[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Nice to see Cal stomp the Cuse in MSG  (Read 7926 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Nice to see Cal stomp the Cuse in MSG
« on: November 20, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »

Nice win for Coach Martin.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
Re: Nice to see Cal stomp the Cuse in MSG
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
And the Tan One beat SMU.  ;D

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:09:55 PM »
Cuonzo looking good....

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:16:12 AM »
I was in NYC for work a few weeks ago. The station had Boeheim on and he made some interesting comments. He said that when they recruit, they try to project how many years the player will be around before jumping to the NBA. He said Ennis was recruited to be a 2-3 year player and Grant was recruited to be a 3-4 year player. Both left earlier than anticipated and he said his team will struggle this year because they thought they would have both around for this year. His comments kind of soured my enthusiasm for college basketball; he made it seem like building a roster is even a crap shoot nowadays.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:49:25 AM »
Syracuse was overrated at 23. They will be a tournament team, but they will be closer to a 12 seed than a 1 seed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:50:38 AM »
Superbar

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:13:20 AM »
Syracuse was overrated at 23. They will be a tournament team, but they will be closer to a 12 seed than a 1 seed.

Honestly I wouldn't even guarantee tourney team for them
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »
Any loss for Shady Boeheim and his pedophile concealing tactics on an Asst.. from the past is a win for humanity
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »
Dick Vitale tripped over himself to befuddle the Syracuse legal issue and blame NCAA for taking so long to do an investigation.  The investigators are guilty, sure they are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 08:21:47 AM »
Cuonzo can coach.  I would have been happy with him at MU.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
Dick Vitale tripped over himself to befuddle the Syracuse legal issue and blame NCAA for taking so long to do an investigation.  The investigators are guilty, sure they are.
Dick Vitale conveniently overlooks all the shady crap that guys like Pitino and Boeheim, and Caliapri pull and constantly gushes over them. Boeheim knew, or sure suspected what Bernie Fine was doing for years--and did nothing. Meanwhile, Joe Pa at least turned the matter over to admin. and he gets crucified for it. Plenty of BS blame to go around, including the NCAA who trips over their own footsteps as they kittenfoot around the big elight boys.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
Dick Vitale conveniently overlooks all the shady crap that guys like Pitino and Boeheim, and Caliapri pull and constantly gushes over them. Boeheim knew, or sure suspected what Bernie Fine was doing for years--and did nothing. Meanwhile, Joe Pa at least turned the matter over to admin. and he gets crucified for it. Plenty of BS blame to go around, including the NCAA who trips over their own footsteps as they kittenfoot around the big elight boys.

I would insert Coach K and Roy Williams into this.  Outside of banging a chick who isn't his wife at an Italian restaurant, I am not sure what Pitino has done.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
Meanwhile, Joe Pa at least turned the matter over to admin. and he gets crucified for it.

Maybe cause he looked the other way for decades...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »

I would insert Coach K and Roy Williams into this.  Outside of banging a chick who isn't his wife at an Italian restaurant, I am not sure what Pitino has done.
Uhh...I believe she was the wife of the Football Strength Coach and had to testify to all this at some sort of trial or hearing. Which even makes it all more of a mess. But the point is that Pitino is considered a saint by Vitale. The good thing is that Pitino kept the place of the quickie smack dab in the Paisan community.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Maybe cause he looked the other way for decades...

As did Boeheim.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »

Yeah Coach K does qualify, although with his rep, nothing would ever stick to him. Now Williams, haven't followed that scandal closely--did that all occur under his watch or does some go back even further? And why is the NCAA dragging their feet on that? Oh...it is UNC--answered my own question.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »

Agreed. I have no real issue with Pitino, other than his awful white suits.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Oh by the way, Pitino paid for her abortion and admitted to paying her $3000. She claims he raped her (and remember, those claims are always factual) and offered her millions to shut up. The sleaze factor with Rick is pretty high for Vitale to worship him.

I do agree with the white suits being lame.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »
Oh by the way, Pitino paid for her abortion and admitted to paying her $3000. She claims he raped her (and remember, those claims are always factual) and offered her millions to shut up. The sleaze factor with Rick is pretty high for Vitale to worship him.

I do agree with the white suits being lame.

Well, abortions are legal. I'm not here to play moral police on someone I've never met, even if I would never pay for one or suggest someone get one. Rape is another matter but has that been proven?

All I really care about is whether Pitino plays inside the rules of college basketball. To my knowledge, he has done that better than Calipari, Boeheim, et al.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:37 AM »

I think post-Wooden you have three or four coaches that could be considered the best coach in college basketball.  I think you have Coach K and Pitino followed by Knight and Dean Smith.

I also think that if Pitino would have stayed at Kentucky, he probably matches or exceeds the number of national championships that Coach K has.

Yep no doubt.  But I think there is a difference between the personal stuff and the coach-related stuff.  Honestly I don't think I would want to hang out with most of these guys.  I mean I have interacted with some pretty successful coaches at lower than division one levels, and most of them are myopic control freaks.  That's great when it comes to doing their job, but doesn't make them a lot of fun to hang out with.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
Well, abortions are legal. I'm not here to play moral police on someone I've never met, even if I would never pay for one or suggest someone get one. Rape is another matter but has that been proven?

All I really care about is whether Pitino plays inside the rules of college basketball. To my knowledge, he has done that better than Calipari, Boeheim, et al.
Yup--far as we know there are no rules for banging the Strength Coach's wife in a public restaurant, creating a real mess for the University and athletic program. Now, Boehein is a whole different scene. But if you don't break any rules, you can be worshipped by some. Hey, anything goes. It is all good.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »
I think post-Wooden you have three or four coaches that could be considered the best coach in college basketball.  I think you have Coach K and Pitino followed by Knight and Dean Smith.

I also think that if Pitino would have stayed at Kentucky, he probably matches or exceeds the number of national championships that Coach K has.

Yep no doubt.  But I think there is a difference between the personal stuff and the coach-related stuff.  Honestly I don't think I would want to hang out with most of these guys.  I mean I have interacted with some pretty successful coaches at lower than division one levels, and most of them are myopic control freaks.  That's great when it comes to doing their job, but doesn't make them a lot of fun to hang out with.
Somewhere I see a song in all this. "The World is Run by Control Freaks", or maybe "Narcissism is Nice"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
Cuonzo can coach.  I would have been happy with him at MU.

But can he recruit like Wojo.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »
But can he recruit like Wojo.

NOPE!

2014 recruiting class is terrible with a 2 star and a not ranked.  Nothing on the docket yet for 2015, but Cal is pursuing several 4 star recruits along with a 5 star.  Martin is a good coach, but has yet to prove himself in the recruiting world.  You could technically argue that Brian Wardle has done a better job recruiting than Martin. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »
NOPE!

2014 recruiting class is terrible with a 2 star and a not ranked.  Nothing on the docket yet for 2015, but Cal is pursuing several 4 star recruits along with a 5 star.  Martin is a good coach, but has yet to prove himself in the recruiting world.  You could technically argue that Brian Wardle has done a better job recruiting than Martin. 

Ivan Rabb has Cal on his final list.