgia Tech is a matchup nightmare. Lose that and we probably go 1-2 in Orlando. Just can't see us beating Kansas or Rhode Island. Right now it's hard to believe we'll have a winning record when Bucky comes to town.

NJIT will attempt to play like UNO, but they won't succeed. They don't shoot the ball well, they have no true slashing guards, and their tallest player is 6-7. We should be able to handle them with relative ease...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.