[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Are college basketball transfers a problem?  (Read 2950 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Are college basketball transfers a problem?
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
Column: Are college basketball transfers a problem?

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2014/10/column-are-college-basketball-transfers-a-problem

The number is downright staggering.

Jeff Goodman, a college basketball reporter for ESPN, decided to publicize The Transfer List. It tracks every player who transferred to another school.

What do you think the number is? How many players transferred teams during the offseason between the 2013-14 and 2014-15 
seasons?

One hundred? Nope. Not even close.

Three hundred? Still pretty far away.

The answer is 616.

That’s right, 616 players in college basketball transferred teams during the 
offseason.

The IU men’s basketball program was involved in five transfer situations — it lost four players and gained one.

Austin Etherington went to Butler. Jeremy Hollowell went to Georgia State. Peter Jurkin went to East Tennessee State. Jonny Marlin went to Indiana Wesleyan.

And that list doesn’t include Luke Fischer, who transferred to Marquette before the start of the spring semester last season.

Junior guard Nick Zeisloft joins IU after transferring from Illinois State.

The Hoosiers aren’t the only major program afflicted. Butler lost five players due to transfers this season.

Is this a problem?

Frankly, I don’t know. I understand both sides of the argument.

I imagine you’re pretty upset you’re taking the time to read a column that doesn’t offer a solution.

But here’s what I can do for you. I talked to three people at Big Ten Media Day in Chicago who have more knowledge than I do on the subject.

Purdue men’s basketball coach Matt Painter, IU women’s basketball coach Teri Moren and IU men’s basketball coach Tom Crean all offered different insights about the issue of transfers in college basketball.

Tom Crean: “Everybody is right.”

Teams have to account for transfers.

Crean said it’s easier to transfer in college basketball opposed to other collegiate sports.

But is it too easy to transfer in college basketball?

“It’s not my decision,” 
Crean said.

“I didn’t make the rules ... I have not been asked by anybody in the sense of changing the rules. So I try to stay away from the hypotheticals the way they’re at. I think it’s like anything else — you deal with it the way it is.”

Crean said he doesn’t view it as a problem.

It is the way it is. Simple as that.

Teri Moren: “It’s a parent problem.”

Back when Moren played for Purdue, she thought about transferring. She told her parents she wasn’t getting the playing time she wanted.

Her parents had a 
message for her.

“They always said, ‘You’re not coming home,’” Moren said. “They made me figure it out. And I did.”

Parents today, Moren said, don’t hold their kids accountable enough. It’s not a player-specific problem.

Without a solid infrastructure, players don’t have a voice they can count on when they call home and say, “I don’t like it here.”

Moren realizes sometimes transfers are what’s best for a player. She will always try and help a player find a situation where she feels more comfortable, whether that be for more playing time or other reasons.

But some other reasons aren’t so legitimate, she said.

Moren has had starters who wanted to transfer. They were getting good minutes. They were one of the main options on the team. But they wanted out.

It’s those cases Moren doesn’t understand.

“They want to go out to the east, or the west,” 
Moren said.

“Those are the ones that are the head-scratchers. Those are when you go to the parents and say, ‘How are we letting our daughter do this?’ She’s getting minutes. She’s a starter, but she wants something different because it’s easy. It’s amazing why these kids do what they want to do.”

The program made a commitment to the player. Moren believes the player should honor his or her commitment if all is going well.

Matt Painter: “It’s our society.”

Purdue guard Ronnie Johnson transferred this offseason to Houston.

Johnson was a major contributor to the team, averaging the second-most minutes on the Boilermakers and averaging 10.8 points a game, also second on the team.

For Painter, it’s an example of how American society differs from other basketball societies around the world.

In America, players are constantly switching teams, whether that be high school teams, AAU teams or different USA basketball teams.

Internationally that doesn’t happen, he said. Players usually grow up with a single team and don’t have the options of switching teams that their American counterparts do.

“And people ask, ‘What are we gonna do about this?’” Painter said. “I’m like, ‘What do you mean? It’s our society. It’s how these young people are brought up.’”

There are more third parties in basketball than any other sport, Painter said.

High school coaches, AAU coaches, scouting services, — all of these different third parties have an influence in a player’s mind, he said.

“A lot of them just want to please,” Painter said. “But you can’t please anybody. It’s a vicious cycle for young people. They get somewhere, it doesn’t work right away, and they think they’ve made the wrong decision.”

tower912

• All American
Re: Are college basketball transfers a problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
If Buzz was still here and had 5 players transfer out, I wonder what the tone of the board would be.   Crean?    Still has a big defender.   On the plus side, it helps justify oversigning. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
Entitlement.

