[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee's Best Restaurants  (Read 4733 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Milwaukee's Best Restaurants
« on: November 01, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
Some topical highlights from the readers choice poll...

New restaurant:  Goodkind
Steak:  Mr. B's
Pizza:  Zaffiros
Burger:  Kopps
Italian:  Bartolotta
Mexican:  BelAir

http://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/bestofdining14roundup.html?viewall=1

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Milwaukee's Best Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:35:12 AM »
Marcus theatres in Oakdale "has" a Zaffiro's in it.  Haven't been there yet.  Any good?  Does it compare to the one on the East side?

http://marcustheatres.com/Amenity/DiningOptions/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:37:45 AM by real chili 83 »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
Looking beyond the Sobelman's/ AJ Bombers battle, I think Oscars has a much better burger that Kopps.

I'd highly recommend purple door Ice cream to anyone, the Brandy Old Fashioned Ice Cream is great.

Also: did I just get a bad draw or does Odd Duck not have that great of service? Fairly disappointed in the brunch service the one time I was there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »
Looking beyond the Sobelman's/ AJ Bombers battle, I think Oscars has a much better burger that Kopps.

I'd highly recommend purple door Ice cream to anyone, the Brandy Old Fashioned Ice Cream is great.

Also: did I just get a bad draw or does Odd Duck not have that great of service? Fairly disappointed in the brunch service the one time I was there.

You mean Oscar's Pub, not Oscars Custard, correct? My rankings, in order, would go Jake's Burgers, Oscar's Pub, Sobleman's, Solly's, Elsa's for top 5. Kopps is good, but it's nothing more than a really good fast food burger. Certainly not the best Milwaukee has to offer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »

I loved Odd Duck, although I haven't been there for brunch.  My wife and I had fantastic service and excellent food. 

My favorite Mexican is probably Cempazzuchi, though I do also like Bel-Air.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
I just had dinner at The Noble about 3 weeks ago. It was really, really outstanding

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
I loved Odd Duck, although I haven't been there for brunch.  My wife and I had fantastic service and excellent food. 

My favorite Mexican is probably Cempazzuchi, though I do also like Bel-Air.

Sounds oddly more Italian than Mexican.
SS Marquette

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
You mean Oscar's Pub, not Oscars Custard, correct? My rankings, in order, would go Jake's Burgers, Oscar's Pub, Sobleman's, Solly's, Elsa's for top 5. Kopps is good, but it's nothing more than a really good fast food burger. Certainly not the best Milwaukee has to offer.

Yes, I think their official name is Oscar's on Pierce
Jakes is a fantastic burger. I had the wisconsin burger and whiskey peanut butter shake last time I was there. Absolutely recommend it. Always forget about Jakes when listing good Milwaukee burgers since it's in brookfield. It's probably the best of the burbs.  

I loved Odd Duck, although I haven't been there for brunch.  My wife and I had fantastic service and excellent food.  

Maybe I just got a bad hostess. Food was fine, but service didn't make it worth the hype.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
I've only eaten at BelAir once, but it was so bad I don't ever plan on going back.  I know lots of people like the place, but I don't understand it.  Maybe I just got the wrong thing or hit it on bad night.

Cempazuchi is pretty good, but for my money the best Mexican in the area is the Margarita Paradise stand at Milwaukee Public Market, hands down.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
I've only eaten at BelAir once, but it was so bad I don't ever plan on going back.  I know lots of people like the place, but I don't understand it.  Maybe I just got the wrong thing or hit it on bad night.

Cempazuchi is pretty good, but for my money the best Mexican in the area is the Margarita Paradise stand at Milwaukee Public Market, hands down.

I wouldn't say BelAir was bad when I went there, but overall I agree, I don't see what all the hype is about.  Okay but nothing to go crazy over.  I don't eat Mexican food a ton so I really haven't had a lot of what Milwaukee has to offer, but I think Hector's in Tosa is pretty good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »
Holy crap. After the game, the wife and I tried Christie's. It's on 13th about a block south of Oklahoma. Amazing. Simply unbelievable.

When I say unbelievable, I mean it. When you walk in, it feels like a dive bar. They have only one bartender and one cook, so you'll likely have to wait. But my lord is it worth the wait.

I had the burger, and it was probably the best burger I've had in Milwaukee. Definitely beats Bombers or Sobelman's. But what amazed me is while I was enjoying the burger, my wife's food was better.

She had the fruity chicken. It was a combination grilled/baked chicken breast with apples, oranges, and goat cheese (and other fruits). The mix of savory, sweet, and creamy was just amazing. One of the best dishes I've ever had. And the portions are huge, so unlike Sanford, you'll have glorious leftovers.

Try this place. Be prepared to wait, get an appetizer, be patient, and it's so worth it. It's just the two of them. We watched a couple walk out...their loss. And I know, it feels like you walked into a Riverwest dive and you have to eat at the bar, but seriously I don't know that better food exists in Milwaukee.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 11:56:52 PM »
Best frozen custard: Leon's.

By a mile.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
Any list that omits Chili and Fish Fry as categories is hardly legitimate.

Death on call

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
I wouldn't say BelAir was bad when I went there, but overall I agree, I don't see what all the hype is about.  Okay but nothing to go crazy over.  I don't eat Mexican food a ton so I really haven't had a lot of what Milwaukee has to offer, but I think Hector's in Tosa is pretty good.

Try BelAir again with the mind set that its not Mexican food, because it is not.  It is California fresh Mexican and is pretty good for that.  They have good Asian style tacos and burritos (ninja pig and Korean beef for example).  I'm not a big fan of Hector's although they do have some good salsa if you ask for the habanero version.  Cafe corazon in riverwest is my favorite mexican in milwaukee, it is very good.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
Oakland Gyros, a''inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 06:14:27 PM »
Marcus theatres in Oakdale "has" a Zaffiro's in it.  Haven't been there yet.  Any good?  Does it compare to the one on the East side?
Does not compare. Conveyor belt cooking ala Pizza Hut at Marcus vs. insanely hot, old-school pizza oven on Farwell. Crust is so much crispier at the actual place. Marcus isn't bad for suburban pie, but the real thing is so much better.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
My rankings, in order, would go Jake's Burgers, Oscar's Pub, Sobleman's, Solly's, Elsa's for top 5.
I would say you pretty much nailed it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 05:33:42 AM »
i was just at mr. B's a couple weeks ago-fantastic- it has been my "go to " steak place for years.   wards house of prime in either delafield or downtown is a must and i make prime rib at home about once per month.  zaffiros is always good, best at the east side restaurant, not bad at the theater. i've also found the old moma mia's in downtown  waukesha, now called just mia's because of a divorce , to be very good-their garlic cheese bread is the best, but better prepare for an extra 15-20 on the eliptical
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:43:48 AM »
Better to go grain free doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »
Favorite Italian is Mimma's on Brady Street.   Mimma herself who was a Sicilian immigrant still cooks.