'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Arena location revealed  (Read 13211 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: New Arena location revealed
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
I suppose it doesn't even limit the to the location of the JS building, it just means Edens/Lasry want that land.  If they decide to build on the existing BC site or just north, or build across the Arena/Theatre land, the JS building is still valuable real estate they might want for other development.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
And in another 25 years when the new arena is "obsolete" and the Bucks new owners explain how they can't possibly keep the team in Milwaukee without a new arena, they can complete the set with another new arena on the NE corner of that intersection.

I'm a big sports fan, but it always bugged me a little bit to see the Bradley Center and the MECCA right across the street from each other.  Seemed wasteful some how.  Seeing another one right there will make it worse.  I'm not saying it's not needed, it's just the "optics" of it.

I got a nice chuckle out of that one.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
That is true. Personally never been in Turner Hall.

It's been a long time since I was in Turner Hall, but I thought it was a great space, better than Goolsby's.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:29 PM »
One of the plans is to have the lower bowl seats underground. Something that they are doing for the Kings new arena.

Everyone seems to overlook a crucial part of this operation.

Bradley Center Bat -- Are you willing to relocate?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »

I'm a big sports fan, but it always bugged me a little bit to see the Bradley Center and the MECCA right across the street from each other.  Seemed wasteful some how.  Seeing another one right there will make it worse.  I'm not saying it's not needed, it's just the "optics" of it.

I assume the BC will be torn down and same with the Arena is the owners have there way. They could really clean up that site.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
We could always let UWM rent the Al for their games.

I don't see any point of tearing down the 25 yr old BC while keeping the smaller 65 yr old MECCA.  At least with the BC its still a great place for the Admirals and is bigger to accommodate a wider variety of events.  If an entertainment hub could be built on the site of the MECCA connecting it to the BC, Theatre, convention center and new arena, I think it would be a huge success.  They could do an indoor version of the Power & Light area in KC, with restaurants/bars/retail around the outside with an open common area in the middle, and people could use it when attending events at all four facilities.

Panther Arena is in good shape. The BC still would need $100 million to just fix the roof, walls that have water coming through and the boiler room.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
I assume the BC will be torn down and same with the Arena is the owners have there way. They could really clean up that site.

Clean it up for what though?

There is already a large empty parcel in the area, and an underutilized warehouse space (Ace Hardware).

I'm on board with urban development, but they need to do a good job planning out what they want. So far, there isn't huge demand for property in that part of the city. New arena helps, but it's probably not "magic".

I'm not against a new arena, but if "cleaning it up" is part of the benefits, then we need to talk about what gets put in.

(this is directed at you personally, just a general statement/caution).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
Maybe build the whole thing underground.  The "Deep Arena" project.  Has a nice Milwaukee ring to it.

_____

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »
get rid of the hole in one island at summerfest and build it there

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Panther Arena is in good shape. The BC still would need $100 million to just fix the roof, walls that have water coming through and the boiler room.

That $100M is way over-inflated, intended to draw up support for a new arena.  The article with quotes from Marotta supporting that number is very questionable and really doesn't add up to $100M.  I realize UWM fans like the arena and want to keep it, I would too if I were them, but it's on a prime piece of real estate that is being under utilized and could be put to better use for the city.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »
That $100M is way over-inflated, intended to draw up support for a new arena.  The article with quotes from Marotta supporting that number is very questionable and really doesn't add up to $100M.  I realize UWM fans like the arena and want to keep it, I would too if I were them, but it's on a prime piece of real estate that is being under utilized and could be put to better use for the city.
You made very good points on all. Hard to disagree, but UWM needs to fight for what helps there needs as well. Plus, it odd to me that the state just spent $5 million for $4,000 new seats and 2 side videoboards and a jumbo scoreboard to just rip down.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »

Yes and no.

There is an empty lot about 2.5 blocks away.

Hard to call Panther Arena prime real estate when you look at the rest of the neighborhood.

