[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Personal Experience With MU Basketball Player  (Read 27873 times)

romey

• All American
Re: Personal Experience With MU Basketball Player
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »
John Leurck and John Ellenson were really nice guys, they interacted like normal college students.  Joe Nethan was funny, you would always see him involved in campus activities, I remember him always being at Toma's when they had bands.  Rod Grosse was a good guy, and Tyrone Baldwin was funny, seemed like the upperclassmen kept to "basketball team group" and limited their interaction, while the younger players were more like students, which I'm sure had a lot to do with where they lived.
OMG you were really at MU during the bottom of the basketball years.  Imagine a non-scooper reading this out of context.  Who? and who?

I'm an old man.  During the first week or tow on campus we're playing a pick up softball game (yeah the 16" variety) over near the theater on Tory Hill - real informal, co-eds, beers, etc.  Guy walks up to join in and very politely asks if he can play.  I'm next to him out on the field and he extends his hand, "hey, I'm Glenn." Yep - Doc Rivers.  Very good softball player by the way.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
I love reading all of these stories. Gives a great perspective on how the vast majority of these players are really just normal guys. Keep them coming.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2014, 10:09:25 AM »
They've been mentioned before.  Doc, Marc and Larry were super nice guys. The first I got to know was Larry Hatchett.  I'm forgetting how many years ahead of me he was or how we met but I thought it was cool when an upperclassman basketball player befriended a Frosh like me. We never really socialized possibly because of the age difference but he always made it a point to go out of his way to say Hello and chat for a bit if he saw me.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Boylan was a bartender at one of the down on her luck gin mills on State Street. He would play a tape of the Ship game and when the action turned to him at the line he would announce, "If he makes the first free throw the next round's on me!" The crowd would never fail to cheer lustily as the ball cut through nylon. Beer never tasted better.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
Of all the MU players that I have known over the years I think Ric Cobb is the nicest guy of the bunch. He has a great heart and all around nice person. Would add that having a family member play at MU definitely opened dozens of doors over the years to interact with the guys. So, my BIL is my best MU player experience. Over 40 years with him in the family has made things very exciting. Plus he helped me with my free throw shooting when I very little boy.

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
Steve Novak.

A few years ago, I got a tour of the Al McGuire center for my dad, who spent much of his youth at Rockaway Beach, NY - Al's old stomping grounds.  My dad always liked Al and shares his knack for one-liners.  We stopped by the gym and Steve Novak was working on his shot.  A buddy of his was feeding him passes and chasing down balls. 

Steve was not shooting well that day - a few consecutive misses - more rim than you'd expect.  This was when Steve looked like he might be on the way out of the NBA - when he had those brief runs with the Mavs, Spurs, and Reno Bighorns.  As Steve was clanging a few shots, I explained to my dad that he was working on his forte - the three pointer.  My dad says something to the effect of "His forte? Really? Because it looks like he's helping his friend work on his rebounding."  That's my dad for you.

I can't recall the name of the gentleman who gave us the tour.  He was great though.  He calls Steve over and we're introduced.  Steve talks to us as if we were some important donor types when we're really just a couple of hoop fans who got hooked up with a nice tour. 

The next season is when Steve broke out with the Knicks.  My dad spends his retirement in New Jersey watching the local sports teams.  He calls me up and says the Knicks have a guy from Marquette who is tearing it up.  I tell him it's the guy we saw shooting in the gym over the summer.  He missed the connection.  He says "the big white guy?"  I say "Yes."  He says something like..."well...the practice paid off."  Indeed it did.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
Ty Baldwin and Charles Luter.

I knew Ty better because I had several classes with him.  Good guy.  But I did have an interesting day with Luter.  One of my dad's old college buddies lived in Mequon.  I'd never met him, but he invited me to come up to their house to spend the day swimming and hanging out.  Told me another Freshman he knew would give me a lift.  Turned out it was Charles Luter.  Nice guy, but I really didn't see him around too much other than that one day.

