[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kevon Looney off to nice start  (Read 7205 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Kevon Looney off to nice start
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »
UCLA guys out here have been impressed.  It's funny, most of them had no idea who he was because he isn't a west coast guy.  Had a double double on Sunday with 17 points.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Kevon Looney off to nice start
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
He looked really good against Coastal Carolina. Rebounding machine.

By the way, is there a worse arena atmosphere than Pauly? About half full...no seats behind the baskets...quiet as a church.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »

By the way, is there a worse arena atmosphere than Pauly? About half full...no seats behind the baskets...quiet as a church.

That due to the flooding there a few months ago?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
That due to the flooding there a few months ago?

No. They've never had seats behind the baskets. Lots of dead, empty space.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »

It's better now since they redid things last year.  Now there are actually some seats surrounding the basket.  I didn't see the game on Sunday, but when they redid Pauly 2 years ago they centered the court.  This year they apparently changed the student seating, but I haven't heard how that looks yet.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
No. They've never had seats behind the baskets. Lots of dead, empty space.

They do now, they changed it with the redesign.  It's not perfect by any stretch, but better than the old configuration IMO.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
They do now, they changed it with the redesign.  It's not perfect by any stretch, but better than the old configuration IMO.

Why is the place always so dead? Haven't been to Pauly in years, but every game I catch on TV makes it look like a library.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »
UCLA guys out here have been impressed.  It's funny, most of them had no idea who he was because he isn't a west coast guy.  Had a double double on Sunday with 17 points.

Most UCLA guys had no idea who a 5*, top 20 guy is because he's not from the west coast? Really? Internet unavailable to most out there? :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
When's he transferring to MU?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
When's he transferring to MU?

Hold on....don't get crazy.

Tokoto has to come first.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
Most UCLA guys had no idea who a 5*, top 20 guy is because he's not from the west coast? Really? Internet unavailable to most out there? :)

I remember when I chose to go to college outside of California, one of only 3 students in my class to do so.  You would have thought we had a 3rd eyeball in our forehead.  A lot of people are in a different world out here. 

There's also the reverse bias.  They see the ratings and pub, but especially from a state like Wisconsin and similar states, they don't believe the hype because of the competition until they see it first hand.  Just how they are.  Plenty of high ranking guys have come into UCLA for the last decade from outside the state that were overhyped so a bunch of fans wait to see it.  For whatever reason, nowhere near the pub that Shabazz or other top recruits to UCLA gathered.  Next to none out here....can't explain it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Why is the place always so dead? Haven't been to Pauly in years, but every game I catch on TV makes it look like a library.

Depends on the opponent.  I go to a few games a year typically.  Pac 12 games the place can be pretty good, but definitely at the end of the Howland era the student apathy had kicked in and it wasn't sexy enough to win anymore, so fans weren't showing up. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
I remember when I chose to go to college outside of California, one of only 3 students in my class to do so.  You would have thought we had a 3rd eyeball in our forehead.  A lot of people are in a different world out here. 

Doesn't surprise me at all.  One of my son's good friends went out to California after graduation.  None of the friends she made out there had every really been anywhere in the United States outside of Colorado and some spots on the coasts.  Most of them had hardly left California and were not planning to at any point in their lives.  (Although life takes everyone places they don't expect.)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
For those of you south of the border in the Milwaukee suburb of Chicago, Kevon and UCLA will be playin' in your hood around Xmas. Also, in the Bahamas durin' Thansgivin'. Was one mock draft where he was projected to go #15 to the Bucks in the next draft. Would be nice for the entire Looney clan. Personally, I think he goes earlier.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
For those of you south of the border in the Milwaukee suburb of Chicago, Kevon and UCLA will be playin' in your hood around Xmas. Also, in the Bahamas durin' Thansgivin'. Was one mock draft where he was projected to go #15 to the Bucks in the next draft. Would be nice for the entire Looney clan. Personally, I think he goes earlier.

He's droppin' out to enter the NBADL Draft like Toddler?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »

Hold on....don't get crazy.

Tokoto has to come first.

Shoot you're right, only 1 schollie left to offer, no room for both.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »

There's also the reverse bias.  They see the ratings and pub, but especially from a state like Wisconsin and similar states, they don't believe the hype because of the competition until they see it first hand.  Just how they are.  Plenty of high ranking guys have come into UCLA for the last decade from outside the state that were overhyped so a bunch of fans wait to see it.  For whatever reason, nowhere near the pub that Shabazz or other top recruits to UCLA gathered.  Next to none out here....can't explain it.

I was in a Chicago wedding with a bunch of California guys who mostly went to Santa Clara - and all were bright guys.  We were in a trolley going up LSD and they were amazed at "that huge lake".  What was that, they all asked.  They had no concept of the size and scale of the Great Lakes.  No idea at all.  It was hilarious and terrifying all at the same time.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
I was in a Chicago wedding with a bunch of California guys who mostly went to Santa Clara - and all were bright guys.  We were in a trolley going up LSD and they were amazed at "that huge lake".  What was that, they all asked.  They had no concept of the size and scale of the Great Lakes.  No idea at all.  It was hilarious and terrifying all at the same time.

