[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last Scholarship May Go To........a Juco?  (Read 60828 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Last Scholarship May Go To........a Juco?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
JFB was such a force defensively though.  What he did versus Tu Holloway was as good as any offensive performance that DJO gave.  And JFB was no slouch offensively...15 ppg as a junior and senior.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 09:09:56 PM »
JFB was such a force defensively though.  What he did versus Tu Holloway was as good as any offensive performance that DJO gave.  And JFB was no slouch offensively...15 ppg as a junior and senior.

Jimmy's defensive performance against Holloway was as good as any I've ever seen by a Marquette player and it came on the big stage.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
Hype train that benefitted Butler? He arrived with almost no fanfare (as opposed to DJO and Jae) and was pretty much under the radar until the last half of his senior year. He was the least hyped star at MU in a very long time.

LOL...I must have missed the hype train for Jimmy too.....

Maybe it was the Midnight train to Georgia or the Last train to Clarksville?  ;)

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »
It's only squirmy when kids are at diploma mills and needing to do wild gymnastics to get eligible.  It's also not good, as we've illustrated many times over, to have kids only around 2 years.  Some of our JUCOs have been 3 year players, the longer they are around, the better continuity for the program.

An occasional JUCO to shore up a hole, sure.  When you have 40% of your team JUCOs, no thanks.  Let other schools do that, plenty of exemplary programs have proved over and over again you don't need to go down that path, and MU doesn't either.

Truly a horrid post.  Who has illustrated the negatives of two year jucos?  When n where? Additionally we have had very few of them anyway and one of our last was the BE POY and is currently in the NBA.  Lastly, you need to qualify more things as your opinion, as opposed to stating then like facts.  I personally and i guarantee others would not care if the team is 80% jucos.  That is completely up to wojo, as long as the players represent the school well and win basketball games the wojo is fine with me.  I will not descriminate against a young mzn solely due to his background. Pathetic

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »
Hype train that benefitted Butler? He arrived with almost no fanfare (as opposed to DJO and Jae) and was pretty much under the radar until the last half of his senior year. He was the least hyped star at MU in a very long time.

There was no "hype train" for Butler, but he had a very good junior year and every coach who game-planned for Marquette knew all about JFB by midway through that Big East season (if not sooner).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »
Truly a horrid post.  Who has illustrated the negatives of two year jucos?  When n where? Additionally we have had very few of them anyway and one of our last was the BE POY and is currently in the NBA.  Lastly, you need to qualify more things as your opinion, as opposed to stating then like facts.  I personally and i guarantee others would not care if the team is 80% jucos.  That is completely up to wojo, as long as the players represent the school well and win basketball games the wojo is fine with me.  I will not descriminate against a young mzn solely due to his background. Pathetic

I can tell you that the people who matter care very much if the team is 80% jucos.

If they earn their spot academically and have a chance of graduating, than the university has no issue. We have accepted players in the past who don't meet this criteria. You can argue until the cows come home whether or not this is the right policy. But it is Marquette's policy. I personally support it.

I'm sure if Wojo is recruiting Mr. Freeman than he could be an excellent addition to our alma mater, both athletically and academically. He is coming from DJO's JUCO, we might still have some in roads with them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:38:31 PM by The Adventures of HE-Man and the Kangaroo Kid »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
I feel DJO was the better college player than Butler. He didn't have the hype train that benefitted Butler but considering he stepped in immediately and was pivotal every single one of his three years puts him over Butler in my boat. It's a battle with Crowder for me as to best JUCO under Buzz but that BE POY and Crowder's three week push at the end of that season likely puts him over the top.

From what I remember, Jimmy had no hype. He wasn't even regarded as the top juco in our class. Joe Fulce was considered the much bigger prize.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »
Truly a horrid post.  Who has illustrated the negatives of two year jucos?  When n where? Additionally we have had very few of them anyway and one of our last was the BE POY and is currently in the NBA.  Lastly, you need to qualify more things as your opinion, as opposed to stating then like facts.  I personally and i guarantee others would not care if the team is 80% jucos.  That is completely up to wojo, as long as the players represent the school well and win basketball games the wojo is fine with me.  I will not descriminate against a young mzn solely due to his background. Pathetic

80% and no one would care?  You are in fantasy land, absolute fantasy land. 