Politicians and city planners really need to be challenged on this whole deal. They are all going to use fluffy words and big numbers to justify everything, but we also need to look at the reality of that neighborhood. There hasn't been a lot of demand for property or growth since 1988. That's 25 years.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
Clean it up for what though?

There is already a large empty parcel in the area, and an underutilized warehouse space (Ace Hardware).

I'm on board with urban development, but they need to do a good job planning out what they want. So far, there isn't huge demand for property in that part of the city. New arena helps, but it's probably not "magic".

I'm not against a new arena, but if "cleaning it up" is part of the benefits, then we need to talk about what gets put in.

(this is directed at you personally, just a general statement/caution).

They should just put in a park/ nice public space that is unique, lots of cities have been doing these types of things lately.  Looks nice, people like it, uses the space etc.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
They should just put in a park/ nice public space that is unique, lots of cities have been doing these types of things lately.  Looks nice, people like it, uses the space etc.

When MU tore down Haggerty's they just put grass on the lot while the figure out what to do with the land.

A big lawn > Park East gravel pit.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

That's how I feel. There isn't any tax revenue from this land so might as well make it look nice. A few million dollars tacked on to the arena could really spruce that area up. No idea how practical this is, but some massive reflecting pools for the summer that are turned into ice skating rings with fire pits in the winter could liven up that are and really make it family friendly.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
I'm sorry, I hate to sound like johnny conservative, but that's a waste, and the city shouldn't put a dime towards it.

If the Bucks want/need a new arena, and it can be incorporated into a large scale city planning initiative, then I think it's a good idea. Let's get going!

If the city planning idea is simply: "Tear down old arenas, Build a new arena and new parks", then it's a waste and they should just let the Bucks move away.

I'm all for city beautification, but not at the cost of tearing down a functional arena and partially funding a new arena. That's a losing bet.

Milwaukee needs to think harder. If they want to clear out land and try to attract some new biz, that's not unreasonable, but I would need to see why this new property is going to be in such high demand, because that area hasn't ever had high demand.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:53:02 PM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
I'm sorry, I hate to sound like johnny conservative, but that's a waste, and the city shouldn't put a dime towards it.

If the Bucks want/need a new arena, and it can be incorporated into a large scale city planning initiative, then I think it's a good idea. Let's get going!

If the city planning idea is simply: "Tear down old arenas, Build a new arena and new parks", then it's a waste and they should just let the Bucks move away.

I'm all for city beautification, but not at the cost of tearing down a functional arena and partially funding a new arena. That's a losing bet.

Milwaukee needs to think harder. If they want to clear out land and try to attract some new biz, that's not unreasonable, but I would need to see why this new property is going to be in such high demand, because that area hasn't ever had high demand.

I think it is a losing bet either way. The Bradley Center will be as empty as the Arena in a few years if the Bucks leave. They are the ones that are paying for all the updates to keep the arena nice. MU hardly pays anything, so I'm pretty sure the arena will be losing money and unable to attract top acts as it continues to become outdated.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
I think it is a losing bet either way. The Bradley Center will be as empty as the Arena in a few years if the Bucks leave. They are the ones that are paying for all the updates to keep the arena nice. MU hardly pays anything, so I'm pretty sure the arena will be losing money and unable to attract top acts as it continues to become outdated.

Ya know, this gets presented as fact, but I'm just not sure it's true.

Acts play at Wrigley Field, which is a dump, and everything is temporarily set up. Why do they do it? Because it makes a lot of $$$$.

If (insert band) thinks they can sell out a show in Milwaukee, they will play there. I don't think it's more complex than that.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »

The alternative plan of "do absolutely nothing with the vacant Park East land" is clearly superior to laying down some temporary sod.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 09:09:18 AM »
Well, "they" built the Bradley Center in way too little space. That explains as to the why the seating is so "steep" with so little leg room. When they built the Bradley the had to spend a lot of time pile driving I-beams to support the buildings weight in the area that was once a marsh. Building next to a river??
Clearly more space that just the now semi empty Journal-Sentinel  Building would be needed..