My buddy, from Boston, freshman year was staring out of a window of the 11th floor of McCormick before going out one night and goes "man, Lake Michigan looks so much like the Atlantic it scares me" to which my other friend replied "well, large bodies of water tend to look alike".

8 years later I still get a kick out of that story.
Bring back FFP!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »
My old roommate went to USC for grad school, and the majority of his grad school friends are from the West Coast, or are East Coast transplants, and its shocking how little they know about the Midwest.  I sometimes take Chicago for granted, but its the 3rd largest city in the US.  These people talk about it like its visiting Shanghai.  Something you might do once.  I get the NYC-centric arrogance, but its hilarious to hear people from Boston or DC talk like Chicago is some hillbilly outpost in a flyover state.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »
My old roommate went to USC for grad school, and the majority of his grad school friends are from the West Coast, or are East Coast transplants, and its shocking how little they know about the Midwest.  I sometimes take Chicago for granted, but its the 3rd largest city in the US.  These people talk about it like its visiting Shanghai.  Something you might do once.  I get the NYC-centric arrogance, but its hilarious to hear people from Boston or DC talk like Chicago is some hillbilly outpost in a flyover state.
You mean it's not.

You walked right into that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
So, I'm gonna keep trumpetin' my man, Kevon, 'cuz as they say, I'm all in. If ya haven't gotten the email, he's averagin' 18.5 and 12.5 boards. NBA lotto, here he comes. All he's gotta do is remain healthy. Alford picked everyone's pocket and came back to Westwood with a winner. Best part about Looney, is he's a super, super nice kid and human bein'. Raised right, respectful, and humble. I'll bet my last scheckle that you'll never read 'bout Kevon beatin' the chit outta anyone but his basketball opponent.
Here's a hypothetical for ya---Were Looney a high school senior this year, could Wojo have lured him to MU? Timin' is everythin' in life, aina? I was privy to some discussion 'bout matriculatin' on Wisconsin Ave. Truth is #5 and his family were ready to have him leave the friendly confines. Yet, I know Bumstead was not looked on favorably. Somethin' 'bout not trustin' him. Perceptive folks, hey? Wonder if Wojo coulda sold him on our beloved? And no, it was Coach K, and not, Wojo who was Kevon's lead recruiter while Duke was involved.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
So, I'm gonna keep trumpetin' my man, Kevon, 'cuz as they say, I'm all in. If ya haven't gotten the email, he's averagin' 18.5 and 12.5 boards. NBA lotto, here he comes. All he's gotta do is remain healthy. Alford picked everyone's pocket and came back to Westwood with a winner. Best part about Looney, is he's a super, super nice kid and human bein'. Raised right, respectful, and humble. I'll bet my last scheckle that you'll never read 'bout Kevon beatin' the chit outta anyone but his basketball opponent.
Here's a hypothetical for ya---Were Looney a high school senior this year, could Wojo have lured him to MU? Timin' is everythin' in life, aina? I was privy to some discussion 'bout matriculatin' on Wisconsin Ave. Truth is #5 and his family were ready to have him leave the friendly confines. Yet, I know Bumstead was not looked on favorably. Somethin' 'bout not trustin' him. Perceptive folks, hey? Wonder if Wojo coulda sold him on our beloved? And no, it was Coach K, and not, Wojo who was Kevon's lead recruiter while Duke was involved.

I'm with ya on this.

Think there is an excellent chance that he's one-and-done and in the top 10 picks - depending on how many come out from Kentucky. Kinda like a poor man's KD.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »
My buddy, from Boston, freshman year was staring out of a window of the 11th floor of McCormick before going out one night and goes "man, Lake Michigan looks so much like the Atlantic it scares me" to which my other friend replied "well, large bodies of water tend to look alike".

8 years later I still get a kick out of that story.

As an East Coaster, I looked forward to visiting Milwaukee and Chicago when I went to Marquette.  I had an understanding of how big the Great Lakes were, but did not understand how COLD Lake Michigan was until I jumped into it in September with a couple of other Easterners I had met during Orientation.  We were wondering "Why isn't anybody swimming?"  Didn't take long to figure it out.  Yikes!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
As an East Coaster, I looked forward to visiting Milwaukee and Chicago when I went to Marquette.  I had an understanding of how big the Great Lakes were, but did not understand how COLD Lake Michigan was until I jumped into it in September with a couple of other Easterners I had met during Orientation.  We were wondering "Why isn't anybody swimming?"  Didn't take long to figure it out.  Yikes!

LOL! 
CTWarrior, I think I share the exact same story.  At least Long Island Sound warms up in the mid-to-high 70's in the summertime and is still very swimmable in September.  (September may even be warmer than most of June.)   

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »

Your correct. Paid crowd 5,231 versus Nicholls State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback