'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What purpose does Carlino serve?  (Read 20736 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: What purpose does Carlino serve?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »
Our current team has played together for two months. The team will change again when Luke is eligible. Give the guys time to sort out where they stand.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:57 AM »
As far as I can tell, El Mattador was a was given a scholarship to appease the bald lobby.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »
I think Carlino will be an asset by the end of the year, but this game was horrible for him. He was embarrassed on D. Should have joined Jajuan on the bench in the second half. Not that Derrick no Duane were great on defense, but Carlino just looked out of his depth. UNO is one of the fastest teams in the country. Yesterday was not an aberration, they have finished in the top-11 in adjusted tempo every year in D1. He'll be much better suited to play against teams that want to slow it down.

It's interesting...Carlino played in an offense for 3 years that was designed to speed other teams up and while he certainly wasn't perfect, he did produce. Yet when teams try to speed him up, he ends up lost.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
Carlino took side ill advised shots and had bad defense last night, but he wasn't the reason we lost. He's our best pg at this point
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »
Carlino took side ill advised shots and had bad defense last night, but he wasn't the reason we lost. He's our best pg at this point

He should not have been out there in the second half. This game (and the next game vs NJIT) are games that he simply isn't well-suited for. They are just too fast, not only in transition but in their half-court sets as well. And while he has been our best PG, he seems more comfortable as the off-guard. Every time he plays with Derrick, he lets Derrick take the ball up and initiate the offense. While Carlino does fine when he is the lead guard, he definitely seems to fashion himself as more of a 2 than a 1.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
Wait, let me get this straight.  We're going to sit here and complain about a guy who shot 3-8 and had 12 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, and 2 turnovers in 21 minutes yet we're okay with having 2 starters who shot a combined 1-7 with 1 assist, 3 rebounds, and 1 turnover in 26 minutes?  I get it, Carlino's defense was horrible.  But whose wasn't yesterday?  Seriously, there wasn't a single player whose defense I would consider anything above "atrocious."

I must be an idiot because the logic by some posters makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »
Wait, let me get this straight.  We're going to sit here and complain about a guy who shot 3-8 and had 12 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, and 2 turnovers in 21 minutes yet we're okay with having 2 starters who shot a combined 1-7 with 1 assist, 3 rebounds, and 1 turnover in 26 minutes?  I get it, Carlino's defense was horrible.  But whose wasn't yesterday?  Seriously, there wasn't a single player whose defense I would consider anything above "atrocious."

I must be an idiot because the logic by some posters makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

Who said they were okay with the performances of Steve and Jajuan yesterday?  ?-(

Speaking for myself, I felt the bulk of the second half minutes should have went to Juan, Deonte, Duane, Derrick, and Sandy. Those five played the best and since no one was playing defense, might as well take our chances with the guys most likely to score that at least have the potential to keep up with the defense. What compounded Carlino's problem was that when he was beat on defense, he kept taking swipes at his man which led to him fouling out as well. He needs to learn that when he's beat, giving the guy an extra shot at the charity stripe won't improve matters.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Who said they were okay with the performances of Steve and Jajuan yesterday?  ?-(

Speaking for myself, I felt the bulk of the second half minutes should have went to Juan, Deonte, Duane, Derrick, and Sandy. Those five played the best and since no one was playing defense, might as well take our chances with the guys most likely to score that at least have the potential to keep up with the defense. What compounded Carlino's problem was that when he was beat on defense, he kept taking swipes at his man which led to him fouling out as well. He needs to learn that when he's beat, giving the guy an extra shot at the charity stripe won't improve matters.

Well, I don't see any threads questioning what purpose JJJ and Taylor serve, so there's a start.

I personally didn't think Sandy did much of anything at all yesterday.  I thought he looked like, well, a freshman.  He was 2-9 shooting (more shots and less makes than Carlino) for 8 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 turnover.  Wasn't brutal offensively but wasn't as good as Carlino was out there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »
What purpose does Carlino serve? He does absolutely nothing for us, aina?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »
Snaps

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
He seems to be serving a purpose tonight.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

Nah, don't you know if you play bad defense in a game where nobody played defense at all 3 games into the season you serve no purpose and should've never been brought in at all? Should've left the roster at 8.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 09:11:09 PM »
Zone has helped Carlino. Been a lot harder for guys to get isolation and go by him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Not just a career high in points, but at least 5 rebounds tonight too. Better defense in the zone. No doubt his best game this year, even with a few questionable shots.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
Not just a career high in points, but at least 5 rebounds tonight too. Better defense in the zone. No doubt his best game this year, even with a few questionable shots.

Espn has him with 6!!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
Don't we feel stupid now for starting this thread.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »

Who's we?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »

Making River Rat and some others look like idiots?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:26:35 PM by pbiflyer »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »

Hells no! Somebody should start a thread like this about every one of our players. It obviously "inspired" Carlino to greatness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »

Would you expect anything less from River Rat?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:38 PM »
Would you expect anything less from River Rat?

Well, we certainly know what purpose river rat serves.

A fan board can never have enough dopes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »
He is an incorrigible chucker.

From one incorrigible chucker to another... here's to ya, Carlino!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:30 PM »
Carlino with 14 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists. Great rebounding effort tonight. Shot wasn't falling but at least he didn't force it. Could have been better but still pleased with his effort tonight.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »
Yup.  Time to look back at the OP and giggle.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
Yup.  Time to look back at the OP and giggle.

Think we could easily edit the OP by inserting another guard's name.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback