'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Omaha thoughts  (Read 11758 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Omaha thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »
This probably won't hurt our seedin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LeftyWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
I knew this was going to be a tough season but did not expect this. It is not just the loss to a team I never heard of but the fact that Omaha looked better than MU. I cannot get a feel for this team yet. I am going to keep hoping for the best and will try to stay positive but today was baffling. Hopefully the boo birds stay away.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
Today is surprising but it's not time to panic.

Go ahead and worry but I know this team is headed up after this. You have a roster full of guys who barely played in years prior, under a new system with a coach who is in his 3rd game.
I expected some bad losses this year and this surely fits that. I expect a lot more growing pains as well.

You just gotta believe in Wojo and this program. Fischer should provide some help and next years recruiting class will allow us all to take a deep breath and start to see this program become great again. We all just have to remember to stay calm and look forward to the potential coming in and the potential currently on the team.

Chill.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »

Go ahead and worry but I know this team is headed up after this. You have a roster full of guys who barely played in years prior, under a new system with a coach who is in his 3rd game.
I expected some bad losses this year and this surely fits that. I expect a lot more growing pains as well.

You just gotta believe in Wojo and this program. Fischer should provide some help and next years recruiting class will allow us all to take a deep breath and start to see this program become great again. We all just have to remember to stay calm and look forward to the potential coming in and the potential currently on the team.

Chill.

Could not possibly agree more. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
Yup.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 08:32:34 PM »
I wanted Buzz fired after that Thanksgiving week debacle against Dayton at the Sears Centre in Chicago his first year. I grew to appreciate his coaching ability.  Im giving Wojo more time......much more time. I learned my lesson.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
I wanted Buzz fired after that Thanksgiving week debacle against Dayton at the Sears Centre in Chicago his first year. I grew to appreciate his coaching ability.  Im giving Wojo more time......much more time. I learned my lesson.

Once you add in the insane ability to recruit like Wojo has....it makes everything a lot easier to deal with. I am still more excited for Marquette basketball today than I was a year ago.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

Chill.

This is the mindset I'm trying to keep as well.

In 2005, the triplets first year, we lost at home to Winthrop in our 2nd game of the year. We also lost to Nebraska by ten, who proceeded to go 7-9 in the big 12 and lose in the first round of the NIT. We all know how that season turned out.

I don't expect this team to improve to the extent that the 2005 team did, but we're a young, inexperienced team. It will get better. And if it doesn't, we still have next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »

Chill.

Yep.

Yep.

This is the mindset I'm trying to keep as well.

In 2005, the triplets first year, we lost at home to Winthrop in our 2nd game of the year. We also lost to Nebraska by ten, who proceeded to go 7-9 in the big 12 and lose in the first round of the NIT. We all know how that season turned out.

I don't expect this team to improve to the extent that the 2005 team did, but we're a young, inexperienced team. It will get better. And if it doesn't, we still have next year.

Yep.

Yup.

Yep.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »

Chill.

Well stated.  I still believe in Wojo.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »
I like their steaks

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
Out ahead of the posse.
I get that, but lighting the place on fire and running from it doesn't make one smart
No Finish Line

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »
I am wondering if Wojo knows how to coach less talented players? He has been an assistant at Duke for many years and has also help with USA team, which are loaded with Burger boys. I have always felt that you coach elite talent differently than you do lunch pail type players. Buzz is a lunch pail type player coach and Wojo is a Burger boy coach. it just may be that you cannot play Duke style finess basketball with lunch pail players. if that is true, than Wojo will have to continue to recruit like he did this year or change his style of coaching. My concern is the worse we are this year the harder it will be for Wojo to recruit. it is much easier to recruit before you lose your first game and you can sell the recruits on what you are going to do before reality hits you in the face.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:43:53 PM by bilsu »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:25 PM »
It's not as though Duke just throws out some basketballs and says "go at it."  They do serious coaching there.  It's not *that* different.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
Winners sacrifice everything for a single goal. Losers have only excuses and make a half axx attempt before saying they can't. We will learn shortly in which category this team belongs.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 01:27:50 AM »
I am wondering if Wojo knows how to coach less talented players? He has been an assistant at Duke for many years and has also help with USA team, which are loaded with Burger boys. I have always felt that you coach elite talent differently than you do lunch pail type players. Buzz is a lunch pail type player coach and Wojo is a Burger boy coach. it just may be that you cannot play Duke style finess basketball with lunch pail players. if that is true, than Wojo will have to continue to recruit like he did this year or change his style of coaching. My concern is the worse we are this year the harder it will be for Wojo to recruit. it is much easier to recruit before you lose your first game and you can sell the recruits on what you are going to do before reality hits you in the face.
I had some similar thoughts.  There was a thread last year about how Deonte comes from a H.S. program that didn't do much development of players, just throw out the ball and let the boys run.  Based on JJJ's shooting form, I'd speculate he didn't get much guidance from HS or AAU coaching either.  We know we've never heard Brent use the words "player" and "Development" in the same sentence.  These kids are raw!

