[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Benefit Concert to Support James Foley Scholarship at Marquette  (Read 7759 times)

mug644

• All American
Re: OT: Benefit Concert to Support James Foley Scholarship at Marquette
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
Kurt told me when I chatted with him the beginning of the month that they agreed to do it because Jim Foley's family told him Jim was a big fan of the Bodeans.

Considering that by the time Jim got to MU in '92, when the BoDeans were already no longer really a Milwaukee band (except for Summerfest), because they were bigger than that it's great that he was a big fan. And so great that Kurt is willing to both adjust his schedule and do it as a benefit.

Thanks Kurt!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
I remember 10,000 Maniacs playing sometime in 1987-1991 timeframe.  I recall a getting a parody name of "10,000 Koreshes" stuck in my head.

Tracy Chapman opened up for them....cost of the concert was $3.  Chapman got on the stage and no one knew who the hell she was.  By the time she was done, standing ovation.  Within about a month or so, her songs were hitting the radio.

It was 1988.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »
What was the band that was a bit like INXS with a like singer that was totally egotistic like Bono and a sound like Red Hot Chili Peppers? That was 89-90ish. Wow, what a show they put on.

Would that band be Big Bang Theory?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
Would that band be Big Bang Theory?

That's them. Some serious groovin' to that funk.

Thanks for remembering.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
What was the name of the Neil Diamond husband-and-wife-team cover band? Thunder and Lightning?

The benefit concert for Jim Foley sounds awesome. For those of you not in Chicago, The Vic theatre is a classic, legendary theatre on the North Side.

I think it's very cool that this scholarship at Marquette is happening.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
Just got tickets to this. Lots of MU people in Chicago and Milwaukee going I hear. BoDeans are confirmed.
We Are Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
Just got tickets to this. Lots of MU people in Chicago and Milwaukee going I hear. BoDeans are confirmed.

They posted the show on their Facebook page.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
They posted the show on their Facebook page.

Very cool. I'm guessing whatever show had a contract where they couldn't advertise the show in Chicago is now over. It's very cool that the BoDeans are playing. I don't know if it's true, but I heard the BoDeans were playing for free and even paying their own way to get to and from Chicago. Either way, should be a great show. I'm looking forward to it and it's obviously for a very good cause. Foley was a year ahead of me and everyone I know who knew him talks about what an incredible dude he was.
We Are Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
While reading the latest Rolling Stone, there is a James Foley mention by Bono in the U2 cover story.  Avenue Commons, you said that everyone you knew who knew him talks about what an incredible dude he was.  Interestingly he seemed to even have touched Bono.

Bono rewrote the lyrics of "Iris," an intimate song about his late mother, after being deeply moved by the late ISIS hostage James Foley's letter to his family.
"I realized," Bono says, "that we will all be remembered, and we remember our loved ones, by the least profound moments. The simplest moments. In the letter he says to his brother, 'I remember playing werewolf in the dark with you.' If I make a swift exit, stage left, my family and friends will not be thinking about debt cancelation or, you know, fighting for HIV/AIDS medication, or U2 being on the cover of Rolling Stone, or 50 million people listening to Songs of Innocence.  They might remember some stupid face I made at breakfast."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-take-on-the-world-inside-rolling-stones-new-issue-20141023#ixzz3I7lo79UF
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
Considering that by the time Jim got to MU in '92, when the BoDeans were already no longer really a Milwaukee band (except for Summerfest), because they were bigger than that it's great that he was a big fan. And so great that Kurt is willing to both adjust his schedule and do it as a benefit.

Thanks Kurt!

BoDeans played the Varsity in July at the alumni reunion

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »
While reading the latest Rolling Stone, there is a James Foley mention by Bono in the U2 cover story.  Avenue Commons, you said that everyone you knew who knew him talks about what an incredible dude he was.  Interestingly he seemed to even have touched Bono.

Bono rewrote the lyrics of "Iris," an intimate song about his late mother, after being deeply moved by the late ISIS hostage James Foley's letter to his family.
"I realized," Bono says, "that we will all be remembered, and we remember our loved ones, by the least profound moments. The simplest moments. In the letter he says to his brother, 'I remember playing werewolf in the dark with you.' If I make a swift exit, stage left, my family and friends will not be thinking about debt cancelation or, you know, fighting for HIV/AIDS medication, or U2 being on the cover of Rolling Stone, or 50 million people listening to Songs of Innocence.  They might remember some stupid face I made at breakfast."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-take-on-the-world-inside-rolling-stones-new-issue-20141023#ixzz3I7lo79UF
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

My goodness. I had wondered if the story of Jim Foley was more apparent to me because we both went to Marquette and were about the same age. But reading that really reinforces just how major Jim Foley's story is. He certainly left this earth with the world knowing he was here. Looking forward to the concert on Friday even more.
We Are Marquette

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone from MUScoop that attended the James Foley Scholarship Benefit Concert last Friday as well as those that helped spread the word about the show. I was handing out the VIP passes and had a chance to talk to a lot of people and many said they knew about the show because of MUScoop.

Now that we've had a chance to sort out everything after the show, I wanted to share that we raised $29,051 for the James Foley Scholarship at Marquette University. Thanks to Hello Dave, the Predictors and especially the BoDeans. All the bands donated not just their performances, but their travel costs as well.

The main floor of the Vic and the balconies were packed with over 800 tickets sold. It was an incredible show to honor a great man who loved Marquette. Jim Foley's spirit will continue to live on with the scholarship at Marquette. An amazing expression of Marquette Spirit.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Ring Out Ahoya. 

feedback