[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Arizona State adding men's DI hockey  (Read 10392 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Arizona State adding men's DI hockey
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
In terms of nhl players there's some from Cali but not loads here's a graph showing trends

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_USPlayers.php

That graph is about players born in a particular area.  A number of the state's better players out here weren't born here, but moved here when the players were young.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »
That graph is about players born in a particular area.  A number of the state's better players out here weren't born here, but moved here when the players were young.

So what you are saying is there is no home grown talent?  Just imported?  Just goofing with you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:08:53 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »
Don't forget the hosers.... Recruiting a Canuck to ASU would be as difficult as trying to recruit a fly to a smelly turd.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »
What do you call Tom Crean on ASU's campus?

Camouflaged.
SS Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 07:44:37 AM »
Surprisingly, this is UConn's first year in D1 hockey.  They have been playing above expectations and their games at the XL Center in Hartford have been selling out.

My local NCAA hockey powerhouses Yale & Quinnipiac are at least 50% Canadians and Connecticut has always produced good talent.  Only Minnesota had more Olympians than Connecticut on the hockey team in Sochi.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »
I'm not sure I'd go that far.
Most of the talent is still coming out of Minnesota, Michigan, some Wisconsin and Illinois and the northeast.
But whereas the southwest/west coast used to produce no players (unless they were transplanted kids of NHL players), some homegrown kids are making into the NHL.

I may have overstated it a bit, but I based it on a few things.  The emergence of players from the Dallas and LA areas in the NHL and the growth of hockey in those areas over the last 10-15 years.  Looking at my alma mater's top 10 hockey program featuring 5 players this year, from those 2 states.  And the fact that, until ASU, there have been no college hockey programs in Texas or west of the Rockies for a LONG time, not counting Alaska.  So I would think that would make ASU even more of a potential draw.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
Surprisingly, this is UConn's first year in D1 hockey.  They have been playing above expectations and their games at the XL Center in Hartford have been selling out.

#icebus
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised to see hockey in general to become a big time college sport in the next 10 years. The problem is its so expensive. Would be nice to see MU field a team, especially with close proximity to the Petite for practices.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised to see hockey in general to become a big time college sport in the next 10 years. The problem is its so expensive. Would be nice to see MU field a team, especially with close proximity to the Petite for practices.

Granted, hockey is probably the most expensive of collegiate sports (on a per-participant basis), but keep in mind that hockey is a REVENUE SPORT.  Laugh if you may, but I'd be willing to bet hockey is profitable at a greater percentage of participating D-I schools than football is at FBS schools.

Heck... once you have your own ice rink (which is, most times, donated by the alumni), you've cut your expense budget by at least a quarter (maybe a third), making it even more profitable... aaannnnddddd games are almost always Friday and Saturday nights, which is very attractive for the student life folks.

However, varsity hockey probably wouldn't work at MU.  Schools like ASU and UCONN can half-fill an arena with just their students (which are an important key for gaining a foothold with a new sport), and that's if only 15-20% of the student body attends.  MU couldn't fill half the seats in the BC even if most of the U/G student population attended games.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
That said, I would be one of the first in line for season tickets to MU Hockey.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
The whole hockey thing is a mystery to me.

I get that big-time D1 programs and NHL teams have rabid fans and can make big $$.  Yet, even when you go to a place where college and/or pro teams are very successful, the fan base still seems very small overall.  I can say this first hand, as I live in Minnesota...where we have a consistent top 5 college team and one of the participants from last year's Stanley Cup.  And yet, when I've asked around about which teams (and sports) people follow the most around here...they will usually start with the Vikings...then the Twins...then the T-Wolves...and often never even mention the Wild (or Gophers).  Again, those who follow hockey are VERY into it - a Wild fan will often mention them and no other team - but yet they are still relatively sparse even up here in Hockey, USA.

Kind of a niche sport, but one with very devoted fans.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
Surprisingly, I wonder why MU has never decided to venture off on this route.  Does anyone have any insight?  The Bradley Center was built for Hockey, and I think a college team would almost be better than an NHL squad for the city of Milwaukee. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
ACHA is a very competitive leaugue...ASU, Penn State, Alabama Huntsville among the teams who have taken a step up. Went to the championship game in Ames at ISU in front of a sell out crowd of 18,000. Arizona at one time had the Ducks money coming in from Eisner whose son played there. Sold out in Tempe too at the time. Big because no Title IV restrictions.

http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »
Surprisingly, I wonder why MU has never decided to venture off on this route.  Does anyone have any insight?  The Bradley Center was built for Hockey, and I think a college team would almost be better than an NHL squad for the city of Milwaukee. 

1. Adding men's hockey means you have to add a corresponding women's sport.

2. Bradley Center isn't going to give up Friday and Saturday nights to Marquette, which is when college hockey is traditionally played.