[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Steve Taylor.....  (Read 11195 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor.....
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
The fact that Steve Taylor is a liability on defense plays much into Buzz's actions.  The same can be said for Juan Andersen's playing time during his tenure.  Both players were clueless on defense tonight.  Next time MU plays, watch Taylor by the basket on defense.  Several times he didn't help out against other players in the paint vs. Ohio St. and let his man abuse him in transition.  Sure, he looks solid on offense - minus the several times the ball was stripped/blocked, but he has a long way to go on defense.  The same goes for the whole team.  But hey...... that's youth.  If Taylor wants, he could be NBA material.  He's going to have to work very hard though.  Potential is definitely there.  Hopefully Wojo can guide him along. 

Agree with everything except that Steve could be NBA material. He can't handle, shoot or guard the perimeter so playing the 3 (his natural NBA position) is out. He's intimidated into missing an inordinate number of inside shots at the college level so I can't see him at the 4 in the NBA. Before we talk NBA I'd like to see him become an above average high D1 college player - the potential is definitely there for that if he works very hard. Let's see him climb that mountain first.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »
I think he did a good job, but I think posters are getting over excited about this game. The same for JJJ the last game, who has only put up big numbers against weak teams. The same for Juan who looked really good in an exhibition game agaisnt a division 2 team. There will be great games during the season by most of our players, but there is no player on this team that can do it night in and night out.

Our team is coming off a poor season, we have a new coach, we have an eye on a new era starting next season.

Mostly, we are fans and we are desperately looking for reasons to be excited about this season. So yeah, the realist in me agrees with you but the fan in me wants more!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 05:32:45 PM »
Agree with everything except that Steve could be NBA material. He can't handle, shoot or guard the perimeter so playing the 3 (his natural NBA position) is out. He's intimidated into missing an inordinate number of inside shots at the college level so I can't see him at the 4 in the NBA. Before we talk NBA I'd like to see him become an above average high D1 college player - the potential is definitely there for that if he works very hard. Let's see him climb that mountain first.

Give STjr a chance to grow. I want to see him grow and I think he has a lot of talent. He has a new coach who sees something in him.

I'm not sure what his top-out is. I'd like to think he might, just maybe, play beyond MU. We'll see.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »

I agree, which is why I said it would take a lot of hard work.  Wes Matthews wasn't NBA material during his sophomore season either, heck, he didn't even get drafted.  A lot can happen in 2.5 years.  Look at Jimmy Butler in his 3rd NBA season.  The guy is putting together a complete, all around game now as he's starting to shoot much better.  He's going to have a better pro career than college. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »
Steve is a stretch 4.

Problem is: MU has him playing 5, and Steve's not great at the stretch part (yet).

He does have really good hands, and decent footwork.

Needs more urgency and intensity on the defensive end.

I think the injury was a pretty big set-back, and his ceiling is still pretty high. Could be a really good college PF.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
Steve is a stretch 4.

Problem is: MU has him playing 5, and Steve's not great at the stretch part (yet).

He does have really good hands, and decent footwork.

Needs more urgency and intensity on the defensive end.

I think the injury was a pretty big set-back, and his ceiling is still pretty high. Could be a really good college PF.

Part of the problem is that the opposing interior defense can focus on him entirely since there aren't any other threats inside.  But yes, he lacks any type of prowess on defense.  People wonder why he didn't play much last year and this is the reason why.  He gives up easy buckets to the opponent.  That was biggest red flag on him for me against OSU.  The team as a whole on defense must improve.  It will be interesting to see how they progress under Wojo.  Great coaches adjust to adversity.  Here's a chance for Wojo to show us what's he's got on this end of the coaching spectrum.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Give STjr a chance to grow. I want to see him grow and I think he has a lot of talent. He has a new coach who sees something in him.

I'm not sure what his top-out is. I'd like to think he might, just maybe, play beyond MU. We'll see.

It's not a growth thing. It's an athleticism thing. Watch an NBA game and tell me what Taylor would do out there. I mean who is he going to guard?

Steve is one of those guys who can be a vet good college player, and could have a long career overseas, but NBA?  I can't see it.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »
It's not a growth thing. It's an athleticism thing. Watch an NBA game and tell me what Taylor would do out there. I mean who is he going to guard?

Steve is one of those guys who can be a vet good college player, and could have a long career overseas, but NBA?  I can't see it.

I was thinking more 12th man with majority of his playing career in NBDL......similar to Lazar Hayward or Jae Crowder. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
I was thinking more 12th man with majority of his playing career in NBDL......similar to Lazar Hayward or Jae Crowder. 

Given that Lazar and Jae were better college players than Taylor will ever be, this thinking of yours is flawed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:23 PM »

Totally agree. In the NBA, you are what you can guard. Steve can't guard 3's in the NBA and 4's are too big and strong.