[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Arena Location Reported  (Read 10089 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
New Arena Location Reported
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/bucksjournalcommunications.html
According to several sources within the Milwaukee Department of City Development and the commercial real estate community, Milwaukee Bucks co-owners Wes Edens and Marc Lasry are in negotiations to purchase the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel buildings with the intention of building a new arena on the block of land known as Journal Square.

The deal is not complete, but sources familiar with the negotiations say the Bucks ownership group has architectural renderings of an arena which fits within the Journal Square at 333 W. State St., a site that sits between 3rd and 4th streets to the east and west, and State Street and Kilbourn Avenue from the north to south.

A source indicated this is the ownership group's preferred location for a new arena.
I'm on board with this idea. I think given the developments downtown and the upcoming changes to the skyline, the JS property was on it's way to being an underutilized space.

🏀

• All American
Re: New Arena Location Reported
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
I'm cool with this.

Not the drunken wonderland I dreamt about at Grand Avenue, but good enough.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
I'm cool with this.

That was bought by an NYC investor: http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2014/10/top-grand-avenue-bidder-wants-to-work-with.html
Looks like it's gonna stay a mall too:
, "In general, I want to tell you that we are looking at this mall because we see some potential. We want to breathe new life into it."

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
I'm cool with this.

Been saying that was their intention for months.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44755.msg650677#msg650677

Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »
Oooohhhhh good for you

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 01:45:47 AM »
Does this put Usinger's location in peril?!

if it does, I hope they keep it. And Mader's down the road.
Some Old Third World charm.
SS Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
Does this put Usinger's location in peril?!

if it does, I hope they keep it. And Mader's down the road.
Some Old Third World charm.

Nope to Old Third World and this may actually enhance it.  Goolsby's would be out but they could grab a location in the new spot eventually, but they also just subleased Turners Restaurant as a secondary spot as well I have heard (which is a better fit as that spot is a moneymaker during events, but a bleeder when nothing is going on.  Goolsby's can flex its staff and menu costs with their primary spot, and close Turners when no events are scheduled...and will be a backup spot if the new arena goes to the JS spot).

brandx

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
Nope to Old Third World and this may actually enhance it.  Goolsby's would be out but they could grab a location in the new spot eventually, but they also just subleased Turners Restaurant as a secondary spot as well I have heard (which is a better fit as that spot is a moneymaker during events, but a bleeder when nothing is going on.  Goolsby's can flex its staff and menu costs with their primary spot, and close Turners when no events are scheduled...and will be a backup spot if the new arena goes to the JS spot).

This is Priceless!!!!!!!!

The Milwaukee Bucks investors who are seeking public money for a new arena will have to negotiate a difficult set of politics in Madison, where Republicans have widened their control of the Legislature. The latest sign of trouble for those wanting public money for the arena came from Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester), who said he thinks Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry made a mistake by greeting President Barack Obama at the airport in the lead-up to last week's election.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
How many blatantly political comments does Brandx get?  Or if he spreads them over multiple threads does he get amnesty?

brandx

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
How many blatantly political comments does Brandx get?  Or if he spreads them over multiple threads does he get amnesty?

It's not a political comment - it is directly related to the thread of the topic.

I haven't decided yet how I will feel about whatever funding is requested for a new arena. I will wait to see what is asked for and whether it benefits the city as a whole.

But the comment was meant to say that it is pretty pathetic that the subject can't even be decided rationally based on economics and city needs. Rather, it looks like it may be decided by someone's hissy fit.

But, thank you for monitoring my posts. It always warms my heart to know someone cares  8-)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:35:40 PM by brandx »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
How many blatantly political comments does Brandx get?  Or if he spreads them over multiple threads does he get amnesty?

There is a distinction between a blatant political comment vs understanding that state level politics will play a factor in a new arena. The fact that Republicans swept the elections in the state and the Assembly has its biggest majority in nearly 60 years will create tension with the bucks because Lasry greeted Obama at the airport and spent $16k at the Umami-moto fundraiser. Its especially worse since the prior owner was a Democrat senator.

there will be a lot of heavy lifting to do but I believe the overarching logistics of the new arena have been worked out with major players in the legislature. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Vos, while probably inarticulate, is just shining light on the reality of politics.  Massive republican majority that believe they won on the back of being ultra-conservative stewards of state funds.  Even if Ronald Reagan himself came back and asked for $100 million to fund an arena the politics are tricky.  Now make it a very public supporter of their arch-nemesis and the politics get very very tricky.

