[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Worst loss since.....  (Read 11944 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Worst loss since.....
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
Who cares?  Is Ners gone yet?

It actually would be kind of fun to see how he reacted to this one.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
This loss has absolutely nothing to do with Buzz. We had the horses to be this team by 20.

I call BS. Two starters combine for 2 points. JJJ disappeared. Duane W and SC are first year players. This team has very few horses. Buzz left the cupboard pretty empty.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
I call BS. Two starters combine for 2 points. JJJ disappeared. Duane W and SC are first year players. This team has very few horses. Buzz left the cupboard pretty empty.

This.

Even then, the facts are there:

- Of the 2013-14 minutes played, only 39% return this year. Subtract DWil and Juan, that percentage of court time drops to 18%. No way does this current team succeed without game experience. That's what Wojo saw and said in his comments before this game.

- 72% of scoring is gone. And that was from a season when Derrick Wilson would be the top returning scorer. One word: SCARY.

- Top returning rebounder for the 2014-15 season? Derrick. Again, scary. Even average-wise, he out rebounded Juan, Steve and Deonte.

When Derrick Wilson is your top returning anything, that's not a good sign.

My positives from this game and quite honestly for the season: experience and the emergence of Sandy Cohen as the glue guy. He may well be our next JFB or Wes or Zar.

SS Marquette

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »

My positives from this game and quite honestly for the season: experience and the emergence of Sandy Cohen as the glue guy. He may well be our next JFB or Wes or Zar.

I have heard that scouts on the team think Sandy Cohen will be quite similar to Tony Smith when it's all said and done. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 06:15:22 PM »
This.

Even then, the facts are there:

- Of the 2013-14 minutes played, only 39% return this year. Subtract DWil and Juan, that percentage of court time drops to 18%. No way does this current team succeed without game experience. That's what Wojo saw and said in his comments before this game.

- 72% of scoring is gone. And that was from a season when Derrick Wilson would be the top returning scorer. One word: SCARY.

- Top returning rebounder for the 2014-15 season? Derrick. Again, scary. Even average-wise, he out rebounded Juan, Steve and Deonte.

When Derrick Wilson is your top returning anything, that's not a good sign.

Which is why I didn't understand the optimism.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »
scoring is not the problem.   If Wojo could coach em up defensively we'd have something.

I'm not big into excuses period, but especially against a nebraska-omaha.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »
scoring is not the problem.   If Wojo could coach em up defensively we'd have something.

I'm not big into excuses period, but especially against a nebraska-omaha.

But getting outrebounded by an Omaha team that didn't even boast players TALLER than us is a huge concern.
SS Marquette

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Goose - Bucky will beat us by 40 unless Bo calls off the dogs.

So, 40-0 as the final score?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
Losing a game that means something is far worse than losing today. No doubt a bad joke but in big picture this game means nothing. All in how you things in regards to today. I can think of a lot of games that were worse than this one.

Perfectly said, Goose.

Miami of Ohio in 1978 was a bazillion times worse than this. Maybe 2 bazillion times worse than this. Tulsa in 2002 was pretty effen bad, too.

Those games MATTERED.

I laughed every time I read somebody comment that we had a chance to be good this season. We're ridiculously small, we have no depth, our best players are unproven and we have a coach who is learning on the fly. Come on, folks, keep some perspective.

When we're really good by midway through next season, this loss will have been barely a blip on the radar.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Perfectly said, Goose.

Miami of Ohio in 1978 was a bazillion times worse than this. Maybe 2 bazillion times worse than this. Tulsa in 2002 was pretty effen bad, too.

Those games MATTERED.

I laughed every time I read somebody comment that we had a chance to be good this season. We're ridiculously small, we have no depth, our best players are unproven and we have a coach who is learning on the fly. Come on, folks, keep some perspective.

When we're really good by midway through next season, this loss will have been barely a blip on the radar.

Is Wojo really learning on the fly?  He had a lot of coaching duties when he left Duke. along with him being an assistant for 15 years.  I hope you're right, because this team isn't playing any fundamental defense.  No effort.  No hustle.  That's all they had to do today to beat this team that has half the talent of Marquette. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »
Got to go back a ways.  North Dakota State came to mind; then again, they were a decent team that had also won in the Kohl Center the previous year and since it was during the Classic had won on our floor the previous night.  Don't really care about WMU since half the teams don't care or try during the NIT anyway.

It's going to take some time.  Just disheartening to not even be at square one yet.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »
Maine

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
I know some folks are getting on Wojo's case. We were 8-18 in Al's first season.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »
Perfectly said, Goose.

Those games MATTERED.

I agree Miami of Ohio in 78 was worse. I was at that game and I still believe it was the beginning of our decline that eventually hit bottom under Dukiet.

I think in this case we are bouncing along the bottom, will hit a few more tough stretches, and then begin another leg up.

This is going to be a learning experience for everyone. The interesting thing about this year, is that the coaches really can't keep a player in the doghouse long with the small size of the team. That is going to be a very interesting coaching challenge.

This game may end up being a bonus. In that it shows the kids it doesn't matter if you can score , you still have to play defense.  I think they are a bright enough group to embrace that.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
Losing a game that means something is far worse than losing today. No doubt a bad joke but in big picture this game means nothing. All in how you things in regards to today. I can think of a lot of games that were worse than this one.

Agree from a fan perspective this is a meaningless game. From a coaching, teaching and a character building perspective this game was a complete disaster IMHO. I guess we could blame the coach but I think not. This team needs to accept responsibility for their failure.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
Perfectly said, Goose.

Those games MATTERED.

They may hurt more, but those are losses against good teams.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
Worse loss since Green Bay, just because of the meltdown factor. UWGB had people standing on the ledge for a team that ended up winning the Big East and going to the Elite 8. I don't think anyone was booking their flights for Cleveland in March just yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
Nebraska-Omaha lost to "Seattle" (1-2, only win vs Neb-omaha) by 24 this season... This one stings

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »

+1

A mediocre/rough season is a mediocre/rough season whether or not you have an awful loss like this. A loss that derails a season with the potential to be special is something completely different.

There's a reason people still talk about Miami Ohio and not North Dakota, Maine, Winthrop, etc.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Perfectly said, Goose.

Those games MATTERED.

That assumes that our best players aren't Derrick, Juan Anderson and Steve Taylor.  The alternative is that our best players are upperclassmen that came into the season with a combined 8.2 points per game career scoring average.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »
How about this ...

It is not a bad loss as one RPI+200 team beat another RPI+200 team?  Big deal, happens all the time.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
Very far from worst loss.
I even think the GB loss was worse because we expected something from that team. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »
That assumes that our best players aren't Derrick, Juan Anderson and Steve Taylor.  The alternative is that our best players are upperclassmen that came into the season with a combined 8.2 points per game career scoring average.

Even if our best players are Derrick, Juan and Steve, I'm pretty sure they came into this season unproven, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
OMAHA OMAHA!
-Peyton Manning

feedback