[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Give Omaha credit  (Read 4113 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Give Omaha credit
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
They fly down the court and had 2 quick blow by guards, with no one tall enough to block a shot down low for MU.  Sounds to me like Wojo should have at least attempted a zone D, match up
zone instead of seeing the guards blow by them time and again.  It happened at Ohio St. and now against Omaha.   It was interesting to see how bad JJJ was today, Steve Taylor as well.  Steve is not a center but not sure what position he can play.  Both play way to soft.  MU players have no bulk except Derrick and he is a 6 footer.  Kudo's for Derrick and Juan, 2 seniors that
have improved, Derrick's best game at MU.   Like I said earlier in the week, MU needs somebody with muscle next year upfront.  Glad Wojo has time to find somebody, they will need somebody.
Has anybody told Carlino his shot is flat, no arch on his shot?  MU was not ready to play, maybe did not realize how good Omaha was,  now that is coaching??

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Give Omaha credit
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
Definitely their biggest win so far, but they have been trending upwards since their D1 transition began. Very rough 2012, notched 10 D1 wins in their second season, followed by a winning record last year and invite to the CIT. All while playing at the blistering pace we saw yesterday.

Obviously it's not good, and this is the kind of game we should be winning, but they really played with confidence and every time we threatened, they re-established themselves before finally stepping on the throat in the last 5 minutes. They deserve to be proud, yesterday was no fluke.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Definitely their biggest win so far, but they have been trending upwards since their D1 transition began. Very rough 2012, notched 10 D1 wins in their second season, followed by a winning record last year and invite to the CIT. All while playing at the blistering pace we saw yesterday.

Obviously it's not good, and this is the kind of game we should be winning, but they really played with confidence and every time we threatened, they re-established themselves before finally stepping on the throat in the last 5 minutes. They deserve to be proud, yesterday was no fluke.

Yes it was. They just lost at a very bad Seattle team's place by 24. They are not good. Neither are we right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
Yes it was. They just lost at a very bad Seattle team's place by 24. They are not good. Neither are we right now.

You misunderstood what I said. When I say yesterday was no fluke, I meant that if we played them 10 times, they would probably win 6 or 7. They beat us and deserved to.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
The takeaway here is that Carlino's competition has caused DW to step up his game
Just hoping to watch individuals improve this year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:02:14 AM »
You misunderstood what I said. When I say yesterday was no fluke, I meant that if we played them 10 times, they would probably win 6 or 7. They beat us and deserved to.

Okay then the conclusion would be that we are playing worse than DePaul right now, not that UN-O is good. Probably valid.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
Okay then the conclusion would be that we are playing worse than DePaul right now, not that UN-O is good. Probably valid.

I don't know that I'd go THAT far... :D

After all, while DePaul is undefeated, they did beat a (metric wise) worse UIC team at home by 1 point. We may be bad, but I'm not sure we're that bad ;)

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
I don't know that I'd go THAT far... :D

After all, while DePaul is undefeated, they did beat a (metric wise) worse UIC team at home by 1 point. We may be bad, but I'm not sure we're that bad ;)

MU is really bad, no inside play, Taylor really is nothing to write home about, can not shoot from distance, does not look real confident on a free throw.  MU was good with a small line-up in the
past because Lazar could shoot from 3, Taylor not yet.  Juan is average at best and Burton and JJJ have serious flaws in there game.  Throw in average guards, what do you have but a young bad team.  Fisher will help some, if anything adds to the rotation.  I know reading John Dodds column, that he is in love with Sandy Cohen, but he does nothing special.  Release is very slow on
his shot and I see no jump shot, just a set shot.  Next year with the Ellenson boys, I see them both starting next year and Fisher they will look a lot different.  I was hoping the guards that are coming back will step up, but watching them, not sure.  I think you might see both frosh guards playing a lot next year.  I can see why Wojo is recruiting a point guard, not sure they have one
next year.  I hope he is looking at a JC point or transfer with experience.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
MU is really bad, no inside play, Taylor really is nothing to write home about, can not shoot from distance, does not look real confident on a free throw.  MU was good with a small line-up in the
past because Lazar could shoot from 3, Taylor not yet.  Juan is average at best and Burton and JJJ have serious flaws in there game.  Throw in average guards, what do you have but a young bad team.  Fisher will help some, if anything adds to the rotation.  I know reading John Dodds column, that he is in love with Sandy Cohen, but he does nothing special.  Release is very slow on
his shot and I see no jump shot, just a set shot.  Next year with the Ellenson boys, I see them both starting next year and Fisher they will look a lot different.  I was hoping the guards that are coming back will step up, but watching them, not sure.  I think you might see both frosh guards playing a lot next year.  I can see why Wojo is recruiting a point guard, not sure they have one
next year.  I hope he is looking at a JC point or transfer with experience.

The Lazar and the midgets team worked not just because Lazar could shoot outside but because he was skilled at defending the post. Even before that year, he was at least playing the power forward role regularly. Steve and Juan haven't really been playing any role regularly, and neither were guys that were known for their staunch post defense. They are both too skinny to really be the great defender we need. No one on this team can protect the rim. Hopefully Fisch can help with that, but I don't know. Right now, there are more questions than answers. Unfortunately, no matter how bad we do, we can't win the Jahlil Okafor sweepstakes.