Basically, the ownership group of the Bucks have been on notice that they have to court the republican legislature and explain why the government in Madison should provide any kind of funding for an arena that will benefit 1/30th of the states population.

Ultimately, once all parties put the cards on the table in terms of location, private funding, and public funding required to move it across the goal line it'll get done.  From what I'm hearing the possible burden on the state is pretty light and Milwaukee in general only less so.  Basically what is require for governments to invest is more than recouped by the economic impact because there will be a lot of private funding involved.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
It's not a political comment - it is directly related to the thread of the topic.

I haven't decided yet how I will feel about whatever funding is requested for a new arena. I will wait to see what is asked for and whether it benefits the city as a whole.

But the comment was meant to say that it is pretty pathetic that the subject can't even be decided rationally based on economics and city needs. Rather, it looks like it may be decided by someone's hissy fit.

But, thank you for monitoring my posts. It always warms my heart to know someone cares  8-)

But priceless with 8 exclamation points? Really? One guy from the winning team being kind of a jag and suggesting that the person who is asking the winning team for money might have problems because he was such an outspoken champion of the losing team is priceless? Where I live (Chicago) that's called life in the big city.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »
Politicians are the worst. Seriously.

A new arena isn't politics. It's economics.

If the plan makes sense for the city/state, then go for it. If it doesn't, then let them (the Bucks) walk.

I know there are all sorts of layers and layers to it, but the conversation should start and end with the economics.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »

If the plan makes sense for the city/state, then go for it. If it doesn't, then let them (the Bucks) walk.

I know there are all sorts of layers and layers to it, but the conversation should start and end with the economics.
Agree 100%.  Politicians aren't interested in long term problem solving.  They are interested in re-election. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
Agree 100%.  Politicians aren't interested in long term problem solving.  They are interested in re-election. 

how many broad stroke blatant political comments that add nothing to the discussion do you get?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »

Paul Krugman economics or Milton Friedman economics? Suggesting economics is free of politics is naïve IMO.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:24:08 AM by Lennys Tap »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
how many broad stroke blatant political comments that add nothing to the discussion do you get?

It's a message board.   I guess as many as he wants.

Let discourse blossom, let it grow.  Just a general observation but people are too easily offended and think everyone should care that they are.

Although these usually evolve into a straight party-line for or against piss match.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:29:44 AM by Stone Cold »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Paul Krugman economics or Milton Friedman economics? Suggesting economics is free of politics is naïve IMO.

That's fair. HOW the economics get applied and interpreted is always a matter of perspective (including politics).

Let those guys debate all they want about that.

I just don't like: "(insert thing) probably won't get done because (insert guy) supports (insert party)."

That's bad policy. A good idea is a good idea. A bad idea is a bad idea. Let's actually hear the idea before we evaluate.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
That's fair. HOW the economics get applied and interpreted is always a matter of perspective (including politics).

Let those guys debate all they want about that.

I just don't like: "(insert thing) probably won't get done because (insert guy) supports (insert party)."

That's bad policy. A good idea is a good idea. A bad idea is a bad idea. Let's actually hear the idea before we evaluate.

woah woah woah.  Are you seriously advocating people use facts, patience, and collaboration to make things better? 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »

woah woah woah.  Are you seriously advocating people use facts, patience, and collaboration to make things better? 

I'm with you, but people of every political persuasion will insist that the "facts" are on his/her side. They start out with a prejudice that's hard to overcome.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
I'm with you, but people of every political persuasion will insist that the "facts" are on his/her side. They start out with a prejudice that's hard to overcome.

You're right, but I'd like to hear the proposed "facts" before we simply say or imply things like:

"That guy likes (insert political candidate), so I'm not likely to help him."

That's some small minded sh!t right there.