[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU CINO (Catholic in name only)?  (Read 113419 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

tower912

• All American
Re: MU CINO (Catholic in name only)?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
This will end poorly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Has anyone taken course from this professor?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/11/22/teacher-to-student-if-dont-support-gay-marriage-drop-my-class/?intcmp=latestnews

So use a lying student as a way to attack an institution who doesn't "toe the line" that Fox News has set?

And this: At that point, the student told the instructor he had a right to challenge that – “that’s my right as an American citizen.”

How about an article about uneducated, self-entitled students that have no qualms about lying to make a political point?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:19:14 PM by brandx »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
So use a lying student and a lying news(?) organization to make a point?

But if it was the asylum members at huffpo it would be believable.   

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
So what's next?  Creationists will waste a Biology class's time on debating the teachings of the bible?  Talk about a waste of time.  China doesn't have this problem and look where they are going.  

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Didn't occur during class time so nothing wasted.  What happened to open discussions and exchange of ideas?
New Liberal philosophy is to negate those who disagree and not debate. Didn't think that was the Jesuit way to denigrate dissenting opinions.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
Rough day for marquette. Beat by a division 2 team then this on a national news outlet. Egh...

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
Didn't occur during class time so nothing wasted.  What happened to open discussions and exchange of ideas?
New Liberal philosophy is to negate those who disagree and not debate. Didn't think that was the Jesuit way to denigrate dissenting opinions.

I didn't think it was the Jesuit way to subjugate a group of people based on their sexuality. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Rough day for marquette. Beat by a division 2 team then this on a national news outlet. Egh...

Yes, yes, "news".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 07:27:51 PM »
There is an audio recording?  Makes it harder to lie about it if there is, but not impossible.  I can only guess Brandx is claiming it is fraudulent because of the source regardless of any evidence.  If the account is true, not good on prof's part.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
This will end poorly.

+1
I saw this earlier in the week on a philosophy blog. I didn't post because I thought to myself "why make Rocky's job harder than it is?"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
I didn't think it was the Jesuit way to subjugate a group of people based on their sexuality. 

Retread the story. Nowhere was that stated as happening.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »
+1
I saw this earlier in the week on a philosophy blog. I didn't post because I thought to myself "why make Rocky's job harder than it is?"

Hah, I saw it a couple days ago, and was surprised it wasn't here first. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
 China doesn't have this problem and look where they are going.  

Their slowest full year expansion in nearly a quarter century?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-21/china-cut-reflecting-domestic-reasons-carries-global-resonance.html

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
I'm honestly curious if many of you actually can't see how a conversation about this wouldn't be offensive to a homosexual in the class? I'm not saying that it shouldn't have happen as in college we're supposed to challenge our ideals and debate our positions but it seems like it goes in one ear and out the other that it would possibly be really scaring to an 18yr old kid.  race and sexism aren't debated like that anymore out of respect why is homosexuality? Now it would've been a better way to divide the class into two sides on said issue (regardless of actual opinion) and have them do the debate like that because youd manage to get people to challenge their viewpoints while doing proper research into both sides of the issue.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 09:35:52 AM »
I'm honestly curious if many of you actually can't see how a conversation about this wouldn't be offensive to a homosexual in the class? I'm not saying that it shouldn't have happen as in college we're supposed to challenge our ideals and debate our positions but it seems like it goes in one ear and out the other that it would possibly be really scaring to an 18yr old kid.  race and sexism aren't debated like that anymore out of respect why is homosexuality? Now it would've been a better way to divide the class into two sides on said issue (regardless of actual opinion) and have them do the debate like that because youd manage to get people to challenge their viewpoints while doing proper research into both sides of the issue.

Racism and sexism (??) are not debated anymore in the college classroom?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
Racism and sexism (??) are not debated anymore in the college classroom?

Not in a manner where you might see a racist individual talking about African Americans being less than the white man or a  misogynistic male speaking about women belonging in the kitchen or not being rational enough to vote.  It is debated from a research standpoint to understand previous points of view.  At least that was how it was debated in the ethics courses I took at MU. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
this is just not right
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
yes i know it's fox news, but no one else will touch this, i guess.  but the point is, and i'm trying to stay A-political here, but, i thought liberal arts specifically and college educations generally are supposed to be an exchange of ideas/debate, etc... this gay-straight thing is getting so old.  i really don't think most people really care that much anymore. for a teacher to make it a stipulation for taking the class is really out of bounds.  talk about intolerance?  i would call for a review of this teacher.  we need to see if he?she is qualified for marquette to teach at all.  alternative life-styles today are so..."yawn"...we have so many other issues that are way more "life challenging" than this.  does this teacher know what year it is?   not to mention, this does not play out very well for marquette.  i would hope they are clarifying this in some way and/or taking some kind of action as, like it or not, fox is one of the most widely read and watched news service

