[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you want Ners banned?

Yes
161 (53.7%)
No
139 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 298

Voting closed: November 25, 2014, 11:21:46 AM

Author Topic: Should Ners be banned?  (Read 53878 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Should Ners be banned?
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
I don't think Ners should leave. There are certain posters whose relentless, unwarranted praise of Derrick probably provoke Ners into setting the record straight. These same posters continually "poke the bear," then complain we he brings up his points. It takes two to tango. The same goes for everybody who whines about Chicos.
I support Derrick, simply because Ners is relentlessly attacking him. Derrick has always given 100%. He is not a great player, but he is a great teammate and does not deserve to relentlessly attacked. The criticism should have been on Buzz for not recruiting a better point guard. It is quite obvious this season that Dawson is not a better point guard than Derrick.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
Question for Ners. 

What does Ners mean, stand for?  If you're not comfortable divulging, how do you pronounce it?  N'ers or ners?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer, love the show!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
Ners is a dork

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
Question for Ners. 

What does Ners mean, stand for?  If you're not comfortable divulging, how do you pronounce it?  N'ers or ners?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer, love the show!

If I'm not mistaken there was a post last year of the real life Ners having something to do with owning a yogurt chain.  I believe 'Ners' is derived from a portion of his name.  I'm not certain but I think you can search for it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there was a post last year of the real life Ners having something to do with owning a yogurt chain.  I believe 'Ners' is derived from a portion of his name.  I'm not certain but I think you can search for it.

Menchie's or Red Mango?

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »
Based on the vote:

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »
I don't think Ners should leave. There are certain posters whose relentless, unwarranted praise of Derrick probably provoke Ners into setting the record straight. These same posters continually "poke the bear," then complain we he brings up his points. It takes two to tango. The same goes for everybody who whines about Chicos.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Ners hijacks basketball threads with basketball opinion.  I get tired of it, but the heart is in the right place.

I'll take Ners over the half dozen or so Chicos trolls, who hijack basketball threads to spew personal animus.  While some of them may have been slighted at some point, how long should a grudge be held?  They need to take a break, IMHO, and reconsider what made them originally choose to become part of the Marquette Family.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »
Based on the vote:

-10 pts.

This animated gif can only be used for the hiring of a new coach or the recruitment of a 4 or 5 star recruit.  This is the equivalent of taking a 3 point shot when you're up 30, with 2 minutes to go. 

brandx

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2014, 05:23:25 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree.

Ners hijacks basketball threads with basketball opinion.  I get tired of it, but the heart is in the right place.

I'll take Ners over the half dozen or so Chicos trolls, who hijack basketball threads to spew personal animus.  While some of them may have been slighted at some point, how long should a grudge be held?  They need to take a break, IMHO, and reconsider what made them originally choose to become part of the Marquette Family.

Just to set the record straight: I attack Chicos because he lied about me calling his wife a liar on this board. He has repeated the lie often.

That's it. I was never slighted nor do I hold a grudge. It is simply based on what he said and continues to say.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
I bring word from the Dark Lord that he isn't happy about the Ners, potential ban.  He feels that many of the posters against him, don't bring much entertainment value themselves.  It's a classic case of groupthink.  Those with boring conversation, huddle together, feeling the camaraderie.  Instead, what they're doing is trying to eliminate a voice that is different.  Oooooooh........ I'm scared of different !!!  I don't know what to do or how to acknowledge different because my life is boring !!!  Ahhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!  Let's ban him so I can go back to my normal white bread life. 

Ners will not be banned.   The Dark Lord hath put a plan in motion.  He is disgusted that many of you would turn against your brethren. 

UNITY shall prevail, not this petty divide and conquer mantra.  You are weak like Juan Andersen in the paint. 

And I thought I posted too often. By the end of the night you'll be averaging over 20 a day. I'm at under 1.5. You have returned and not missed a beat.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
And I thought I posted too often. By the end of the night you'll be averaging over 20 a day. I'm at under 1.5. You have returned and not missed a beat.

You speaketh of the Dark Lord.  He shall arrive soon.  I .... am but a messenger. 

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2014, 06:03:34 PM »
Dark Lorde
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:05:40 PM by warriorstrack »

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
Dark Lorde

That was a pretty funny episode.  Loved the Black Friday episode last year.  I was in tears.  Do you  know if they're making another one this year?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »
I'm totally willing to admit that I'm wrong.