I also sat next to Lazar's dad at the Pitt game the year before Lazar got to Marquette.  Really nice guy.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
Am I the only one that looked at this thread title and got really worried as to what it would be about?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »
1) Tom Crean - I spent 9-11 with Tom watching the World Trade Center tragedy. We were in the middle of design sessions for the Al McGuire Center that day. We had some interesting conversations that day as we were both concerned about our families. While always completely ADD, he did genuinely care about some important stuff. Several times years later I would pass him at an event or other arena and he always said hi and strangely remembered my name.

2) Kevin O'neil - complete jerk during several interactions

3) Mike Deane - During our final four run in New Orleans I ran into Mike in a corner bar. We sat and drank a few together. Seemed like an OK guy at least to share a beer with.

4) Doc Rivers - Went to school with him. Class guy always, genuine and nice at all times.

5) Tony Smith - Played softball against Tony for several years in a Wauwatosa League. Really cool, down-to-earth guy.

6) Dwyane Wade - Ran into Dwyane in several settings. He was great with my kids, always friendly and seemed interested in any conversation presented.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
Am I the only one that looked at this thread title and got really worried as to what it would be about?

Could be an interestin' question for the broads on this board, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »

Could be an interestin' question for the broads on this board, aina?

Broads?  Plural?
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
rob hanley-great guy, down to earth, got it from his super nice family

lloyd walton-he lived in the hegarty hilton( i was manager) for the time he played for the bucks  at the same time, i tended bar at houstons, (the old jj garlics)  fed him free drinks and shot the bull.  he was a really down-to-earth, funny guy

larry hatchett-had some classes with him-he was pre med-don't know how he juggled b-ball and academics, but super studious

oliver lee-nice guy, but he didn't come up here from florida for the climate
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2014, 12:46:58 PM »
4ever

It would make for a very interesting thread!!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »
I think that thread would have to take place on the superbar  :D

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
Otule unsuccesfully tried to go shot for shot with me and some buddies (he was dating a friend of a friend at the time) on Jaeger bombs at Brothers about 3 years ago.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
I know it's supposed to be personal stories but my friend's story about his encounter with James is too good not to tell.  After bar close a friend of mine goes into Marquette Gyros during James's senior year and Dominic is standing in there with Trend.  My friend walks up to Dominic and puts his hand on his shoulder and says, "Yo Dom, I gotta talk to you."  Dominic tells him to give him a minute and my friend says, "No, now!  I love you, man, but you better start studying your Italian."  Trend then replied, "What'd this m'fer say?!" as my friend walked out of MU Gyros.

I'd probably keep that story to yourself, your friend sounds like a huge tool.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
It's not even close to a good story. There is nothing funny or interesting about it, yet I get the feeling these sad people treat it as legend.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
It's not even close to a good story. There is nothing funny or interesting about it, yet I get the feeling these sad people treat it as legend.

+1

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
Todd Townsend spent a summer tour guiding for MU. He was awesome, even if he get mad when I beat his cardinals with the brewers on MLB '04.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »

Thanks for setting me straight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
Thanks for setting me straight.
If you go around telling that story as if it's funny, then you are welcome. I am setting you straight.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2014, 02:37:54 PM »
If you go around telling that story as if it's funny, then you are welcome. I am setting you straight.

But sitting behind an anonymous screen name and hoping/joking about someone (Crean) losing his job is hilarious.  Got it.  Any other tips for me?

(Not that I find that to be a problem.  Just don't waste my time telling other people what is and isn't funny when I don't find their stories funny.)

I can certainly think of a lot "douchier" things a 21 year old male under the influence of alcohol might do.  But maybe that's just me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »
Well, this otherwise really fun and entertaining thread just got decidingly less so right quick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »

Yes you are, Mrs. Sandusky.

BTW ... welcome back, brew. I missed you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
Well, this otherwise really fun and entertaining thread just got decidingly less so right quick.

The only thing I have is that I dated a girl who used to work at MU as an assistant to a professor.  She told me Dwayne Wade would come in and flirt with her all the time.  She heard several stories about how he was a huge player on campus with his charm.  

feedback