'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last Scholarship May Go To........a Juco?  (Read 60830 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

tower912

• All American
Re: Last Scholarship May Go To........a Juco?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »
Now that would be funny.    But would it be squirmy?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »
Now that would be funny.    But would it be squirmy?

It was only squirmy when a JUCO guy was 'cruitin' one of his own. When it's a Dukie guy doing it, it's a blend between branching out, offering opportunity and thinking outside the box.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
If he can play, who cares where he comes from.  Obviously, he will need the grades but I am sure he looks at Heldt, who might not be ready as a frosh to step in, and the possiblility
of Henry staying one year.  Loses Henry and Taylor, that would leave only Fisher, Heldt and Burton on the front line in 2 years, bring in a juco and you are set for the following 2 years
with experience.  OK I forgot Wally but I consider him a small forward.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
It was only squirmy when a JUCO guy was 'cruitin' one of his own. When it's a Dukie guy doing it, it's a blend between branching out, offering opportunity and thinking outside the box.
But wait...The Midwest Duke does not recruit JUCO's.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
Not sure how this guy plays but 6'7" 200 lbs could be more of a 3/ swing too, not exactly a big dude for a 19-20 year old (he is tall)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_oIp7w7LM

Video from his high school days.

He was a three star according to ESPN coming out of high school. Currently 6th in 247's composite rankings for JUCOs.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »

LOL - nailed it, mug.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
what's with the JUCO hate? Crowder and DJO were the best players under Buzz and they both came from Juco.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »
It's only squirmy when kids are at diploma mills and needing to do wild gymnastics to get eligible.  It's also not good, as we've illustrated many times over, to have kids only around 2 years.  Some of our JUCOs have been 3 year players, the longer they are around, the better continuity for the program.

An occasional JUCO to shore up a hole, sure.  When you have 40% of your team JUCOs, no thanks.  Let other schools do that, plenty of exemplary programs have proved over and over again you don't need to go down that path, and MU doesn't either.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
I'll accept that I contributed in this thread to a negativism towards JUCOs, but I meant it more as an observation of Buzz's comfort zone and success vs. the fears of the MU administration.

Stories indicate that Buzz wanted to continue recruiting JUCOs and also imply that the administration was nervous about the character/academic performance of some recruits.

From the outside (and I am very outside), it seems that Buzz took only the best of the best when it came to JUCOs (JFB, Jae, Dwight, Joe and DJO).Maybe he wanted/got some others that didn't easily fit the admin's image of a 'proper' MU student.

Maybe that was part of the opening of the door that Buzz chose to walk out and MU chose to let him walk out of.

Regardless, MU's recent history of JUCOs must compare favorably to that of numerous other schools. Huggy at Cincy (and punching a horse) comes to mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »
What is confusing to me is when he can actually come to MU. Common sense would be he is a recruit for next year. However, if you read the article he is the top unsigned junior college player, which indicates that he could possibly join the team this year, which would have to be the second semester. That would make more sense as to why Wojo is recruiting him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
what's with the JUCO hate? Crowder and DJO were the best players under Buzz and they both came from Juco.

No JUCO hate here.   I celebrate Buzz's success with them.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
What is confusing to me is when he can actually come to MU. Common sense would be he is a recruit for next year. However, if you read the article he is the top unsigned junior college player, which indicates that he could possibly join the team this year, which would have to be the second semester. That would make more sense as to why Wojo is recruiting him.

He's the top *uncommitted* player for 2015.  I am pretty sure he was a non-qualifier so he wouldn't be able to come until next fall assuming he earns his associates degree.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »

He's the top *uncommitted* player for 2015.  I am pretty sure he was a non-qualifier so he wouldn't be able to come until next fall assuming he earns his associates degree.
No hate on JUCO's. Lots of big time players at MU came from JUCO's. Not sure about all of these:
Butler, DJO, Crowder, Mike Flory, Benny Moore, and even going back to Al, (I believe) Whitehead, Lackey, Tatum?, and likely several I missed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
No hate on JUCO's. Lots of big time players at MU came from JUCO's. Not sure about all of these:
Butler, DJO, Crowder, Mike Flory, Benny Moore, and even going back to Al, (I believe) Whitehead, Lackey, Tatum?, and likely several I missed.
Kinsella, Lott, Blackledge (after missing out on his teammate, Stemler).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
Kinsella, Lott, Blackledge (after missing out on his teammate, Stemler).
Sorry, did not miss those, they were not studs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Lance Stemler!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »
Sorry, did not miss those, they were not studs.

Nice guys, glad they were at MU, but you are correct.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »

IMO JFB was the best judo under Buzz.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »

Hmmmm...  I would for sure put Jae and JFB ahead of DJO.  But Jae was POY for the BE.  But we had JFB for three years.

I guess I agree with you.

source?

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »

Was he any good at basketball?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »

Pretty sure that judo was under Crean....along with ATV's

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Hmmmm...  I would for sure put Jae and JFB ahead of DJO.  But Jae was POY for the BE.  But we had JFB for three years.

I guess I agree with you.

I feel DJO was the better college player than Butler. He didn't have the hype train that benefitted Butler but considering he stepped in immediately and was pivotal every single one of his three years puts him over Butler in my boat. It's a battle with Crowder for me as to best JUCO under Buzz but that BE POY and Crowder's three week push at the end of that season likely puts him over the top.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
I feel DJO was the better college player than Butler. He didn't have the hype train that benefitted Butler but considering he stepped in immediately and was pivotal every single one of his three years puts him over Butler in my boat. It's a battle with Crowder for me as to best JUCO under Buzz but that BE POY and Crowder's three week push at the end of that season likely puts him over the top.

Hype train that benefitted Butler? He arrived with almost no fanfare (as opposed to DJO and Jae) and was pretty much under the radar until the last half of his senior year. He was the least hyped star at MU in a very long time.