[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler turns down Chicago Bulls "Hometown Discount" Contract Extension....  (Read 19691 times)

Nevada233

• All American
Contract talks between Bulls wing Jimmy Butler and the team have broken down, with Butler rejecting what’s believed to be the Bulls’ final extension offer Friday morning, Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski reported late Friday afternoon.

That would mean Butler would enter restricted free agency next summer, and the Bulls would have the right to match any offer by another team.

“It came down to me deciding that I want to bet on myself,” Butler told Yahoo Sports in a text. “It was about me believing that I put the work in this summer to become a better player with the hope that my improvement will give the Bulls a better chance to win a championship.”

The sides have until 11 p.m. tonight to reach a deal, and it’s still possible that the Bulls could reconsider and increase their offer.

Yahoo Sports didn’t report exact figures, but Butler and the Bulls were $2.5 million apart annually earlier Friday, the Tribune’s K.C. Johnson reported. Utah guard Alec Burks received a four-year, $42-million deal earlier Friday, and Charlotte guard Kemba Walker got a four-year, $48-million deal earlier in the week. Butler’s value was considered to be in the ballpark of those two.

Butler’s agent, Happy Walters, had some strong words for the Bulls.

“All the (rookie extension) deals done so far have shown that teams are building around their stars of the future, and they’re compensating those players as such,” Walters said, according to Yahoo Sports. “I was under the impression Jimmy was also viewed as one of those future building blocks with the Bulls.

“We tried like heck to get something done, but ultimately, the Bulls wanted a ‘hometown’ discount.”

The 25-year-old Butler averaged 13.1 points and 4.9 rebounds while shooting just under 40 percent last season. He’s considered one of the league’s top perimeter defenders.

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau sidestepped a question on if he’d be disappointed to see Butler hit restricted free agency next summer.

“It’s all part of the process,” Thibodeau said. “He’s earned the right.

“Jimmy’s in a great position. He’s done a heckuva job for us. It will work itself out.”

Is the former Marquette Star worth a maximum contract???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:12:18 PM by Nevada233 »

MU82

• All American
Although their roles are significantly different so it's hard to compare them, Butler might be "better" than Walker. But Kemba is the face of the Hornets and the team's second-best player. Jimmy is neither of those things with the Bulls.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nevada233

• All American
Although their roles are significantly different so it's hard to compare them, Butler might be "better" than Walker. But Kemba is the face of the Hornets and the team's second-best player. Jimmy is neither of those things with the Bulls.

Yeah he may be the 4th or 5th best Bull

Behind

Rose, Noah, Gasol and Taj Gibson

Give or take.... So the money he's looking for may be on another team ala Lance Stephenson.

He wont get 10-12 million on Chicago...

g0lden3agle

• All American

Behind

Give or take.... So the money he's looking for may be on another team ala Lance Stephenson.

Yep and there's nothing wrong with that

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Here comes Em Eye Eh Em Eye!! Wade + Butler!

🏀

• All American
Butler doesn't fit on the Bulls unfortunately, get paid somewhere else.

WarriorFan

• All American
What the Bulls unfortunately don't realize, is that - for the next 5 years - unless Rose returns to full form, Butler is the best player they have.  Noah can play his role well but you can't build a team around a center these days.  Gasol is old, and Taj disappears too often and for too long.  Snell is too dumb to ever have a serious role on a good team. 

The Bulls will never realize this.  Butler will have a 19/7 year and get close to a max deal with a contender. 

I could even see the Bulls realizing their mistake in January and trading him so they get some value.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MuMark

• All American
Actually he could have.....Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA  6h6 hours ago
Butler's camp feels pretty strong that Jimmy won't get less in free agency than the $10-$11 million per the Bulls are offering.

Behind

LAZER

• All American
Actually he could have.....Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA  6h6 hours ago
Butler's camp feels pretty strong that Jimmy won't get less in free agency than the $10-$11 million per the Bulls are offering.

Wow, I think that's more than a fair deal offered by the Bulls. I'm interested to see the teams willing to drop $12MM+ on Jimmy. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Jimmy and his agent betting on the new TV deal and a much higher salary cap as a result for next season. It was pretty clear last night that Bron, Bron had his way with the Bulls with Jimmy out, and thus, Jimmy is a key piece. As pointed out here, how key is the question as most teams don't reward defense like they do offense. The current offer (rumored to be $11mil per) is a lot of money to leave on the table for the year.

GGGG

• All American
What the Bulls unfortunately don't realize, is that - for the next 5 years - unless Rose returns to full form, Butler is the best player they have.  Noah can play his role well but you can't build a team around a center these days.  Gasol is old, and Taj disappears too often and for too long.  Snell is too dumb to ever have a serious role on a good team. 

The Bulls will never realize this.  Butler will have a 19/7 year and get close to a max deal with a contender. 

I could even see the Bulls realizing their mistake in January and trading him so they get some value.

If Jimmy Butler is your best player, you aren't a title contender.

WarriorFan

• All American

If Jimmy Butler is your best player, you aren't a title contender.
That's kinda what I'm saying... so they don't need him.

Remember, any success da Bulls have had is DESPITE, not DUE TO their head office.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

classof70

• Team Captain
Van Gundy said during Knicks game that Jimmy was worth 12 million a year.  I'll take his analysis.  I think the Bulls will  match the offer made to Jimmy next year and it will be in the 12-13 per year range.   He's their stopper on D as was exemplified last night against Cleveland.   He'll score more this year because he's matured so much and players like Jimmy seem to come into their own 3-5 year (see Taj).   Bulls do have a problem paying Jimmy more than Taj who is, I think, at about 8 million.  May have been part of their thought process:  don't want to give Jimmy more than Taj; let the market do it next summer.  That way Taj can't complain.  Though as bad as Taj played last night, he shouldn't complain!! ;)

mr.MUskie

• All American
The Bulls and Jimmy Butler could have engaged in some mutual risk management, but they couldn’t agree to terms on a contract extension as the deadline passed Friday night.