Yes, it is up to Wojo...and well, others.  Again, you are in fantasy land if you don't think it is.

There's a reason why the top 20 programs in the country by and large may have 1 or 2 JUCO kids tops, not 5 or 6.  Continuity is a big reason.  There are others.  And surely, you have never desciminated (sic) against young mzn (sic) here in the past...LOL.   All depends what uniform they are wearing, but if the wrong uniform is worn it hasn't slowed you one bit.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
I can tell you that the people who matter care very much if the team is 80% jucos.

If they earn their spot academically and have a chance of graduating, than the university has no issue. We have accepted players in the past who don't meet this criteria. You can argue until the cows come home whether or not this is the right policy. But it is Marquette's policy. I personally support it.

I'm sure if Wojo is recruiting Mr. Freeman than he could be an excellent addition to our alma mater, both athletically and academically. He is coming from DJO's JUCO, we might still have some in roads with them.

I agree with you on that, in a quick response i left off graduate.  Let me rephrase... As long as the players represent the university well, graduate, and win baketball games then wojo is fine with me. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »
If they earn their spot academically and have a chance of graduating, than the university has no issue. We have accepted players in the past who don't meet this criteria.

The one JUCO guy that really had no chance to graduate was Crowder. After the mess at his first Junior College, he had no chance of getting done in 4 years.

Jae was a great guy, model citizen, and outstanding player while he was here. Being told that they will "never let another Jae Crowder in" really irked our former coach. And ended up being one of the major points of contention that he had with the administration.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 11:42:06 PM »
That 2015-16 class will be loaded.

Don't see a good fit unless Wojo will be having a healthy subbing pattern.

Oops.

I went there.
SS Marquette

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 03:00:48 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNIHgUFbSwg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;start=30" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eNIHgUFbSwg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;start=30</a>

The first thing that always comes to my mind when I hear "JFB" and "defense" together is this.  SMH, *sigh*

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNIHgUFbSwg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;start=30" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eNIHgUFbSwg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;start=30</a>

The first thing that always comes to my mind when I hear "JFB" and "defense" together is this.  SMH, *sigh*

Same here. He could hold Lebron James to zero points this Friday and yet when I hear defense and jimmy I'll still think of this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
From what I remember, Jimmy had no hype. He wasn't even regarded as the top juco in our class. Joe Fulce was considered the much bigger prize.

The hype train amongst the Scoopers was my point. Butler holds a higher status with the people in this forum than he does outside it. Speaking to MU alums who've never frequented this site or any other MU fandork site, Butler remains a wonderful player who brought great memories but they don't see him as transcendent as he is considered here in the forum.

Certainly his exploits for the Bulls and the strong midwest contingent of posters in the forum has also contributed to his elevated position in the memory bank which is why I wrote that as a pure college player, I would take DJO over Butler. At times, it's hard to separate the NBA influence but I would never quibble with those who will go blue in face telling me otherwise regarding Butler.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »
The hype train amongst the Scoopers was my point. Butler holds a higher status with the people in this forum than he does outside it. Speaking to MU alums who've never frequented this site or any other MU fandork site, Butler remains a wonderful player who brought great memories but they don't see him as transcendent as he is considered here in the forum.

Certainly his exploits for the Bulls and the strong midwest contingent of posters in the forum has also contributed to his elevated position in the memory bank which is why I wrote that as a pure college player, I would take DJO over Butler. At times, it's hard to separate the NBA influence but I would never quibble with those who will go blue in face telling me otherwise regarding Butler.

Neither you nor I know if Butler holds a higher status with the people in this forum than he does with MU fans outside of it. If your anecdotal experience is an accurate measure of non Scoop MU fans feelings, though, I'd say they're guilty of underrating Jimmy and Scoopers more fairly value him.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 09:13:57 AM »
No hate on JUCO's. Lots of big time players at MU came from JUCO's. Not sure about all of these:
Butler, DJO, Crowder, Mike Flory, Benny Moore, and even going back to Al, (I believe) Whitehead, Lackey, Tatum?, and likely several I missed.

Pretty sure Tatum was not a Juco.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:04 AM »
Dwight Buycks is less than a year removed from representing MU in the NBA off of an MVP season in the French league and he hasn't even warranted a mention here yet? Ouch.

