'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[Today at 04:13:05 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 04:09:09 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Zog from Margo
[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor.....  (Read 11218 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Steve Taylor.....
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:57:36 PM »
......Played really, really well.  Was very tough on offense.

This team will be very, very good.

Needs to mature.  Needs to gel. 

I am very excited about this team.

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor.....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:37 AM »
......Played really, really well.  Was very tough on offense.

This team will be very, very good.

Needs to mature.  Needs to gel. 

I am very excited about this team.

Gotta wonder WTF Williams was thinking with ST last year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »
Just watched the replay. Sandy Cohen will be something special as well. Gotta think he has the best chance to break McNeals scoring record just because he has a lit of opportunities to play the next 4 years.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:42:32 AM »

The fact that Steve Taylor is a liability on defense plays much into Buzz's actions.  The same can be said for Juan Andersen's playing time during his tenure.  Both players were clueless on defense tonight.  Next time MU plays, watch Taylor by the basket on defense.  Several times he didn't help out against other players in the paint vs. Ohio St. and let his man abuse him in transition.  Sure, he looks solid on offense - minus the several times the ball was stripped/blocked, but he has a long way to go on defense.  The same goes for the whole team.  But hey...... that's youth.  If Taylor wants, he could be NBA material.  He's going to have to work very hard though.  Potential is definitely there.  Hopefully Wojo can guide him along. 

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:55:22 AM »
The fact that Steve Taylor is a liability on defense plays much into Buzz's actions.  The same can be said for Juan Andersen's playing time during his tenure.  Both players were clueless on defense tonight.  Next time MU plays, watch Taylor by the basket on defense.  Several times he didn't help out against other players in the paint vs. Ohio St. and let his man abuse him in transition.  Sure, he looks solid on offense - minus the several times the ball was stripped/blocked, but he has a long way to go on defense.  The same goes for the whole team.  But hey...... that's youth.  If Taylor wants, he could be NBA material.  He's going to have to work very hard though.  Potential is definitely there.  Hopefully Wojo can guide him along. 

Bingo!  Give this man a cigar!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »
I think the improvement I'd like to see most for ST is finishing at the basket.  Easier said than done of course, but with our lack of size we need that big man ability even more.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I had issues with some of Williams' decisions last year, but let's remember Taylor does well against zones like OSU employed last night.  Even under Buzz he had good games against zones.  Let's see how he plays against tough man-to-man defenses.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:49 AM »
Don't forget too that he was coming off the knee surgery last year...his lack of mobility was noticeable.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 07:14:26 AM »
STJR should have had 30. His production was more a statement of tOSU's zone problems than ST playing really, really well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
STJR should have had 30. His production was more a statement of tOSU's zone problems than ST playing really, really well.

+1.

Nothing more refreshing that being able to break a zone.

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 07:38:59 AM »

That and STjr is slow off the dribble. He's incredible when he takes the one step. As soon as he puts the ball on the floor he's flooded with defenders. He slows his trigger from half a second to nearly two seconds.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
Many are harping about Teve missing some bunnies early. It's safe to say he (and the team) were nervous and tight at the beginning of the game. He relaxed and adjusted and made his close shots as the game went on. Yes, defense needs work and they should improve as the season wears on and they become more used to Wojo's system. Everyone has to remember we're a short, inexperienced, undermanned team playing for a new coach in his first head coaching job. It's gonna take some time for everyone to learn as the season goes on.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
Great at breaking the zone; being in the right spot on offense, not so great when someone was guarding him, pretty bad on defense.  He is really important for this team and last night did not make me feel great about that.  I did like the team overall, just a tough game. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »

Great couple posts and I agree except for one point.

For all his harping, Buzz's defense was crap
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
Great couple posts and I agree except for one point.

For all his harping, Buzz's defense was crap

Henry - to my old eyes our defense in the second half looked like the worst I'd ever seen in 48 years of watching Marquette basketball. What do your numbers say? Thanks in advance.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
Henry - to my old eyes our defense in the second half looked like the worst I'd ever seen in 48 years of watching Marquette basketball. What do your numbers say? Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the last 48 years, but it was their second worst since 2000. The worst? Home game against Creighton last year.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 09:30:25 AM »
I posted the stats here

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45290.0

Yeah, the defensive eFG% was crap last night. On the other hand, it's far too early to say that Wojo's defensive scheme is crap. I'm pretty comfortable saying that about Buzz.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »
I haven't seen so many underneath the basket, reverse layups since the mighty Ousmane Barro.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
He scored a lot of points against Ohio St, but I was not impressed with him. At least half of his points were uncontested as there was a whole in the middle of Ohio St. defense. When his shots were contested he generally missed the shots. There were at least two times he had the ball low and passed it out and the subsequent shots were missed. I think all of Ohio St.'s bigmen were more athletic than Taylor. Given the same opportunities last night Gardner would of scored 30 points.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
He scored a lot of points against Ohio St, but I was not impressed with him. At least half of his points were uncontested as there was a whole in the middle of Ohio St. defense. When his shots were contested he generally missed the shots. There were at least two times he had the ball low and passed it out and the subsequent shots were missed. I think all of Ohio St.'s bigmen were more athletic than Taylor. Given the same opportunities last night Gardner would of scored 30 points.

I agree with you that given the same opportunities , Gardner would have scored 30. However, I think given the circumstances, STJr played very well. There is an incredible amount of pressure on him given our lack of size, throw in a hostile crowd and his own lack of playing experience, I think he did a good job.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
I think he did a good job, but I think posters are getting over excited about this game. The same for JJJ the last game, who has only put up big numbers against weak teams. The same for Juan who looked really good in an exhibition game agaisnt a division 2 team. There will be great games during the season by most of our players, but there is no player on this team that can do it night in and night out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
If Taylor wants, he could be NBA material.  He's going to have to work very hard though.  Potential is definitely there.  Hopefully Wojo can guide him along. 

Steve Taylor's lack of athleticism means he isn't going to be in the NBA.  He is a below the basket throwback. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
I think he did a good job, but I think posters are getting over excited about this game. The same for JJJ the last game, who has only put up big numbers against weak teams. The same for Juan who looked really good in an exhibition game agaisnt a division 2 team. There will be great games during the season by most of our players, but there is no player on this team that can do it night in and night out.
Good point about consistency. I think there will be at least 5 and maybe 6 guys this year who reach the 20 point mark. I agree it won't be consistent though. That said there may be some big games where we can get 3 guys to be hot at the same time and we pull off an upset.

I think we are going to have learn how to play on the road . Are guys were visibly flustered.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:58 PM »
STJR shot under 40% last year albeit in limited time... But under 40% for a big guy is turrible.   He should've had close to 30. He's got a way to go especially on defense
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
Finding a golden parachute after he was shown the wall handwriting.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.