[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What Kind of Production Can Wojo Coax Out of Juan

13 points 5 boards 4 assist 2 steal
3 (2%)
10 points  4 boards 3 assist 1.5 steals
23 (15.4%)
7 points 3 boards 2 assist 1.0 steals
73 (49%)
4 points 2 boards 1 assist  0.5 steals
50 (33.6%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll :Can Wojo Coax a Big Senior Year Out of Juan?  (Read 10092 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Poll :Can Wojo Coax a Big Senior Year Out of Juan?
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »
One of the pivotal characters on our team this year will be Juan. Is it possible for Wojo to coax a big senior year out of him? What kind of production will he deliver?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Poll :Can Wojo Coax a Big Senior Year Out of Juan?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:22 AM »
None of the above. Less points, more boards. Thinking like 7 points, 5.5 boards, 2 assists, 1.5 steals. Keep in mind that Juan will have to play the 4 and 5 for most of the season. We'll need his hustle on the boards.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
I thought he played well at Madness.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »

I would not draw any conclusions from anyone's play at madness.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »
His stats better increase, because his playing time will increase.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
None of the above. Less points, more boards. Thinking like 7 points, 5.5 boards, 2 assists, 1.5 steals. Keep in mind that Juan will have to play the 4 and 5 for most of the season. We'll need his hustle on the boards.

This. I don't care if he scores but given our lack of size we need him to rebound.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »
If Juan can deliver that kind of production we will be a very strong team.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
His career averages:

2.3 points
2.5 rebounds
0.7 assists
0.6 steals

So, really, 5/5/1/1 would be a "big" year for him.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
His career averages:

2.3 points
2.5 rebounds
0.7 assists
0.6 steals

So, really, 5/5/1/1 would be a "big" year for him.

I'm really expecting closer to his career averages out of him. Probably less.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
He'll be getting solid PT in the NC portion of schedule.  I suspect his averages will go up some.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »

Even though he's likely to get big minutes most of the season, while he's averaged about 10 mpg for his career?  Given that his minutes will likely at least double, it'd be pretty abysmal for Juan to only get his career averages.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
Even though he's likely to get big minutes most of the season, while he's averaged about 10 mpg for his career?  Given that his minutes will likely at least double, it'd be pretty abysmal for Juan to only get his career averages.

+1

Given the lack of size on the roster, I don't see a way that Juan doesn't get 20+ minutes per game.
TAMU

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
Juan actually does alot of things really well, his biggest issue is he is a very poor and erratic shooter.   For that reason he was often hesitant to shoot.  With last years team of non scorers it made everything even mote difficult.  He could be a really nice complimentary player with 3-4 scorers.  Not sure we will have that.  Hopefully his shooting has gotten better, if do he can be a real nice player.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »

He played well at madness last year also, so if the past 3 years are what we are accounting then it will be much of the same..

Against Grambling, IUPUI, George Washington and Ball State <<---- All teams that hardly mattered....

Then fell off the side of the earth...... Scoring a whopping 34 total points in the last 21 games....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:36:27 AM »

We'll see.  When Luke gets eligible, I wonder how much his minutes will actually increase with Taylor, Deonte, JJJ and perhaps even Cohen.

Last year he was 13 mpg...pretty much same as a sophomore.  Will he be getting 20+ come conference time?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »

We'll see.  When Luke gets eligible, I wonder how much his minutes will actually increase with Taylor, Deonte, JJJ and perhaps even Cohen.

Last year he was 13 mpg...pretty much same as a sophomore.  Will he be getting 20+ come conference time?

He's gotta be playing damn near world beater basketball to get 20+ MPG in December with Luke Fish, Deonte and StJr all lobbying for minutes at the 3-5 position....

The bigger question is Derrick gonna be playing 30+ MPG if thats the case we can just pack this season up and wait till next year...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
Aside from being Wojo's mentor, Coach K is one of the best basketball coaches ever.

Nevertheless, he couldn't "coax" a great senior season out of Tyler Thornton last year.

Even the best coaches can't make a player something he isn't. I'd be thrilled with a Lockett Lite kind of season out of Juan, but I don't see Wojo or anybody else coaxing it out of him. I hope I'm wrong!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »
Juan actually does alot of things really well, his biggest issue is he is a very poor and erratic shooter.   For that reason he was often hesitant to shoot.  With last years team of non scorers it made everything even mote difficult.  He could be a really nice complimentary player with 3-4 scorers.  Not sure we will have that.  Hopefully his shooting has gotten better, if do he can be a real nice player.

I agree. I'd be excited if he had senior season like Joe Fulce...a reliable hustle player that, despite his limitations, is someone that is crucial to the team's success.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »

Juan missed a couple 3's and never shot the ball with confidence again... I doubt anyone on the team besides the starting pg turned down more open looks than Juan last year....

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
I agree that Juan does a lot of things well, his major problem is that he has never been able to finish around the basket with any kind of traffic. That's probably not going to change but he can still be valuable in a Joe Fulce type way as was already mentioned.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
You can't really glean the level of Juan's improvement from Madness performance or observation of practice. The only way to tell how good Juan will be this season, is to do what I did, and that is evaluate each of his 1,974 tweets made since the end of last season.

Based on a 19.4% increase in a metric I call Leadership Verbiage, which tracks instances of words like "hustle" and "work" and "bangin" and "lolz" and "trippin", we can expect a stat line of 6.8ppg/6.3rpg/1.9apg/2.1spg. Reflecting the senior's growing confidence, his LV increase also suggests he will lead this year's team in high fives given.

(/end teal, BTW. I'm not a smalker.)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
You can't really glean the level of Juan's improvement from Madness performance or observation of practice. The only way to tell how good Juan will be this season, is to do what I did, and that is evaluate each of his 1,974 tweets made since the end of last season.

Based on a 19.4% increase in a metric I call Leadership Verbiage, which tracks instances of words like "hustle" and "work" and "bangin" and "lolz" and "trippin", we can expect a stat line of 6.8ppg/6.3rpg/1.9apg/2.1spg. Reflecting the senior's growing confidence, his LV increase also suggests he will lead this year's team in high fives given.

(/end teal, BTW. I'm not a smalker.)

Twitta Tracka?
TAMU

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
No, because he's bad at basketball

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
His forced minutes will allow
 Him to put up
5-6 ppg
in 25+ min. Juan should be the last scoring option on the
Floor.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
Aside from being Wojo's mentor, Coach K is one of the best basketball coaches ever.

Nevertheless, he couldn't "coax" a great senior season out of Tyler Thornton last year.

Even the best coaches can't make a player something he isn't. I'd be thrilled with a Lockett Lite kind of season out of Juan, but I don't see Wojo or anybody else coaxing it out of him. I hope I'm wrong!

Tyler was made captain his senior yr.  Maybe if Juan is selected it may give him an extra focus on applying his talents to the Max.  Here's Hoping
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback