[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[March 28, 2024, 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: He Looks Constipated  (Read 8864 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
He Looks Constipated
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »

Eldon

• All American
Re: He Looks Constipated
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:36:01 AM »
Part of me wants the Johnnies to never play Cuse again so that Cuse has a tougher time getting NYC recruits and so they can stop this type of marketing (after all, how can you claim to be NY's team if you never play in NYC?)

But I kind of want the Johnnies to continue playing them for SOS/RPI reasons.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
They may be the only one who considers themselves New York's team.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
Someone needs to explain to those douchebags that Syracuse is nowhere near NYC...in many ways.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Someone needs to explain to those douchebags that Syracuse is nowhere near NYC...in many ways.

Probably designed by a former player who failed geography.  Then was ruled academically ineligible, but reinstated two weeks later after Boeheim whined about it.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
Probably designed by a former player who failed geography.  Then was ruled academically ineligible, but reinstated two weeks later after Boeheim whined about it.

Seriously guys?  Read what it says.  Definitely does NOT say NYC.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »
Actually, they are New York's team. Best program in the state (btw, New York is a state) and they've owned the Garden the last two decades that the Johnnies have been largely irrelevant. There's a large reason why the Orangemen have taken over NYC proper but we don't need to get into that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »
People on this board do know that New York is also a state, right?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
Actually, they are New York's team. Best program in the state (btw, New York is a state) and they've owned the Garden the last two decades that the Johnnies have been largely irrelevant. There's a large reason why the Orangemen have taken over NYC proper but we don't need to get into that.

LOLZ, it seems our posters can't read (products of CPS?) and can't reasonably apply context.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
Come on! Marquette is America's team!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
People on this board do know that New York is also a state, right?

+1000

Exactly what I was going to say.  Syracuse is in New York. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »
+1000

Exactly what I was going to say.  Syracuse is in New York. 

Gee, really? Thanks for clearing that up. ::)  By "New York," they mean NYC...not Albany or Buffalo. That's why they try to play at MSG every chance they get.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
Gee, really? Thanks for clearing that up. ::)  By "New York," they mean NYC...not Albany or Buffalo. That's why they try to play at MSG every chance they get.

I don't think so, they are claiming to be THE program for the entire state.  Everyone understands why they play in the city for recruiting advantages, etc, but by default if you are the NEW YORK state team you are going to likely be the NEW YORK CITY team.   They want to control upstate, down state, etc.   

This is the cover of their media guide, which is for a school located in Syracuse, where most of their games are played in Syracuse and the media is Syracuse based.  They would no alienate the other part of their fanbase outside of NYC to claim to be the City's team when they are 250 miles away. 

If this was the cover for a tournament being played in NYC media guide, like  MU used to do for the First Bank Classic, it would lend to your argument.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
Gee, really? Thanks for clearing that up. ::)  By "New York," they mean NYC...not Albany or Buffalo. That's why they try to play at MSG every chance they get.

Yep.  If someone says “I’m going to New York” or “I live in New York”, the city is implied unless they specify “New York state” or “upstate New York” to talk about the other places.  Though I imagine this jives with the upstate crowd, since specifying "state" might be too honest in labeling them as afterthoughts.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:49:42 PM by chapman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »
Yep.  If someone says “I’m going to New York” or “I live in New York”, the city is implied unless they specify “New York state” or “upstate New York” to talk about the other places.  Though I imagine this jives with the upstate crowd, since specifying "state" might be too honest in labeling them as afterthoughts.

"New York," without any other qualifier, such as "City" or "State," technically refers to the state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York

If Syracuse specifically meant New York City, they would have said New York City.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
It's still pretty ballsy to call "dibs" on being "New York's College Team."

Northwestern has billboards up all over the 4-county area calling itself "Chicago's Big Ten Team", but at least it is factually true.

I vote that next year Marquette calls itself "Wisconsin's College Team" on its media guide.
Have some patience, FFS.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
"New York," without any other qualifier, such as "City" or "State," technically refers to the state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York

If Syracuse specifically meant New York City, they would have said New York City.

"New York" is an ambiguous colloquialism.  Y'all think that might have been what they were going for in the first place?  That's just good marketing.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
I don't think so, they are claiming to be THE program for the entire state.  Everyone understands why they play in the city for recruiting advantages, etc, but by default if you are the NEW YORK state team you are going to likely be the NEW YORK CITY team.   They want to control upstate, down state, etc.   

This is the cover of their media guide, which is for a school located in Syracuse, where most of their games are played in Syracuse and the media is Syracuse based.  They would no alienate the other part of their fanbase outside of NYC to claim to be the City's team when they are 250 miles away. 

If this was the cover for a tournament being played in NYC media guide, like  MU used to do for the First Bank Classic, it would lend to your argument.

Perhaps, but I doubt they're focused on Poughkeepsie or Rochester. They mean NYC. That's the prize. Syracuse has long considered itself NYC's team, going back to the days of Pearl Washington (if not longer). They're almost as delusional as the Big 10...thinking it now owns NYC since it added Rutgers. ::)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
Perhaps, but I doubt they're focused on Poughkeepsie or Rochester. They mean NYC. That's the prize. Syracuse has long considered itself NYC's team, going back to the days of Pearl Washington (if not longer). They're almost as delusional as the Big 10...thinking it now owns NYC since it added Rutgers. ::)

You seem to downplay the pull Cuse has in NYC proper. Who do you think is "the" college team in NYC?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »
You seem to downplay the pull Cuse has in NYC proper. Who do you think is "the" college team in NYC?

They don't have one, it's a Pro town.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »

Maybe it's Syracuse. Maybe it's St. Johns. Maybe it's Notre Dame.

Honestly, it's no school because NYC is a serious professional sports town.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
They don't have one, it's a Pro town.

You just beat me to it.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
This kind of douchebaggery isn't even limited to the Orange. UB wants in too.

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
This kind of douchebaggery isn't even limited to the Orange. UB wants in too.

And again, don't forget the Big 10's claim on NYC since they added that athletic juggernaut, Rutgers.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Might be a tad awkward if they advertised as “America’s Dirtiest Program.”

Just the PR/media guys doing their job. I might be missing something, but is there another college program in NY state that’s been remotely as successful on the court as ‘Cuse recently? Or should we all shake our fists and write letters to the Syracuse athletic department requesting they add the word state?

feedback