Duke's recruits have potential and have seen high level competition in HS and have a history of good coaching.  Kids with a history of good coaching also know how to receive coaching.  This combination is probably why Flory was asked to move out of Rapids.  Don't know much about the coaching there, but we know the competition isn't going to prepare him for top level D1 (ref:  Zavada, Jeff)
Wojo needs to learn how to work with these raw kids and these raw kids need to learn how to accept coaching.  This doesn't happen in one pre-season!
I have faith that Wojo will "find" these kids and that he'll recruit Duke style kids in the future - who have seen excellent competition, have good H.S. and AAU coaches, and have great potential.

Give the man time!!!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »
Ah OK....that makes a lot more sense.  bilsu if that is what you meant, then I understand where you were coming from.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »
I had some similar thoughts.  There was a thread last year about how Deonte comes from a H.S. program that didn't do much development of players, just throw out the ball and let the boys run.  Based on JJJ's shooting form, I'd speculate he didn't get much guidance from HS or AAU coaching either.  We know we've never heard Brent use the words "player" and "Development" in the same sentence.  These kids are raw!

Duke's recruits have potential and have seen high level competition in HS and have a history of good coaching.  Kids with a history of good coaching also know how to receive coaching.  This combination is probably why Flory was asked to move out of Rapids.  Don't know much about the coaching there, but we know the competition isn't going to prepare him for top level D1 (ref:  Zavada, Jeff)
Wojo needs to learn how to work with these raw kids and these raw kids need to learn how to accept coaching.  This doesn't happen in one pre-season!
I have faith that Wojo will "find" these kids and that he'll recruit Duke style kids in the future - who have seen excellent competition, have good H.S. and AAU coaches, and have great potential.

Give the man time!!!

Great post. Makes me think about quite a few of Buzz's recruits that didn't work out. Was he maybe just recruiting to the scouting reports? Of his out-of-state top-100 recruits, Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, Juan Anderson, Steve Taylor, and Jajuan Johnson have all come up a bit short on expectations. Even Junior with his career numbers of 5.6 ppg/3.7 apg didn't exactly meet top-50 hype.

Maymon and Blue were probably the best of them (jury still out on Deonte and Duane), though Maymon did it elsewhere and for Blue it was really only one year that he truly met expectations.

Maybe Buzz simply wasn't very good at evaluating HS coaching. Raw talent, sure, but the guys that really thrived under him were those that had the benefit of JUCO coaching. Jimmy, Jae, DJO, the guys with higher level coaching before they got here were the ones that stood out the most.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this develops, especially as Wojo gets his kind of guys in here.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
Great post. Makes me think about quite a few of Buzz's recruits that didn't work out. Was he maybe just recruiting to the scouting reports? Of his out-of-state top-100 recruits, Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, Juan Anderson, Steve Taylor, and Jajuan Johnson have all come up a bit short on expectations. Even Junior with his career numbers of 5.6 ppg/3.7 apg didn't exactly meet top-50 hype.

Maymon and Blue were probably the best of them (jury still out on Deonte and Duane), though Maymon did it elsewhere and for Blue it was really only one year that he truly met expectations.

Maybe Buzz simply wasn't very good at evaluating HS coaching. Raw talent, sure, but the guys that really thrived under him were those that had the benefit of JUCO coaching. Jimmy, Jae, DJO, the guys with higher level coaching before they got here were the ones that stood out the most.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this develops, especially as Wojo gets his kind of guys in here.
Good to see you back Brew. I, for one, miss the angle and insight you bring to the board.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
I'll second that.   Welcome back, AB.   Odd coincidence, the timing of your return. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »
I'll second that.   Welcome back, AB.   Odd coincidence, the timing of your return. 

Actually it is :D

I miss the discussion, so decided to put a few select members on ignore and see how it went. Regardless of who is here and who isn't, it's the good people on this site that have me itching to post again. Has nothing to do with the ones that I didn't always see eye-to-eye with.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »

Give the man time!!!

Excellent post! Some people here have been a little emotional with statements like this is the worst loss in school history and Wojo's contract should be bought out. A bit harsh for someone who just coached his third game.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Great insight on how kids may or not have been coached in HS.  This is why I stop here. To learn from people who know the game and the environment.