Butler will become a restricted free agent next summer, but the Bulls have the ability to match any offer sheet he receives from another team.

“I think you all know, the whole city, this is home for me,” Butler said before Friday’s game. “I love it here. This is where I want to be. I love my teammates, the fan base, the organization, everybody. Everybody knows that. This is the city I want to be in.”

Butler did not play in Friday’s game but said he is close to returning from a sprained left thumb suffered in an Oct. 19 preseason contest.

It’s not clear what the Bulls offered or what it would have taken for Butler to sign. Considering swingmen such as Utah’s Gordon Hayward and Dallas’ Chandler Parsons received $15 million per year during the summer, the Bulls probably needed an offer of at least $12 million per season.

They figured there is no harm in waiting, since they can match any offer.

The Bulls let center Omer Asik walk away in 2012 after he received a hefty offer sheet from Houston. Butler’s situation is different, since the Bulls have fewer luxury-tax concerns and there’s not a starter already filling Butler’s position. The chances he joins another team are slim.

Butler’s offense has been inconsistent during his first three NBA seasons, but he plays heavy minutes and was named to the all-defensive second team after last season.

He also played very well in the preseason. Before he was injured, Butler averaged 18.6 points and shot 60 percent from the field in the first five games.

“I understand it’s a business. I just have to be a great basketball player,” Butler said. “I love my odds. I think this team is really good, championship caliber. I am a part of this team. I am going to produce. I’m going to guard. I will take care of myself.”

savwa

• Walk-On
I love Jimmy but he can't shoot. I hope JB got his shot in order in the offseason because he's an offensive liability since he can't consistently hit a J. JB can't even be like Bruce Bowen was for the Spurs because BB could hit the 3 with a fair amount of consistency and play lockdown D. I don't doubt JB's work ethic, so over time, he can improve his shot but the Bulls don't need to give him a max deal.

Pakuni

• All American
Bulls have the right to match any offer and unless it's a max deal or front-loaded contract like the one Asik got, they will match. Really, nothing much to see here.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American

With the Bulls depth (assuming they stay relatively healthy) there is no way Butler averages anywhere near 19 PPG (although I expect him to be better offensively this year).  That being said, he is immensely valuable to the team and considering they can match any offer next year there is absolutely no way they trade him during a season in which they have championship aspirations. 

If the Bulls offered 4/44 I think that is fair but I also understand Butler betting on himself and trying to get more. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Huge Bulls fan and I love that we have JFB but anything over 10 mil at this time is overpaying.  He is a great defender and a great fit for the Bulls.  He fits well with the Bulls because they don't need a ton of offense from the SG because they have offense coming from a lot of place but need a player that can defend against the elite players.  As said, he is a great defender and that's it.  He shoots under 40%.  If he can show he can shoot just an OK percentage like in the 43% range, then I think he's worth it. 

JFB will probably get that 12 million a year.  NBA has a knack for overpaying players.  I am happy we didn't pay the premium for Deng or Omar and those guys got paid.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Eldon

• All American
I love Jimmy but he can't shoot. I hope JB got his shot in order in the offseason because he's an offensive liability since he can't consistently hit a J. JB can't even be like Bruce Bowen was for the Spurs because BB could hit the 3 with a fair amount of consistency and play lockdown D. I don't doubt JB's work ethic, so over time, he can improve his shot but the Bulls don't need to give him a max deal.

FWIW, I have only seen Bowen hit a three from the corners.  Has anyone else ever witnessed a non-corner Bruce Bowen three-pointer?

To be fair, he was indeed consistent as hell from those corners though

MU82

• All American
Wow, I think that's more than a fair deal offered by the Bulls. I'm interested to see the teams willing to drop $12MM+ on Jimmy. 

The problem for the Bulls (if they indeed want to keep Jimmy after this season) is that teams tend to try to overpay for restricted free agents. The Hornets offered a huge contract to Gordon Hayward, for example, but the Jazz matched it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
$11M is a fair offer...considering the current salary cap. The cap MUST go up next year and that $11M won't be looking so good then. Good luck Jimmy - stay healthy!

Gibson's salary is inconsequential considering what the salary cap was when he signed it.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
$11M is a fair offer...considering the current salary cap. The cap MUST go up next year and that $11M won't be looking so good then. Good luck Jimmy - stay healthy!

Gibson's salary is inconsequential considering what the salary cap was when he signed it.

I think a very comparable player to Jimmy is Thabo.  Thabo makes 4 million.  If Jimmy is looking for squeeze for an extra mil (I know its a lot of money), he will be playing for a crappy team.  Wish him luck.  I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to him that happen to Ben Gordon.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

g0lden3agle

• All American
I think a very comparable player to Jimmy is Thabo.  Thabo makes 4 million.  If Jimmy is looking for squeeze for an extra mil (I know its a lot of money), he will be playing for a crappy team.  Wish him luck.  I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to him that happen to Ben Gordon.

Jimmy is 5 years younger and has significantly better stats both on a per game and per minute played basis.  Not sure that comparison holds.

esotericmindguy

• All American
Ricky rubio just got 14M from the wolves. He's an average starting PG in this league. My guess Butler wants that type of money. Teams need guys who can guard the Lebron James of the world. I think he'll get it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

Last year they went through something similar with Loul Deng and after they traded Loul at midseason, their record improved.  In the NBA, teams are more likely to get into trouble overvaluing players then undervaluing them.  Nothing straight jackets a team's ability to build a winner worse then bad contracts.  Jimmy is a heck of a player, but he isn't max contract material.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.