And I love JFB & DJO, but they never took over games on a holistic level on such a consistent basis the way Crowder did during his BEast POY season. Crowder had Lazar's senior year mentality combined with JFB's offensive efficiency and was a serious BEast DPOY candidate too. No question in my mind it was the second best single season performance at MU since Wade took us to the F4. Crowder is not only our best JUCO in recent memory, but our best college player since Wade.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
80% and no one would care?  You are in fantasy land, absolute fantasy land. 

Yes, it is up to Wojo...and well, others.  Again, you are in fantasy land if you don't think it is.

There's a reason why the top 20 programs in the country by and large may have 1 or 2 JUCO kids tops, not 5 or 6.  Continuity is a big reason.  There are others.  And surely, you have never desciminated (sic) against young mzn (sic) here in the past...LOL.   All depends what uniform they are wearing, but if the wrong uniform is worn it hasn't slowed you one bit.

Pretty sad.  Like keefe says u take pot shots n then run.  U state the numerous illustration that we have seen of why jucos are bad and leave it at that.  U state jucos are bad for continuity yet we hit 2 sweet 16s and an elite 8?  I say as long as the young men are graduating, representing the university well, and winning ball games i have no problem with wojo going after them.  Same standard i have for high school kids, again i stated those are my beliefs n i think most fans would be in agreement.  You then bring up the administration and cell phone spelling errors?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
Pretty sad.  Like keefe says u take pot shots n then run.  U state the numerous illustration that we have seen of why jucos are bad and leave it at that.  U state jucos are bad for continuity yet we hit 2 sweet 16s and an elite 8?  I say as long as the young men are graduating, representing the university well, and winning ball games i have no problem with wojo going after them.  Same standard i have for high school kids, again i stated those are my beliefs n i think most fans would be in agreement.  You then bring up the administration and cell phone spelling errors?

The bolded part is the issue, especially with two year JUCOs.

As I understand the issue, junior college transfers tend to come to Marquette with a lot of phy ed credits, and are often phy ed majors.  Those credits transfer in as credits, but not toward any degree program.  Therefore two years are often not nearly enough for a player to come in and graduate in a reasonable time frame.

There were three two year Jucos under Buzz.  Jae, who is nowhere near graduating.  Dwight, who may have graduated but it look him extra time.  And Jameel, who committed to MU early enough that the University was able to work with him to get on a non-phy ed path that would have enabled him to graduate.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
Dwight Buycks is less than a year removed from representing MU in the NBA off of an MVP season in the French league and he hasn't even warranted a mention here yet? Ouch.

And I love JFB & DJO, but they never took over games on a holistic level on such a consistent basis the way Crowder did during his BEast POY season. Crowder had Lazar's senior year mentality combined with JFB's offensive efficiency and was a serious BEast DPOY candidate too. No question in my mind it was the second best single season performance at MU since Wade took us to the F4. Crowder is not only our best JUCO in recent memory, but our best college player since Wade.

That seems a bit extreme man. Lazar put a team on his back Jae had DJO and Gardner to help carry the load. I would argue lazar and McNeal were better. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
That seems a bit extreme man. Lazar put a team on his back Jae had DJO and Gardner to help carry the load. I would argue lazar and McNeal were better. 

I could go on and on about how incredible Jae's senior season actually was, but I'll use shorthand here.

http://valueaddbasketball.com/ballall.html

Dwyane Wade, 2003: 11.40, #3 overall in the nation
Jerel McNeal, 2009: 5.6, #80 overall in the nation
Lazar Hayward, 2010: 6.49, #34 overall in the nation
Jae Crowder, 2012: 11.12, #2 overall in the nation

Jae was everywhere all the time that year. A beast all over the court. A slight cut above two other great, great MU players in Lazar and Jerel.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »

Sad to say, me too. The worst part is that I was watching that game with a Washington alum and I hated that he had bragging rights for the entire offseason!

I appreciate everything Jimmy did at MU, and he was a heck of a player, but he was totally bitch-slapped on arguably the most important play of his college career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »
Jimmy's defensive performance against Holloway was as good as any I've ever seen by a Marquette player and it came on the big stage.

Zip 'em up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »

I never think about this. Ever.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
Translation:
Crean jucos sucked but acceptable
Buzz jucos really good but squirmy
It all comes back to the same agenda