See it all the time in the workforce with folks under age 30 and especially kids out of college.  It's pretty funny to watch.  I've been on several Millenial task forces to speak to these folks and the lack of accountability sometimes is truly amazing.  They have their Harvard or Univ of Chicago degree and think that's where the story ends, give them $250k a year, a VP position and they get to make all the decisions.  We're coddling kids way too much in society and especially athletes.

Stick them in the dorms, give them a taste of the real world and let them thank you years later.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Entitlement.

See it all the time in the workforce with folks under age 30 and especially kids out of college.  It's pretty funny to watch.  I've been on several Millenial task forces to speak to these folks and the lack of accountability sometimes is truly amazing.  They have their Harvard or Univ of Chicago degree and think that's where the story ends, give them $250k a year, a VP position and they get to make all the decisions.  We're coddling kids way too much in society and especially athletes.

Stick them in the dorms, give them a taste of the real world and let them thank you years later.

Uhhhh.....what? ?-(

Didn't you just change companies for what is presumably a better opportunity for you?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »

Uhhhh.....what? ?-(

Didn't you just change companies for what is presumably a better opportunity for you?

Yeah, no kidding. Absolutely ridiculous.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 07:23:14 AM »
Problem may not be the correct word.   A fact of life is what they are.    They become a problem if a coach doesn't make allowances for them in his planning and recruiting.   As we have seen for several years and a couple of coaches now, transfers are the new normal.  There is no longer a stigma attached.    In a perfect world, every player would be committed to the school and the program, stay 4 years and get their degree.   That myth is over.   The situation at MU for the last 15 years is the norm.   Bo is the outlier. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »
Yeah, how dare these kids want to go to a place where they will actually play more? They commit to teams having little idea what it's actually going too be like when they get there, what's coming in behind them etc. Yet, to some, if they at some point determine they may have made the wrong decision, they should just "stick it out" even if it means they may end up riding the bench for four years, go through a coaching staff change, or stay in an academic situation that isn't suiting them.

Its a problem for coaches as it makes their jobs tougher (who the hell cares). Its a problem for the fans, as it can negatively impact how good your team is from one year to the next (see Coaches), but with more good team/school options for players today than ever before, frankly, the only real problem is the antiquated and monopolistic NCAA rule that forces them to sit out a year before being eligible to play.

Entitlement is right. Unfortunately it is entitlement on the part of those that think because they graduated from a particular Unversity, and buy tickets, they are entitled to a good basketball team, and entitled to suppose what is best for the players on said basketball team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Studies have shown the transfer rates for athletes are the same as the general student  population.  These are young adults (or minors when they commit) who in most cases, are making the first big decisions of their lives. They may be the first one in their families to go to college, or have a complex support system. It most cases, it is just better overall to move on.

This begs to question the real overall value of the concept of four year athletic scholarships.  While on paper that sounds good, this shows it has potential downsides as well.  Maybe that is why MU supports one year scholarships as it allows for these reevaluations about a student's future and state of mind, versus having a kid feel trapped for four years? 

Personal choice is good for inner happiness, last time I checked. A four year contract is a long time for a 18 year old.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »
<<Crean said he doesn’t view it as a problem. It is the way it is. Simple as that.>>

I happen to agree with this.

It is no more a problem that kids exercise their rights to play where they want than it is for coaches to exercise their rights to coach where they want. I'd even argue that the kids are less of a problem.

I think it's funny that Scoop's Rush Limbaugh sees this as an "entitlement." I would consider it a "freedom."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 03:07:42 PM »
People make important choices without full information.  It's the nature of the beast.  Once fully-informed, they may realize that what is best for them is switching programs/positions/schools.  We not only see non-athletes switching schools, but we also see a whole host of students switching majors (myself included) sometimes implying a switch to a different school within the same university, which, analogously, is in a sense "committing" to one department and then backing out of it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »

Uhhhh.....what? ?-(

Nope.  You presume wrongly.  Well, unless you want to factor in health into the equation, then yes...from that standpoint.

Earn your stripes, that was my point.  Cut your teeth, learn something, stop expecting stuff to be handed to you, whether it is playing time, a salary, or whatever.  Too many people today expecting the world without working for it and in athletics, too many quit over the slightest bit of conflict or challenge.  College coaches say it all the time and they are right.  We have babied athletes and quite a few of the rest of society. 

brandx

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:58:33 AM »
Nope.  You presume wrongly.  Well, unless you want to factor in health into the equation, then yes...from that standpoint.

Earn your stripes, that was my point.  Cut your teeth, learn something, stop expecting stuff to be handed to you, whether it is playing time, a salary, or whatever.  Too many people today expecting the world without working for it and in athletics, too many quit over the slightest bit of conflict or challenge.  College coaches say it all the time and they are right.  We have babied athletes and quite a few of the rest of society. 

I assume you only mean the coaches that have been at the same school their whole career.