'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: tOSU's defense  (Read 1672 times)

tower912

• All American
tOSU's defense
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »
What did you all think of the combination of defenses that the Buckeye's used?   I cannot recall anyone ever using man pressure until the offensive team has a clean possession in the frontcourt and then falling back into a spread-out 2-3 zone.   I thought Wojo's zone offense scheme was quite effective (just too many missed shots)    But slowing up a team bringing up the ball and not allowing them to get into their offense until 10-15 seconds have gone off of the shotclock, thereby limiting the amount of time for ball reversals is an interesting theory.   What say you?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: tOSU's defense
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
Do you think it is more of a gamble then pressing and going to man?  Seems like there could be some confusion with guys left open if the press is broken when you are trying to set up the zone.  The press worked well to slow MU down, but they did well against the zone once on offense.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Really liked the concept. Less time for the offense to work to get the ball to the middle.

Will be interesting to see if OSU stays with the zone. Frankly, MU really attacked it well. MU got a lot of good looks from the arc and Taylor had a great game. OSU is going to face much better shooting teams than MU this year, and stronger bigs than Steve Taylor. I thought they did a poor job keeping the ball out of the middle.

Watch 'Cuse in their zone, the wings make it extremely difficult to hit that flasher at the free throw line or elbow. It was fairly easy for MU.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
Against Marquette's "shoot it if you're open" philosophy this year I don't think burning the first 10-15 seconds of the shot clock matters much.  It might against a more deliberate team, i.e., Buzz's philosophy of requiring a paint touch first, but I don't recall Marquette being pushed up against a shot clock violation.  Part of that may simply be because their zone had some gaping holes in it and it was relatively easy to find a good shot.

Steve Taylor is probably begging every opponent to run zone against MU.  Are there any advanced statistics out there that show his offensive rating against a zone vs. man-to-man?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »
Against Marquette's "shoot it if you're open" philosophy this year I don't think burning the first 10-15 seconds of the shot clock matters much.  It might against a more deliberate team, i.e., Buzz's philosophy of requiring a paint touch first, but I don't recall Marquette being pushed up against a shot clock violation.  Part of that may simply be because their zone had some gaping holes in it and it was relatively easy to find a good shot.

Steve Taylor is probably begging every opponent to run zone against MU.  Are there any advanced statistics out there that show his offensive rating against a zone vs. man-to-man?

IIRC, both of Derrick's 3 pt attempts were up against the shot clock. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
I am pretty shure the press Ohio St. used was a zone press, which seemed to cunfuse us.

feedback