[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Omaha thoughts  (Read 11760 times)

tower912

• All American
Omaha thoughts
« on: November 22, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586882

It is all there in the box score.    Probably best to not rant at the moment.   Other than to say that players who didn't play good enough defense to get on the court for one coach don't usually turn into lockdown defenders.   Combine that with a lack of size, a lack of depth and trying to play an extended pressure defense...... 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
Re: Omaha thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »

It is all there in the box score.    Probably best to not rant at the moment.   Other than to say that players who didn't play good enough defense to get on the court for one coach don't usually turn into lockdown defenders.   Combine that with a lack of size, a lack of depth and trying to play an extended pressure defense...... 

No excuse for losing to a transition Division II team. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »

JJJ and ST combine for a whopping 2 points. Just brutal.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
My only thought at the moment is that the country bumpkin is smarter than we want to think he is.  Got in when it was good and good out before it got really bad.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »
Tempus fugit.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
My only thought at the moment is that the country bumpkin is smarter than we want to think he is.  Got in when it was good and good out before it got really bad.
This makes him smart?
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
This makes him smart?

Out ahead of the posse.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
Bumstead's the mofo who chit this bed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

It was a smart career move.  It's going to take 2-3 years to build this program back up.  You can only go up @ VaTech and he'll do that, which may lead to a more prominent position in the future.  Regardless, he was going to have a bad team no matter where he was this year.  Best to have it where expectations are low. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
**If Wojo is a good coach, we will find out between now and the UW game in a couple weeks.  This is no doubt a bad loss, but one bad loss isn't that big a deal.  Rebounding from this is most important.

**Dawson still doesn't see the floor.  JJJ has been a non-factor in about the last 70 minutes of game time.  Are we still going to question why neither of them played much last year?  It is slightly worrisome that JJJ still struggles.  I know it is still very early in his career, but...

**The team defense was awful.  And I mean the worst defensive performance I have seen since???

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »
**If Wojo is a good coach, we will find out between now and the UW game in a couple weeks.  This is no doubt a bad loss, but one bad loss isn't that big a deal.  Rebounding from this is most important.

**The team defense was awful.  And I mean the worst defensive performance I have seen since???

Good points.  I don't have a problem with the team giving up many points as these aren't wojo's guys for his system.  The problem I do have is when guys stand around and don't hustle.  That is the major red flag at this point.  These guys just aren't putting forth effort.  I don't care about the losses as much as I do the lack of intensity on defense.  Nebraska is transitioning to division I for crying out loud.  How do you let a team, that just recruited its first (tournament eligible) class shoot 57% against you at home?   This is the worst loss in MU history.  They had an RPI of 252. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
The only thing I got out of that game was a way to show my daughter how you can still attack a team even when it looks like they are back on defense. Because they may just back in body and their brains have not transitioned to defense yet.  Unfortunately, it wasn't MU that provided the example.

I think Wojo's shoulder has to be sore based on the number of times he threw air punches.  I swear he could have thrown a 95 mph fastball if he had a ball in his hand.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
Good points.  I don't have a problem with the team giving up many points as these aren't wojo's guys for his system.  The problem I do have is when guys stand around and don't hustle.  

But why aren't they hustling?  I think simply saying they aren't guys for "his system" is a bit of a cop out.  It seems to me that we are talking about some basic things here.  

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

But why aren't they hustling?  I think simply saying they aren't guys for "his system" is a bit of a cop out.  It seems to me that we are talking about some basic things here.  

It really doesn't make any sense.  Wojo's forte as a college player was defense and won a defensive player of the year award.  If anything, you'd think that would be the hallmark of his teachings and team personality.  The fact that it hasn't translated on to the court is quite disturbing.  None of these players are exhibiting the charisma that Wojo played with @ Duke.  In fact, it's the opposite. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
Sure am glad 2/3 of his assistant staff are from the Drake loser program.    Bunch of losers on this sideline.

But Marquette can't lose?  It's a machine and any coach will win here, right?  ::)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
Defense is based on hustle. This team just wants to shoot the ball. JJJ and Deonte have a long way to go under Wojo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 05:58:14 PM »
So, the guys who did not exhibit good habits or play good defense last year aren't playing good defense this year.   Why the surprise?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
So, the guys who did not exhibit good habits or play good defense last year aren't playing good defense this year.   Why the surprise?

Good coaches mold their players or at least get them to play to a higher level than when they began in a program.

Might make sense why Buzz played head games now.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
The other disturbing thing is that defenses are usually ahead of the offenses in the beginning of the year.  As teams gel, their offenses become more proficient. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
Defense is based on hustle. This team just wants to shoot the ball. JJJ and Deonte have a long way to go under Wojo.

That's untrue, takes more than hustle to play good defense. Need strength, lateral quickness, great insticts, anticipation and quick hands. You also need some bigs to protect the rim. It's just a bad team with mostly below average players. When Juan Anderson and Derrick Wilson are your best players, you're in trouble.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
**Dawson still doesn't see the floor.  JJJ has been a non-factor in about the last 70 minutes of game time.  Are we still going to question why neither of them played much last year?  It is slightly worrisome that JJJ still struggles.  I know it is still very early in his career, but...

I know that there are some things coaches aren't supposed to say about their players but hopefully some Scoopers out there can pick up some vibes and/or conversations around about why Dawson isn't getting PT.

He was high on my list because he has some offensive skills.
SS Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
Probably cause his defense sucks the worst of everyone.   

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
Probably cause his defense sucks the worst of everyone.   

My sense, too.

Another thing about this team: We're not getting to the line as frequently as we used to.

Those two scorers would've been in foul trouble and it would have possibly hampered their minutes and production.

The inability to get to the line - witnessed last year - is going to haunt this team again unless they get their aggressiveness up.

Something has to offset the fact that we're going to be outrebounded every game until Fischer joins this squad.
SS Marquette

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »
My sense, too.

Another thing about this team: We're not getting to the line as frequently as we used to.

Those two scorers would've been in foul trouble and it would have possibly hampered their minutes and production.

The inability to get to the line - witnessed last year - is going to haunt this team again unless they get their aggressiveness up.

Something has to offset the fact that we're going to be outrebounded every game until Fischer joins this squad.

There aren't as many balls to rebound when your opponent shoots 57%   :D

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
Team  played without a sense of urgency, slow and uninspired effort on defense, did not drive to the basket often enough to score and or get fouled and put some foul pressure on them, fouled way too often - I think Omaha had 26 points from the stripe?, etc.  I cannot remember a worse defensive effort.  Open looks and lay-up practice.

Lots needs to be righted.  Effort is key. Getting the team prepared is key. Not accepting mediocre effort is key.  Talent development is key.  Adjustments are key.

Lots of work ahead.  Hope the players and staff learn a lot over the weekend.  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:20:07 PM by Daniel »

feedback