[Today at 02:15:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can Marquette deal with a coach without "quirk"?  (Read 10094 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Can Marquette deal with a coach without "quirk"?
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:08:50 AM »
While posting in another thread about ranking MU coaches, it got me to thinking about all the coaches MU has had.  Almost to a man, they were quirky people.  Buzz was obviously, Al was the master, Crean was creepy quirky....the list goes on.  Deane and KO by all accounts were super quirky.  I don't know about Hank and Rick was probably the least quirky of the bunch.  But almost all of them were just weird people.

Wojo seems pretty middle of the road, and that isn't meant as a pejorative and neither is quirky, but is part of Marquette's "personality" a coach with a quirky, weird personality?  Is this a subconscious reflection on the man who saw MU basketball to it's greatest heights?  Is that part of the Marquette basketball brand?

Winning obviously trumps everything and we are still getting to know Wojo(talk about great first impressions!) but I wonder if the apparent lack of "personality" will help or hurt within the fanbase.

Or maybe this is all total crap and made up in my head....that's why we have message boards right?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Can Marquette deal with a coach without "quirk"?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »
Floor slapping is kinda quirky.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
There is "quirky" (Al and Buzz), there is "intense" (O'Neil and Deane), and there is "odd."  (Crean)

I'm sure Wojo will fit into one of these categories eventually.  99% of coaches do.

IlikecreansoIcantposthere

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
maybe being normal is his "qurik"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
There is "quirky" (Al and Buzz), there is "intense" (O'Neil and Deane), and there is "odd."  (Crean)

I'm sure Wojo will fit into one of these categories eventually.  99% 100% of coaches do.

FIFY.  If you aren't quirky, intense or odd, you'll eventually find yourself out of a HC job.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
There will be plenty of time for his Quirks to come to the fore

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
There is "quirky" (Al and Buzz), there is "intense" (O'Neil and Deane), and there is "odd creepy."  (Crean)

fify.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »
Winning obviously trumps everything and we are still getting to know Wojo(talk about great first impressions!) but I wonder if the apparent lack of "personality" will help or hurt within the fanbase.

Or maybe this is all total crap and made up in my head....that's why we have message boards right?

I've thought about this too. The one critique I have of Wojo so far is that we haven't seen him "off-script" quite yet. Says all the right things, but I'd like to see him a little more relaxed and show his personality a bit.

The fact that this is the one minor quibble I have with his first 6 months here shows you how outstanding it has been.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:40 AM »
While posting in another thread about ranking MU coaches, it got me to thinking about all the coaches MU has had.  Almost to a man, they were quirky people.  Buzz was obviously, Al was the master, Crean was creepy quirky....the list goes on.  Deane and KO by all accounts were super quirky.  I don't know about Hank and Rick was probably the least quirky of the bunch.  But almost all of them were just weird people.

Wojo seems pretty middle of the road, and that isn't meant as a pejorative and neither is quirky, but is part of Marquette's "personality" a coach with a quirky, weird personality?  Is this a subconscious reflection on the man who saw MU basketball to it's greatest heights?  Is that part of the Marquette basketball brand?

Hank was easily the most middle of the road coach MU has had since Al. If Hank had a quirk it was that he was a genuinely nice guy, probably too nice to be a really effective head coach.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:23:40 AM »
fify.

"I've been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot."

-Thom Crean

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:48:24 AM »
Wojo's "quirk" is his intensity. Not a bad thing.
We Are Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
Al was slick, NYC fascinating quirky. Buzz was down home country quirky, Rick was working man/everyman quirky. KO and Deane were boozy quirky and TC was creepy quirky. I'm sure Hank had a few quirks but he was way more normal than the others. Bob Dukiet? Who cares?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
I've thought about this too. The one critique I have of Wojo so far is that we haven't seen him "off-script" quite yet. Says all the right things, but I'd like to see him a little more relaxed and show his personality a bit.

The fact that this is the one minor quibble I have with his first 6 months here shows you how outstanding it has been.

The off script thing is rattling around in my head as well.  I bought into Crean's and Buzz's schtick/quirk and with Wojo I'm holding him at arms length even though on the surface everything he has done is A+.  I don't know if it's a "I've been burned before, I don't believe it" thing or if I just like quirky coaches and straight arrows worry me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
Does money make one quirky or does it just bring the quirkiness out?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
It seems to me that most people with an extraordinary talent of some kind fall outside the range of "normal" or "typical" in other aspects of their lives.  For example, extremely creative types tend to be very sensitive people who are more likely than most to self-medicate to deal with the emotions that self-expression doesn't help with (think artists, writers, musicians). Politicians tend to have enormous egos.  A great number of mathematical or scientific geniuses have issues such as OCD or ADHD, or other problems with socialization.

All of these things could be considered quirks, and some of it might be a chicken/egg thing (e.g., does one go into politics because one has an enormous ego, or does being a political bigwig give someone an enormous ego?)
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
Does money make one quirky or does it just bring the quirkiness out?

Well... the difference between "crazy" and "eccentric" is said to be a few million dollars.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »
We don't know what kink of quirk is going to manifest with Wojo yet.   Don't worry, it will.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
It seems to me that most people with an extraordinary talent of some kind fall outside the range of "normal" or "typical" in other aspects of their lives.  For example, extremely creative types tend to be very sensitive people who are more likely than most to self-medicate to deal with the emotions that self-expression doesn't help with (think artists, writers, musicians). Politicians tend to have enormous egos.  A great number of mathematical or scientific geniuses have issues such as OCD or ADHD, or other problems with socialization.

All of these things could be considered quirks, and some of it might be a chicken/egg thing (e.g., does one go into politics because one has an enormous ego, or does being a political bigwig give someone an enormous ego?)

Thank you, Dr. Warriorchick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »
There is "quirky" (Al and Buzz), there is "intense" (O'Neil and Deane), and there is "odd."  (Crean)

I'm sure Wojo will fit into one of these categories eventually.  99% of coaches do.

I think Buzz fits in all three categories.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
What kind of quirky was Dukiet????

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
The off script thing is rattling around in my head as well.  I bought into Crean's and Buzz's schtick/quirk and with Wojo I'm holding him at arms length even though on the surface everything he has done is A+.  I don't know if it's a "I've been burned before, I don't believe it" thing or if I just like quirky coaches and straight arrows worry me.

How have you / we been burned?  TC was here for 9 years, Buzz for 6.  2 coaches in 15 years.  COACHES LEAVE, that's what they are going to do.  Accept it.  If we get 6-9 years of Wojo and he gets hired away, it means we most likely will have had 6-9 good years.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »

Cradle robber.  He hit on one of my classmates.  She was of age -and already graduated - but not HIS age.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »

Is mediocrity a quirk?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
Is mediocrity a quirk?

Definitely a better piano player than a coach.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"