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/11/22/teacher-to-student-if-dont-support-gay-marriage-drop-my-class/
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

Re: this is just not right
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »
yes i know it's fox news, but no one else will touch this, i guess.  but the point is, and i'm trying to stay A-political here, but, i thought liberal arts specifically and college educations generally are supposed to be an exchange of ideas/debate, etc... this gay-straight thing is getting so old.  i really don't think most people really care that much anymore. for a teacher to make it a stipulation for taking the class is really out of bounds.  talk about intolerance?  i would call for a review of this teacher.  we need to see if he?she is qualified for marquette to teach at all.  alternative life-styles today are so..."yawn"...we have so many other issues that are way more "life challenging" than this.  does this teacher know what year it is?   not to mention, this does not play out very well for marquette.  i would hope they are clarifying this in some way and/or taking some kind of action as, like it or not, fox is one of the most widely read and watched news service

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/11/22/teacher-to-student-if-dont-support-gay-marriage-drop-my-class/

All well and good. But, the problem is in the link below those comments. She did not say that. According to the student himself, this is what the teacher said: “You can have whatever opinions you want but I will tell you right now – in this class homophobic comments, racist comments, sexist comments will not be tolerated,” she said. ‘If you don’t like it, you are more than free to drop this class.”

I still think the teacher sets the topics for discussion. Just because one student wants to discuss a certain topic doesn't mean it has to happen. And you think that the students should call the shots. That's fine - we just differ in our opinion.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
Here's the story from a different perspective, as linked to by the Fox article:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/11/20/marquette-u-grad-student-shes-being-targeted-after-ending-class-discussion-gay

My $.02:

I'm sure both the student and the instructor wish they had handled things differently, and the student says as much in the Fox article. She's a grad student with presumably limited experience handling classroom confrontation. He's a student. With an opportunity to have clear heads and be ready for the conversation, the outcome may have been different. I doubt this was a conversation anticipated by the instructor, so she gets more slack from me. The student gets some as well, but he clearly knew what he was going to do after class and likely expected conflict based on his decision to secretly record it.

McAdams, on the other hand, had plenty of time to consider his response. He still published a one-sided post. I recognize the value he provides as a voice of opinions that often run counter to the main narrative on campus, but I think he often misuses his power by presenting incomplete/biased accounts of events. There's room for his values, perspective, and desire to persuade others to coexist with appreciation of the nuance of issues and compassion for those with whom he disagrees, and I think he'd be more effective if he recognized that.

brandx

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/11/20/marquette-u-grad-student-shes-being-targeted-after-ending-class-discussion-gay

My $.02:

I'm sure both the student and the instructor wish they had handled things differently, and the student says as much in the Fox article. She's a grad student with presumably limited experience handling classroom confrontation. He's a student. With an opportunity to have clear heads and be ready for the conversation, the outcome may have been different. I doubt this was a conversation anticipated by the instructor, so she gets more slack from me. The student gets some as well, but he clearly knew what he was going to do after class and likely expected conflict based on his decision to secretly record it.

McAdams, on the other hand, had plenty of time to consider his response. He still published a one-sided post. I recognize the value he provides as a voice of opinions that often run counter to the main narrative on campus, but I think he often misuses his power by presenting incomplete/biased accounts of events. There's room for his values, perspective, and desire to persuade others to coexist with appreciation of the nuance of issues and compassion for those with whom he disagrees, and I think he'd be more effective if he recognized that.

This is a typical response in today's world. Because something happened in ONE CLASS, McAdams wrote that university officials held the same intolerant views as the instructor. A bit of a persecution complex.

As Drew said so well, this was a grad student teaching. To somehow equate her opinion to the opinion of all of MU's officials is just, well, I don't know he got  there from here.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »

My $.02:

i sure do hope cheryl doesn't think you are being condescending here.  where are all the defenders of women here?  drew, you are denying that she can defend herself and i'm sure while you were trying to help her out...

brandx

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
i sure do hope cheryl doesn't think you are being condescending here.  where are all the defenders of women here?  drew, you are denying that she can defend herself and i'm sure while you were trying to help her out...

Could you quote where Drew said that she can't defend herself. I'm not seeing it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »
Could you quote where Drew said that she can't defend herself. I'm not seeing it.

"she's a grad student with presumably limited experience handling classroom confrontation"  "i doubt this conversation was anticipated..."  "she gets more slack from me"  it's like she can't stick up for herself and he's making excuses for her.  "limited experience" yes, but...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: this is just not right
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
yes i know it's fox news, but no one else will touch this, i guess. 

That should not surprise you one bit.  Took 8 days for two of the other big three to even acknowledge John Gruber even existed the last few weeks.  One still has yet to do a story on it, despite massive video.  Ex CBS reporter Sheryl Atkisson has said it well of late about her former mates.