Show me a post where Sultan (or anybody for that matter) has praised Derrick Wilson.

Ironically, the closest thing we have is probably something from NERS last year comparing Derrick to Aaron Craft.

You can't be serious. He was praised relentlessly last year by numerous posters.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
You can't be serious. He was praised relentlessly last year by numerous posters.

Honestly, I did take a break from MU Scoop for a position of last season. 

Did I just miss the "numerous posters" and the "relentless praise" portion of the season?

Help me out, guys.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
I haven't posted in a long long time.

There are so many things about MU basketball that could/should be discussed,  but those threads are few and far between.

Making things worse, when there is actually the start to a good thread,  it is quickly hijacked by the usual suspects and devolves into total garbage....usually completely off-topic......usually a pissing match.

For this reason,  I voted "yes" to a voluntary ban.

I propose anyone who has been banned, be exiled to Rivals island.  Maybe Scoop would be readable again.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
How about a Scoop Survivor game?

Every month annoying posters get placed on the chopping block.  The one with the most votes gets exiled to Rivals Island.  Every 6 months one exiled poster can get voted back to Scoop. 

Jeff Probst will host

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

Every month annoying posters get placed on the chopping block.  The one with the most votes gets exiled to Rivals Island.  Every 6 months one exiled poster can get voted back to Scoop. 

Jeff Probst will host

Maybe we should do scoop survivor where we vote someone off each week!

Ahem nobody likes a copycat! Jk I'm sure you weren't.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

Jeff Probst will host

Why don't we just have an MUScoop pick up game and the losers buy the winners dinner and drinks.  It'd be a great bonding experience and would definitely make this place more interesting.  We could get MUTV to record it and post it on here for all of those who cannot attend. 

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
Ahem nobody likes a copycat! Jk I'm sure you weren't.

My subconscious loves the idea!  ;D

connie

• All American
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
I support Derrick, simply because Ners is relentlessly attacking him. Derrick has always given 100%. He is not a great player, but he is a great teammate and does not deserve to relentlessly attacked. The criticism should have been on Buzz for not recruiting a better point guard. It is quite obvious this season that Dawson is not a better point guard than Derrick.
Another example of the oft repeated fallacy that there is "relentless unwarranted praise of Derrick."  This simply is not true.  I cannot remember one example of a poster relentlessly praising Derrick for anything other than being an outstanding teammate---a judgement I believe Ners shares.  That is what is so frustrating to me about this entire topic.  The debate really concerns whether or not Derrick was the best of the available bad options.  This year our options are different, and I wish Ners and the board would concentrate on that, not the f'd up disaster that played out last year.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »
Another example of the oft repeated fallacy that there is "relentless unwarranted praise of Derrick."  This simply is not true.  I cannot remember one example of a poster relentlessly praising Derrick for anything other than being an outstanding teammate---a judgement I believe Ners shares.  That is what is so frustrating to me about this entire topic.  The debate really concerns whether or not Derrick was the best of the available bad options.  This year our options are different, and I wish Ners and the board would concentrate on that, not the f'd up disaster that played out last year.

+ 100 for being rational of which I should not have to give out, but when this forum is a sea of teenagers in 20-something bodies that lack core fundamentals, then expected behavior shall be praised.  Well written Connie.  I shall inform the Dark Lord of your esteemed character. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
Another example of the oft repeated fallacy that there is "relentless unwarranted praise of Derrick."  This simply is not true.  I cannot remember one example of a poster relentlessly praising Derrick for anything other than being an outstanding teammate---a judgement I believe Ners shares.  That is what is so frustrating to me about this entire topic.  The debate really concerns whether or not Derrick was the best of the available bad options.  This year our options are different, and I wish Ners and the board would concentrate on that, not the f'd up disaster that played out last year.

Good description of last year's issue.  Ners' problem this season is that he hasn't yet come to grips with the fact that Derrick is still a better option than John...even though it now means that Derrick is option 2 or 3 (depending on whether Duane is played at PG or SG), and that John is still behind him - as option 3 or 4.

That's right - I'm a "Derrick supporter", and I'm saying that he is the second or third best PG this season...only ahead of John.  I guess that counts as "relentless unwarranted praise."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:48:12 PM by GooooMarquette »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »

Praised, or merely defended?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »

How do y'all get Ners outta Pinkberry?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"